Gas mix of helium and nitrogen

In summary: I think what you are trying to say is correct, but I think you may have misunderstood the question. The question was asking for the value of ##\kappa = c_p/c_v## for the mixed gas. So the ratio of specific heats for the mixture, not the ratio of specific heats for the individual gases. Since the gases are mixed, you cannot simply add the specific heats together. The correct answer would be ##\kappa = \frac{c_p}{c_v} = \frac{1.43R}{0.96R} = 1.489##, assuming R is the gas constant with units of J/mol·K.
mk9898

Homework Statement

A vessel contains a mix of helium and nitrogen (ideal gases). The ratio of the partial pressures is known: ##\frac{p_{N2}}{pHe} = 5##. The partial pressure is the pressure that a single component alone would exert.

Homework Equations

What is the value of ##\kappa = c_p/c_V## for the mixed gas

The Attempt at a Solution

##f_{N_2} = 5## and ##f_{He} = 3##. ##\kappa = 1 + \frac{2}{f}##

Of the mole mixture, N_2 pertains 5 times more moles than He. That means:

##\kappa = \frac{5}{6}(1 + \frac{2}{5}) + \frac{1}{6}(1 + \frac{2}{3}) ##

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##\kappa=c_p/c_v##, shouldn't you find the weighted values of ##c_v## and ##c_p## for the mixture separately and then take the ratio?

I'm not sure. Meaning:

##c_v = \frac{5}{6}(\frac{5*k}{2m_{N_2}}) + \frac{1}{6}(\frac{3*k}{2m_{He}}) ##
##c_p = \frac{5}{6}(c_v+\frac{k}{m_{N_2}}) + \frac{1}{6}(c_v+\frac{k}{m_{He}})##

Wouldn't that be redundant?

Last edited:
Isn't it true that, in these units and since you will be taking ratios anyway, cv = 3 for He and cv=5 for N2? Isn't it also true that cp = 1 + cv? Or are we talking about different things past each other?

So then

##\kappa = \frac{\frac{5}{6}(c_v+\frac{k}{m_{N_2}}) + \frac{1}{6}(c_v+\frac{k}{m_{He}})}{\frac{5}{6}(\frac{5*k}{2m_{N_2}}) + \frac{1}{6}(\frac{3*k}{2m_{He}})} ##

Right?

Last edited:
Looks right, but what is ##k/m##?

Ok I made some changes to the equations once again. It is in fact ##c_p = c_v + \frac{k}{m}## and not ##c_p = c_v + 1##. Given my lecture notes and textbook. Where do you get ##c_p = c_v + 1##?

I am familiar with ##c_p=c_v+R##. If the specific heats are expressed in units of ##R##, then ##c_p=c_v+1##. That's why I asked what ##k/m## is in #6. Are we on the same page?

Yea ok I believe yours is molar and my equation is without moles considered. k ist the Boltzmann-Constant and m is the mass of the molecules. We are on the same page. Could you give me your thoughts on the answer in #5?

#5 looks right.

Cool thanks. Just a side question. Do you know a website/book that goes through the derivation of your equation? I spent quite a bit of time trying to find a compete derivation but I just find tidbits here and there that just confuses me even more. I also have molar capacities in my lecture notes and they for example, that

## C_p = \frac{f+2}{2}R##

That looks much different than yours.

mk9898 said:
That looks much different than yours.
Not really. For a monatomic gas like helium ##f=3## so that ##C_v=(3/2)R## and ##C_p=(5/2)##.
mk9898 said:
Do you know a website/book that goes through the derivation of your equation?
The derivation is simple.
Start with the First Law for an isobaric (constant pressure) process
##\Delta U = Q-W## where ##W## = work done by the gas.
Substitute ##\Delta U = C_v\Delta T##.
By the definition of ##C_p##, ##Q=C_p \Delta T##
The work done by the gas at constant pressure is ##W=p\Delta V## and from the ideal gas law when the pressure is constant, ##p \Delta V = R \Delta T## (this is per mole so ##n=1##).
Putting all this back into the First Law
## C_v\Delta T=C_p \Delta T-R \Delta T##. Cancel ##\Delta T## and move terms around with sign changes to get
##C_p -C_v=R ##.

Likes mk9898
Thank you kuruman. Why would it be of interest to look at every mole n? Meaning, setting n =1.

mk9898 said:
Thank you kuruman. Why would it be of interest to look at every mole n? Meaning, setting n =1.
Because if you know that the molar specific heat at constant volume is ##C_v##, then the change in internal energy of 1 mole of gas when the temperature changes by ##\Delta T## will be ##\Delta U = 1\times C_v \Delta T##. For ##1.83## moles of gas it will be ##\Delta U = 1.83\times C_v \Delta T## and for ##39.98## moles it will be ##\Delta U = 39.98\times C_v \Delta T##. Do you see where this is going? Same goes for ##C_p##.

I would venture that (cp/cv)(mixture) = 1.625

Dr Dr news said:

How did you get 1.625?

Dr Dr news said:
1.625 is definitely incorrect. The molar heat capacity of the mixture at constant volume is 2.33333R, and the molar heat capacity of the mixture at constant pressure is 3.33333R. So the ratio of the specific heats is 1.43.

My mistake,. Upon further review, I get cp/cv(mixture of 5 parts N2 and 1 part He) = 1.43 based on the following cv(He) = (3/2)RT, cv(N2) = (5/2)RT, cv(mix) = cv(He)/6 + cv(N2)(5/6) = (3/12 + 25/12)RT = (28/12)RT; cp(He) = (5/2)RT, cp(N2) = (7/2)RT, cp(mix) = cp(He)/6 +(5/6)cp(N2) = (5/12 + 35/12)RT = (40/12)RT; and finally cp/cv(mix) = 40/28 = 1.43 Which make sense since the specific heat ratio for air is 1.40 which is primarily diatomic N and diatomic O.

Chestermiller said:
1.625 is definitely incorrect. The molar heat capacity of the mixture at constant volume is 2.33333R, and the molar heat capacity of the mixture at constant pressure is 3.33333R. So the ratio of the specific heats is 1.43.
No problem I found the error.

Dr Dr news said:
My mistake,. Upon further review, I get cp/cv(mixture of 5 parts N2 and 1 part He) = 1.43 based on the following cv(He) = (3/2)RT, cv(N2) = (5/2)RT, cv(mix) = cv(He)/6 + cv(N2)(5/6) = (3/12 + 25/12)RT = (28/12)RT; cp(He) = (5/2)RT, cp(N2) = (7/2)RT, cp(mix) = cp(He)/6 +(5/6)cp(N2) = (5/12 + 35/12)RT = (40/12)RT; and finally cp/cv(mix) = 40/28 = 1.43 Which make sense since the specific heat ratio for air is 1.40 which is primarily diatomic N and diatomic O.
I need to slow down. The temperatures in the above should be disregarded.

1. What is the purpose of using a gas mix of helium and nitrogen?

The purpose of using a gas mix of helium and nitrogen is to create a breathing gas that is suitable for diving and other applications where high pressures are involved. Helium and nitrogen are both inert gases, meaning they do not react with other substances, and they have different physical properties that make them useful for different purposes.

2. What is the ratio of helium to nitrogen in a typical gas mix?

The ratio of helium to nitrogen in a gas mix can vary depending on the specific application, but a common ratio is 80% helium and 20% nitrogen. This ratio is often used for deep-sea diving, as the helium helps to prevent nitrogen narcosis, which is a condition caused by breathing too much nitrogen at high pressures.

3. How is the gas mix of helium and nitrogen created?

The gas mix of helium and nitrogen is created by combining the two gases in a specialized gas blending system. This system allows for precise control over the ratio of gases and ensures that the mixture is consistent and safe for use. The resulting gas mix is then compressed and stored in tanks for use in various applications.

4. What are the benefits of using a gas mix of helium and nitrogen?

There are several benefits to using a gas mix of helium and nitrogen. One of the main benefits is that it allows for safe and effective diving at high pressures, as the helium helps to prevent nitrogen narcosis. Additionally, the use of helium in the gas mix can also reduce the risk of decompression sickness, as it allows for faster elimination of nitrogen from the body.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with using a gas mix of helium and nitrogen?

While the use of a gas mix of helium and nitrogen can provide many benefits, there are also some potential risks to be aware of. If the mixture is not properly blended or if there is a sudden loss of pressure, there is a risk of oxygen toxicity. This can be mitigated by using proper equipment and following safety protocols. Additionally, helium is a non-renewable resource, so there is a concern about sustainability and the impact on the environment.