Gauss's Law for a sphere with a cavity, solving for E(r)

In summary, the conversation discusses using Gauss's Law to solve for E(r) for R1<r<R2. It suggests finding the total enclosed charge for a spherical surface of radius r where R1<r<R2 by pretending there is no cavity and subtracting the charge of the filled-in cavity, or by integrating from R1 to r. The conversation also mentions finding the volume and charge using a constant density and solving for E.
ThrawnGaming
Homework Statement
This is for my AP Physics E & M class.
Relevant Equations
closed integral(E dot dA) = qenclosed/eps0
IMG_20211212_105011_2.jpg

I am not sure how to solve for E(r) for R1<r<R2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using Gauss's Law.

You should start by showing us your previous attempt. What have you found so far?

Can you find the total enclosed charge for spherical surface of radius ##r## where ##R_1 \lt r \lt R_2##.

Hint pretend there is no cavity (i.e. the cavity is the same density ##\rho = 715 \frac{\mu C}{m^3}## as the rest of the sphere and then subtract the charge of the filled in cavity).

Or if you know integration just spherically integrate from ##R_1## to ##r##

Gordianus said:
You should start by showing us your previous attempt. What have you found so far?
I tried integrating for 4/3 pi r^3 with r= 0.04 to r=0.12, and I found that the charge decayed exponentially from r=0.04 (1/r^2), but I know that is incorrect, because for volume charge densities, it should increase from r=0.04...

IMG_20211212_112231_2.jpg

ThrawnGaming said:
I tried integrating for 4/3 pi r^3 with r= 0.04 to r=0.12, and I found that the charge decayed exponentially from r=0.04 (1/r^2), but I know that is incorrect, because for volume charge densities, it should increase from r=0.04...

Is this AP physics B or C? Have you taken multi variable calculus? If not don’t worry about computing the integral explicitly, just use the idea of subtracting a sphere from a bigger sphere to find the volume (and therefore total charge) of a thick spherical shell.

PhDeezNutz said:
Is this AP physics B or C? Have you taken multi variable calculus? If not don’t worry about computing the integral explicitly, just use the idea of subtracting a sphere from a bigger sphere to find the volume (and therefore total charge) of a thick spherical shell.
This is AP Physics C, and I am currently taking AP Calculus AB

ThrawnGaming said:
This is AP Physics C, and I am currently taking AP Calculus AB
I want to find E as a function of r, and I think I have to integrate to do that.

ThrawnGaming said:

You’re integrating the expression for volume of a sphere you’re not integrating the expression that leads to the expression for volume of a sphere.

##dV## is actually ##r^2 \sin \theta dr d\theta d\phi## in spherical coordinates. If you integrate that over ##0 \lt r \lt R##, ##0 \lt \theta \lt \pi##, and ##0 \lt \phi \lt 2 \pi## you will get ##\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3##.

But you only want to integrate from ##R_1## to ##r## right?

Again if you haven’t taken Multivariable Calculus subtract the small sphere from the bigger sphere to “cut out a cavity”.

ThrawnGaming said:
I want to find E as a function of r, and I think I have to integrate to do that.

Well integration and my suggestion will have the same effect.

I’m trying to help you without breaking the forum rules and giving you a solution.

Say you wanted to find the total charge out to ## 8 cm##? You’d find the enclosed charge of a solid sphere that has a radius of ##8 cm## and subtract the enclosed charge of a sphere with a radius of ##4 cm##.

Now replace ##8 cm## with “r” and isn’t the problem exactly the same?

Just qualify if r is less than 4 the field is zero.

PhDeezNutz said:
Well integration and my suggestion will have the same effect.

I’m trying to help you without breaking the forum rules and giving you a solution.

Say you wanted to find the total charge out to ## 8 cm##? You’d find the enclosed charge of a solid sphere that has a radius of ##8 cm## and subtract the enclosed charge of a sphere with a radius of ##4 cm##.

Now replace ##8 cm## with “r” and isn’t the problem exactly the same?

Just qualify if r is less than 4 the field is zero.
IMG_20211212_133853.jpg

Is this correct?

I can’t make everything out but from the last line it doesn’t look to be.

We have constant density ##\rho## correct? Charge is volume times density…correct?

Now to find total charge we have to find the volume. If you’re dead set on integrating on the right hand side you would integrate the surface area (times ##dr##) to find volume. You don’t integrate volume to find volume. Volume is the integral of surface area.

Compute ##\rho \int_{R_1}^{r} 4 \pi r^2 \, dr##.

Set that equal to ##E (4 \pi r^2 )## and solve for ##E##

PhDeezNutz said:
I can’t make everything out but from the last line it doesn’t look to be.

We have constant density ##\rho## correct? Charge is volume times density…correct?

Now to find total charge we have to find the volume. If you’re dead set on integrating on the right hand side you would integrate the surface area (times ##dr##) to find volume. You don’t integrate volume to find volume. Volume is the integral of surface area.

Compute ##\rho \int_{R_1}^{r} 4 \pi r^2 \, dr##.

Set that equal to ##E (4 \pi r^2 )## and solve for ##E##
Thank you soooo much! I think I understand now. I have ##\rho(4/3 \pi r^3 - 4/3 \pi R_1^3)##

Likes PhDeezNutz
ThrawnGaming said:
Thank you soooo much! I think I understand now. I have ##\rho(4/3 \pi r^3 - 4/3 \pi R_1^3)##
You’re halfway there. Now finish the problem.

Find the field in all 3 regions.

In the cavity.

In the shell.

Outside the entire sphere.

Likes berkeman

1. What is Gauss's Law for a sphere with a cavity?

Gauss's Law for a sphere with a cavity is a mathematical equation that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. How do you solve for E(r) in Gauss's Law for a sphere with a cavity?

To solve for E(r) in Gauss's Law for a sphere with a cavity, you need to first determine the charge enclosed by the surface. Then, you can use the equation E(r) = Qenc / (4πεr^2) to calculate the electric field at a distance r from the center of the cavity.

3. What is the significance of the cavity in Gauss's Law for a sphere with a cavity?

The cavity in Gauss's Law for a sphere with a cavity represents a region within the sphere that is free of charge. This allows for a simpler calculation of the electric field outside the sphere, as the electric field inside the cavity is zero.

4. Can Gauss's Law for a sphere with a cavity be applied to other shapes?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be applied to any closed surface, regardless of its shape. However, the calculation of the electric field may be more complex for non-spherical shapes.

5. What are some real-world applications of Gauss's Law for a sphere with a cavity?

Gauss's Law for a sphere with a cavity has many practical applications, such as in the design of capacitors, electric motors, and other electronic devices. It is also used in the study of electrostatics and can help in understanding the behavior of electric fields in different situations.