Gauged & Ungauged SUSY & SUGRA: Exploring the Differences

• Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Susy
In summary, the differences between gauged and ungauged SUSY and SUGRA are related to the introduction of gauge fields and making global symmetries local. Gauging the superpoincare group involves introducing a new gauge field, the graviton, to keep the theory invariant under local SUSY transformations. The difference between gauged and ungauged versions of SUGRA is that in the gauged version, there is an additional gauge group, while in the ungauged version, some global symmetries are not made local. In the ungauged case, U(1) gauge symmetry can still exist, but gauged supergravity is needed to describe the dyonic
latentcorpse
Hi,

I'm curious as to the differences between gauged and ungauged SUSY and gauged and ungauged SUGRA. Perhaps I can break down my problems into the following few questions:

(i) I understand that to go from SUSY to SUGRA, one must make the supersymmetry local. What does this mean? I've read that it involves gauging the superpoincare group - how do you do this?

(ii) Within the context of SUGRA (or SUSY), what's the difference between the gauged and ungauged versions? I've read online that essentially the gauged version essentially just has some additional gauge group (as the name suggests). However, we are able to add matter multiplets (in particular vector/gauge multiplets) to the ungauged theory and surely this would correspond to some gauge symmetry? What's going on here? This is really confusing me!

(iii) In the ungauged case, as I said above, it is possible to have electric charges i.e. some U(1) gauge symmetry but then why do we need gauged supergravity to describe the dyonic case of electric and magnetic charges?

(iv) What is the "flux potential" in the gauged case and what is its role as well as the role of fluxes in the gauged case?

(v) Are we allowed Fayet-Iliopoulos terms in both cases?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
latentcorpse said:
Hi,

I'm curious as to the differences between gauged and ungauged SUSY and gauged and ungauged SUGRA. Perhaps I can break down my problems into the following few questions:

(i) I understand that to go from SUSY to SUGRA, one must make the supersymmetry local. What does this mean? I've read that it involves gauging the superpoincare group - how do you do this?

(ii) Within the context of SUGRA (or SUSY), what's the difference between the gauged and ungauged versions? I've read online that essentially the gauged version essentially just has some additional gauge group (as the name suggests). However, we are able to add matter multiplets (in particular vector/gauge multiplets) to the ungauged theory and surely this would correspond to some gauge symmetry? What's going on here? This is really confusing me!

(iii) In the ungauged case, as I said above, it is possible to have electric charges i.e. some U(1) gauge symmetry but then why do we need gauged supergravity to describe the dyonic case of electric and magnetic charges?

(iv) What is the "flux potential" in the gauged case and what is its role as well as the role of fluxes in the gauged case?

(v) Are we allowed Fayet-Iliopoulos terms in both cases?

Thank you.
Hi there. I think this would deserve to be in the Beyond the Standard Model forum.

Are you familiar with the way non SUSY gauge theories are obtained? The process is the same for SUGRA. A supersymmetric theory is invariant under global SUSY transformations. When we make the transformation parameters space-time dependent, we have to introduce a new "gauge" field to keep the theory invariant. This gauge field is essentially the graviton.

I am not sure what you have in mind by gauged vs ungauged theories (do you have a reference with more details). Normally it simply means that some global symmetries are not made local. You can then add matter multiplet, scalars and spin 1 fields but the latter are not called gauge fields.
You say that the engaged case there can be some U(1) gauge symmetry. But that is a gauged theory, at least with respect to U(1). There might be some other groups that are still engaged but it is a bit confusing to me to call this an ungauged theory. Do you have a reference?

What is SUSY and SUGRA?

SUSY (Supersymmetry) is a theoretical framework in particle physics that proposes a symmetry between fermions (particles with half-integer spin) and bosons (particles with integer spin). SUGRA (Supergravity) extends this concept to include gravity, and is a possible theory of quantum gravity.

What is the difference between gauged and ungauged SUSY?

In gauged SUSY, the supersymmetry transformations are local, meaning they vary from point to point in space. In ungauged SUSY, the transformations are global, meaning they are the same everywhere in space.

What is the significance of studying gauged and ungauged SUSY and SUGRA?

Studying these theories allows us to better understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. It also has potential implications for cosmology and the search for a theory of quantum gravity.

What are the main differences between gauged and ungauged SUGRA?

In addition to the difference in supersymmetry transformations, gauged SUGRA includes gauge fields that interact with the gravitino (the supersymmetric partner of the graviton) while ungauged SUGRA does not. This leads to different predictions for the behavior of particles at high energies.

What current research is being done on gauged and ungauged SUSY and SUGRA?

Scientists are currently exploring the implications of these theories for high-energy particle collisions at the Large Hadron Collider, as well as studying their potential role in explaining dark matter and the early universe. There is also ongoing research into the mathematical properties and consistency of these theories.