Solving Legendre's Equation with Leibnitz Formula

• I
  • Thread starter davidge
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution of the equation for ##V(x)## and the attempts to differentiate the equation for ##P_l(x)## to prove the solution. The correct solution for ##V(x)## is given as ##V(x)=(-1)^m (1-x^2)^{m/2} \frac{d^m P_l(x)}{dx^m}## and it is shown that this satisfies the equation. The conversation also mentions the Sturm-Liouville equation and its connection to the problem.
davidge
Hi
I want to show that ##V(x) = (1-x^2)^{m/2} P_l (x)## is a solution of the equation
$$\frac{d}{dx} \bigg[(1-x^2) \frac{dV(x)}{dx} \bigg] + \bigg[l(l+1) - \frac{m^2}{1-x^2} \bigg]V(x) = 0.$$ Because the equation for ##P_l (x)## is $$\frac{d}{dx} \bigg[(1-x^2) \frac{dP_l (x)}{dx}\bigg] + l(l+1) P_l (x) = 0,$$ my attempts have been consisting of trying to differentiate the last equation ##m## times. I did not realize how to use the Leibnitz formula for general derivative, so I have been trying to differentiate it a small number of times and by induction arguing what it looks like after the ##m \text{-th}## derivative. I'm having no success in by proceeding this way, though.

However, this is just an attempt. I would like equally well any other one, because I just want to show that ##V(x)## given as above is a solution for the equation shown.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A google of the subject shows that ## V(x)=(-1)^m (1-x^2)^{m/2} \frac{d^m P_l(x)}{dx^m} ##, so that I believe the ## V(x) ## as you presented it is incorrect. ## \\ ## Editing: I think your solution for ## P_l(x) ## and its associated equation is simply the case where ## m=0 ##, but then you don't need the ## (1-x^2)^{m/2} ## term in ## V(x) ##, and the result of the ## P_l(x) ## equation follows immediately.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
A google of the subject shows that ## V(x)=(-1)^m (1-x^2)^{m/2} \frac{d^m P_l(x)}{dx^m} ##, so that I believe the ## V(x) ## as you presented it is incorrect. ## \\ ## Editing: I think your solution for ## P_l(x) ## and its associated equation is simply the case where ## m=0 ##, but then you don't need the ## (1-x^2)^{m/2} ## term in ## V(x) ##, and the result of the ## P_l(x) ## equation follows immediately.
I think you misunderstood my question. I have actually showed what the solution is, and I said I was interested in showing that that expression (I missed the ##(-1)^m## term) for ##V(x)## is a solution for the equation.

It turns out that after starting this thread I was able to derive both the Legendre's polynomials and the associated Legendre equation (and its solution) with the help of the manuscript on math-phys by @vanhees71. :smile:

Likes vanhees71 and Charles Link
It looks to me like a Sturm-Liouville equation...

Last edited:
Likes davidge

1. What is Legendre's equation and why is it important?

Legendre's equation is a second-order differential equation that arises in many areas of mathematics and physics, such as in the study of spherical harmonics and potential theory. It is important because it describes many physical phenomena and has significant applications in various fields.

2. What is the Leibnitz formula and how is it used to solve Legendre's equation?

The Leibnitz formula is a method for solving homogeneous linear differential equations with constant coefficients. In the case of Legendre's equation, it is used to find the general solution by expressing it as a power series and then finding the coefficients using the formula.

3. Can Legendre's equation be solved using other methods besides the Leibnitz formula?

Yes, Legendre's equation can also be solved using other methods such as the Frobenius method and the method of variation of parameters. However, the Leibnitz formula is often considered the most straightforward and efficient method.

4. What are the applications of solving Legendre's equation?

The solutions to Legendre's equation have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to study the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, vibrations of a circular membrane, and the distribution of heat in a sphere, among others.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Leibnitz formula to solve Legendre's equation?

One limitation is that the Leibnitz formula can only be used to solve homogeneous linear differential equations with constant coefficients, so it may not be applicable in all cases. Additionally, the method may become more complicated for higher-order equations with non-constant coefficients.