Gas solubility in gas versus liquid

In summary: Carbonated beverages will "go flat" more quickly when the gas is dissolved in the liquid. Household ammonia will stop "reeking" after a while when it is mixed with air because the gas has dissipated. Divers will reach equilibrium with the nitrogen bubbles in their blood faster than someone who doesn't dive often.
rwooduk
Hopefully this question makes sense; when talking about solubility of a gas does this have any relation to its ability to mix with another gas?

i.e. gas solubility in gas, versus, gas solubility in liquid

In ultrasonic cavitation some say that a more soluble gas can more easily enter the bubble from the liquid and cushion the collapse of the bubble, others say a more soluble gas is more able to leave the bubble into the liquid. The latter makes sense to me, the former does not. Why should a gas dissolved in a liquid be more able to enter a gaseous bubble in the liquid because of it being "more soluble".

Any ideas / comments welcome!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kinetics of solution: steam traps/lines "rattle" when air free, the "latter" case.

Likes rwooduk
Bystander said:
Kinetics of solution: steam traps/lines "rattle" when air free, the "latter" case.

Thanks for the reply! Could you elaborate a little? Which part of this relates to solubility?

"Steam" is very soluble in water (infinitely) is it not --- so much so, that two phase aqueous systems (zero dissolved gases) rattle in containers rather than sloshing.

Likes rwooduk
Bystander said:
"Steam" is very soluble in water (infinitely) is it not --- so much so, that two phase aqueous systems (zero dissolved gases) rattle in containers rather than sloshing.

Okay, I'm not familiar with the terms "rattling" and "sloshing" so I'm a little confused. Let me ask it this way;

If you use a syringe to 'push' a soluble gas into a liquid, the rate at which it would be able to be pushed would increase with solubility.

If you now use a syringe to 'extract' the gas from the liquid would it's solubility influence the rate at which you could do it? I'm assuming not.

Apologies this question may not make much sense, I'm just formulating on what I've read in some papers.

rwooduk said:
I'm assuming not.
How rapidly do carbonated beverages go "flat?" Or, does household ammonia stop reeking of ammonia? Compare those hours/days to reach equilibrium with the rate of evolution of nitrogen bubbles in the blood streams of divers.

Likes rwooduk
Bystander said:
How rapidly do carbonated beverages go "flat?" Or, does household ammonia stop reeking of ammonia? Compare those hours/days to reach equilibrium with the rate of evolution of nitrogen bubbles in the blood streams of divers.

Okay, I have Friday afternoon mental block but I think I see what you are saying; yes there is a difference.

1. What is the difference between gas solubility in gas versus liquid?

The main difference is in the state of matter. In gas-gas solubility, both substances are in the gas phase, while in gas-liquid solubility, one substance is in the gas phase and the other is in the liquid phase.

2. Which factors affect gas solubility in gas versus liquid?

For gas-gas solubility, factors such as temperature, pressure, and the chemical properties of the substances can affect solubility. In gas-liquid solubility, temperature and pressure also play a role, but the chemical properties of the liquid solvent have a stronger influence on solubility.

3. Why are some gases more soluble in liquids than others?

The solubility of a gas in a liquid depends on the strength of the intermolecular forces between the gas molecules and the liquid solvent. Gases with stronger intermolecular forces, such as polar gases, are more soluble in liquids compared to gases with weaker intermolecular forces, such as non-polar gases.

4. How does temperature affect gas solubility in gas versus liquid?

In general, as temperature increases, gas solubility in a liquid decreases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for gas molecules to escape the liquid and enter the gas phase. However, there are some exceptions to this trend, such as in the case of endothermic reactions where gas solubility may increase with temperature.

5. Can gas solubility in gas versus liquid be reversed?

Yes, gas solubility in either gas or liquid can be reversed by changing the temperature, pressure, or chemical properties of the substances. For example, if the temperature is lowered or the pressure is increased, gas molecules will be forced back into the liquid phase, increasing gas solubility in the liquid. Additionally, chemical reactions between the gas and liquid can also affect solubility.