Gas turbine that uses pressurised air as a school project

In summary, the person is trying to measure the pressure in a gas turbine and is looking for advice on how to do it.
pain90
hello. I have to design and test a gas turbine that uses pressurised air as a project. however the problem is, I don't know where to start.
can anyone please help me?
do I start with the blades or the housing?
I have seen some videos on youtube, but this is a university project and I think its going to be more complicated. I might need to explain the blade angles ect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Generally you should start by understanding what a gas turbine is and how it works.

There is no set rule for what bit to design first - but once you start making design decisions you will be restricting your choices in other components. Learning about this is part of the point of this sort of project so we are very limited in what we can tell you in advance.

Note: University projects do not have to be complicated ... but you should be able to relate what you are doing to some sort of coursework.

thank you
is it possible that you might know of any books or internet pages where I can get some info.
like blade angles and why they are designed to have such an angle?
I understand the basic principles of it e.g. the compressor, combustion chamber and turbine.
but I can't find anything more than that. how it all actually works.
I would be thankful if anyone could help with this.

My plan is to try to understand the theory of the 3 main parts and then try build one.

Fine detail comes with a manual for a specific machine.
The angle of the blades is just one design parameter and they are all related - different machines will have different angles.
For your project you should experiment.

so what you are saying is that the angles should be similar to the conventional turbine (steam turbine)?
in other wards the pressure should be resultant forces acting on the blades. the pressure will be above and below the blades?

so Gas turbines blades are designed in the same way?
that is the problem, i am not sure if they are different or not.

and also

I want to work in a shipping industry or a power plant for my career.
however the university I go to have made us choose 3 options for our final year subjects.
I have chosen a thermo dynamics final year project.
but I want to know, what would be better to get into this type of career?
I have chosen
  • fluid and solids handling
  • materials
but should I choose for the 3rd option, thermo dynamics or process imprudent techniques?

I understand every one wants these kind of jobs and that they are hard to get into. but how can I have the advantage.

or won't employers seem to care, as long as you have the degree? I live in UK.
thanks

because they have to train you to become an engineer even with you degree

so what you are saying is that the angles should be similar to the conventional turbine (steam turbine)?
No - I am saying prettt much the exact opposite: you should design your blade angle to suit the purpose you have in mind ... in your case: compressed air.
Since it is a school project, the quickest way for you to get a decent design is to just experiment: make some blades and test them.

...however the university I go to have made us choose 3 options for our final year subjects.
Sounds odd. Which University, and which degree are you reading for?

I want to work in a shipping industry or a power plant for my career.
... you mean as an engineer?

The extent the degree detail matters will depend on the specifics. i.e. a nuclear power plant is likely to be a bit more fussy about the details than someone running the engines on a channel ferry. But this is an "academic advise" question - ask in that forum and you'll probably attract someone who knows the UK system well.

I need to design a pressure measurement concept for the compressed air turbine. but I want to keep it simple.
1 of the aims of this project is to get pressure readings.
I was thinking of maybe getting a car tire pressure gauge to measure the pressure.
I was going to add a pipe by the exhaust and seal the one end. and then attach the pressure gage there.
could that work?

upload_2014-10-6_18-36-30.png

that's pretty much my idea. the blue is a pipe with a valve on top.

could this work in order to get some readings?

Can anyone help me by telling me how I can get some measurement of a STL File. I have to do a simulation on solidworks, but all that is given to me is a STL files. help please.

What is a gas turbine?

A gas turbine is a type of engine that converts the chemical energy of fuel into mechanical energy through combustion. The mechanical energy is then used to power a generator, producing electricity.

How does a gas turbine work?

A gas turbine works by compressing air and mixing it with fuel in a combustion chamber. The compressed air and fuel mixture ignites, creating a high-temperature, high-pressure gas. This gas then expands and flows through turbine blades, causing them to rotate and power the generator.

What is the role of pressurized air in a gas turbine?

Pressurized air is an essential component of a gas turbine. It is used to drive the compressor, which compresses the air before it enters the combustion chamber. This results in a more efficient combustion process, leading to increased power output.

What are the advantages of using a gas turbine that uses pressurized air?

There are several advantages to using a gas turbine that uses pressurized air. Firstly, it is more efficient than other types of engines, resulting in lower fuel consumption. It also has a higher power-to-weight ratio, making it more compact and easier to transport. Additionally, gas turbines have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance compared to other engines.

How can I incorporate a gas turbine that uses pressurized air into a school project?

There are various ways to incorporate a gas turbine that uses pressurized air into a school project. You could build a model gas turbine using materials such as cardboard, paper, and plastic. You could also research and present on the history and development of gas turbines, or explore the environmental impact of using gas turbines as a source of energy.