Gauge Pressure problem (algebra based)

In summary, the gauge pressure at a depth of 100 m in water can be calculated using the equation Pgauge = rho*g*h, where rho represents the density of the liquid, g represents gravity, and h represents the depth. The symbol 'rho' is commonly used to represent density and should not be confused with the symbol 'd' for distance.
guynameddanny

Homework Statement

What is the gauge pressure at a depth of 100 m. in water?

Homework Equations

Pgauge = rho*g*h (or the pressure above atmospheric pressure)

The Attempt at a Solution

I missed a day of class (and on a summer class, that's a LOT of material). I am working problems that are assigned by the teacher over the internet. I'm sure these change of problems are things I can figure out, the problem I am having is understanding the equation for this problem. I can't seem to find where it talks about it in my book, I'm thinking because the teacher used either alternative symbols (because of limited keyboard characters), or he just likes to be different from the book.

I'm really just looking for help understanding the equation, what are the meanings of the different variables? I take it g*h is gravity*height (depth I presume), I'm not sure what "rho" would be though.

Edit: My theory is that "rho" is density of the liquid, not sure why he would use rho instead of something that makes sense like d.

To solve:

1000 kg/m^3 * 9.8 m/s^2 * 100 m = 980 kPa

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
'rho' (the greek letter [tex]\rho[/tex]) is the commonly used symbol to represent density (mass per unit volume). The letter 'd' is often used for 'distance'; after a while, you run out of letters to use...

The equation for gauge pressure is Pgauge = rho*g*h, where rho is the density of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the liquid.

In this problem, the gauge pressure at a depth of 100 m in water is being asked. To solve, we need to know the density of water, which is 1000 kg/m^3, the acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 m/s^2, and the depth, which is 100 m.

Substituting these values into the equation, we get:

Pgauge = (1000 kg/m^3) * (9.8 m/s^2) * (100 m) = 980,000 Pa

This is the gauge pressure at a depth of 100 m in water. It is important to note that this is the pressure above atmospheric pressure, so if we want to find the total pressure, we would need to add the atmospheric pressure to this value.

1. What is gauge pressure and how is it different from absolute pressure?

Gauge pressure is the pressure measured by a pressure gauge at a particular point in a system, relative to atmospheric pressure. It does not take into account the atmospheric pressure, whereas absolute pressure includes the atmospheric pressure as part of the measurement.

2. How do you calculate gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure can be calculated by subtracting the atmospheric pressure from the absolute pressure reading. The formula is: Pgauge = Pabsolute - Patm.

3. What units are used to measure gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) in the US, and in kilopascals (kPa) in the metric system.

4. What are some common applications of gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure is used in many different fields, including engineering, construction, and meteorology. It is commonly used to measure tire pressure, water pressure in plumbing systems, and air pressure in HVAC systems.

5. Can gauge pressure be negative?

Yes, gauge pressure can be negative. This usually occurs when the absolute pressure is less than the atmospheric pressure, such as in a vacuum or when a system is under negative pressure.