Gaussian integration for complex phase

I don't see that here.In summary, the conversation discusses proving a specific integral involving exponentials and completing the square. The speaker suggests that completing the square is the easiest method, but the other person questions the correctness of the integral.
spaghetti3451
I would like to prove that

##\displaystyle{\int dx'\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{AB}}\exp\bigg[i\frac{(x''-x')^{2}}{A}\bigg]\exp\bigg[i\frac{(x'-x)^{2}}{B}\bigg]=\frac{1}{\sqrt{A+B}}\exp\bigg[i\frac{(x''-x)^{2}}{A+B}\bigg]}##

Is there an easy way to do this integration that does not involve squaring the brackets?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
I would like to prove that

##\displaystyle{\int dx'\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{AB}}\exp\bigg[i\frac{(x''-x')^{2}}{A}\bigg]\exp\bigg[i\frac{(x'-x)^{2}}{B}\bigg]=\frac{1}{\sqrt{A+B}}\exp\bigg[i\frac{(x''-x)^{2}}{A+B}\bigg]}##

Is there an easy way to do this integration that does not involve squaring the brackets?

Hmm. Completing the square would seem to me by far to be the easiest way to do it. Why do you want a different way?

A second comment: Are you sure that is correct? Gaussian integrals usually involve factors of [itex]\sqrt{2\pi}[/itex]

Related to Gaussian integration for complex phase

1. What is Gaussian integration for complex phase?

Gaussian integration for complex phase is a numerical method used to calculate the integral of a complex-valued function over a given interval. It involves approximating the function with a sum of Gaussian functions and using their coefficients to calculate the integral.

2. How does Gaussian integration for complex phase differ from regular Gaussian integration?

Gaussian integration for complex phase takes into account the complex-valued nature of the function being integrated, whereas regular Gaussian integration only deals with real-valued functions. This allows for a more accurate approximation and calculation of the integral.

3. What are the benefits of using Gaussian integration for complex phase?

One benefit of using Gaussian integration for complex phase is its ability to accurately calculate integrals of complex-valued functions, which can be difficult to do analytically. It also allows for a more efficient and precise numerical approximation compared to other methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using Gaussian integration for complex phase?

One limitation of Gaussian integration for complex phase is that it may not be suitable for functions with highly oscillatory behavior or singularities. In these cases, other numerical integration methods may be more appropriate.

5. How is Gaussian integration for complex phase applied in scientific research?

Gaussian integration for complex phase is commonly used in various fields of science, such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and image analysis. It allows for the efficient calculation of integrals that arise in these areas, helping to advance research and understanding in these fields.