Gas Law Problem: Finding Final Pressure in Two Connected Containers

In summary, two containers (A and B) with different volumes and temperatures are connected by a thin tube with a closed valve. After the valve is opened, the gas will flow between the two containers until they reach equilibrium in pressure. Using the equations PV=nRT and the fact that P/n is constant for each container, the final pressure can be calculated by setting the pressures in each container equal to each other. The final number of moles in each container can also be determined by setting the initial and final total number of moles equal to each other.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

Containers A and B hold the same gas. The volume of B is four times the volume of A. The two containers are connected by a thin tube (negligible volume) and a valve that is closed. The gas in A is at 300 K and pressure 1.0 * 10^ Pa. The gas in B is at 400 K and 5.0 * 10^5 Pa. Heaters will maintain the temperatures of A and B even after the valve is opened. After the valve is opened, gas will flow one way or the other until A and B have equal pressure. What is this final pressure?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The part with the two different temperatures confuses me. Here's what I tried:
Maybe this can be considered a constant temperature process

P1V1=P2V2 Va = Volume of A Vb = 4Va

(1.0 * 10^5 Pa)(Va) = (P2)(5Va)
P2= 20000 Pa ---- I am quite sure this is not correct because if I choose the other gas, I get a different answer. Also, I think the number of moles is changing because the gas flows between the compartments. Could somebody give me a hint as to how to work in all of these factors into an equation? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
At equilibrium:

1. Pressure is identical in both tanks.
2. Amount of gas is identical to initial.

This gives two equations in two variables. None of them is pressure, but once you know how much gas is in each tank, calculating pressure is a breeze.

Could be it can be done much easier, that's my first idea.

I've been working on this, but still can't figure out what to do:

nb=moles in b initially na=moles in a initially

(5*10^Pa)(4Va) = nb(8.31)(400K) nb= 601.68Va
(1*10^5)(Va)=na(8.31)(300K) na= 40.11Va

nb= 15na, so initially there are 15na moles

(4/5)(16na) = 12.8na the moles that go into B
(1/5)(16na) = 3.2na the moles that go into A

(Pa)(Va)=(3.2na)(8.31)(300K)
(Pb)(Vb)=(12.8na)(8.31)(400K)

but if I solve for the pressures and set them equal, all the variables cancel

bcjochim07 said:
I've been working on this, but still can't figure out what to do:

nb=moles in b initially na=moles in a initially

(5*10^Pa)(4Va) = nb(8.31)(400K) nb= 601.68Va
(1*10^5)(Va)=na(8.31)(300K) na= 40.11Va

nb= 15na, so initially there are 15na moles

(4/5)(16na) = 12.8na the moles that go into B
(1/5)(16na) = 3.2na the moles that go into A

(Pa)(Va)=(3.2na)(8.31)(300K)
(Pb)(Vb)=(12.8na)(8.31)(400K)

but if I solve for the pressures and set them equal, all the variables cancel

After the valve is opened, the number of moles in each tank will change (but the total number of moles will be the same). You found that initially the total moles are equal to [tex]n_{\rm total}= 16 n_{a,i}[/tex]; what will this expression be at the end?

Also, note that for each tank (separately) the quantity [itex]P/n[/itex] must be constant (since V and T are constant for each tank). Using these should give you the answer; what do you get?

Ok let me try it:

for tank A

p1/n1 = p2/n2 (1.0*10^5Pa)/(na) = (P2/3.2na) P2= 320,000 Pa

(5.0 * 10 ^5Pa)/(15na) = (P2/12.8na) P2 = 426667Pa

Why didn't these come out the same?

The numbers you got for the final number of moles (3.2 and 12.8) are not correct. You got those numbers by assuming that the tank with four times the volume would end up with four times the number of moles, but that's not true since their temperatures are different.

Here is what you know:

[tex]
\begin{align}
n_{\rm total}&= 16 n_{a1}\nonumber\\
\frac{P_{a1}}{n_{a1}} &= \frac{P_{a2}}{n_{a2}} \nonumber\\
\frac{P_{b1}}{n_{b1}} &= \frac{P_{b2}}{n_{b2}}\nonumber
\end{align}
[/tex]

and you can also use [itex]PV=nRT[/itex] for any tank at anyone point in time.

By setting [itex]P_{a2}=P_{b2}[/itex] you can find out how [itex]n_{\rm total}[/itex] and [itex]n_{a2}[/itex] are related. Once you have that, you can calculate [itex]P_{a2}[/itex].

Related to Gas Law Problem: Finding Final Pressure in Two Connected Containers

What is the gas law problem of finding final pressure in two connected containers?

The gas law problem of finding final pressure in two connected containers involves calculating the final pressure in a system where two containers of gas are connected by a valve. This type of problem is often encountered in chemistry and physics courses and requires knowledge of gas laws such as Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, and the Combined Gas Law.

What are the key steps to solving a gas law problem of finding final pressure in two connected containers?

The key steps to solving a gas law problem of finding final pressure in two connected containers are: 1) identifying the gas laws involved, 2) setting up an equation using the appropriate gas law formula, 3) substituting known values and solving for the unknown variable, and 4) checking the units and significant figures for accuracy.

How do you know which gas law to use in a problem of finding final pressure in two connected containers?

The gas law used in a problem of finding final pressure in two connected containers depends on the specific details given in the problem. For example, if the problem involves a change in temperature and volume, then Charles's Law would be used. If the problem involves a change in pressure and volume, then Boyle's Law would be used. The Combined Gas Law can be used if the problem involves changes in all three variables.

What are the common units used in gas law problems of finding final pressure in two connected containers?

The most common units used in gas law problems of finding final pressure in two connected containers are atmospheres (atm), liters (L), and Kelvin (K). However, other units such as milliliters (mL) and Celsius (°C) may also be used. It is important to make sure all units are consistent and to convert if necessary before solving the problem.

What are some real-life applications of gas law problems of finding final pressure in two connected containers?

Gas law problems of finding final pressure in two connected containers have many real-life applications, such as understanding the behavior of gases in a scuba tank, determining the amount of gas needed in a car's airbag, and calculating the pressure in a water bottle after being opened. These types of problems also have practical applications in industries such as manufacturing, where the pressure of gases in containers must be carefully controlled for safety and efficiency.