Gauss's Law: When to Use r & R in Charged Spheres

In summary, when using Gauss's Law to find the electric field within given objects, such as a charged sphere, it is important to pay attention to the notation used for radial distances. In problem 1, both little "r" and big "R" are used to denote different radial distances, while in problem 2 only little "r" is used. This is because the Gaussian spherical surface is contained within the charged sphere in both scenarios, but the specific meaning of "r" changes depending on the problem. It is crucial to carefully read and understand the problem statement and sketch to determine which variables to use in each situation.
vladittude0583
This question is regarding the application of Gauss's Law to find the electric field within given objects, etc. For example, the question asks you to find the electric field inside a charged sphere, but how do you know when to use little "r" and big "R" when it comes to the radius?

Here are two problems that I just did and got the wrong answer because I had used the incorrect "r."

Problem 1:
Use Gauss's Law to find the electric field inside a uniformly charged sphere (charge density rho)

Problem 2:
Find the electric field inside a sphere which carries a charge density proportional to the distance from the origin, rho = kr, for some constant k. (Hint: This charge is not uniform, and you must integrate to get the enclosed charge).

My question is on problem 1, they used little "r" to denote the radial distance to the Gaussian spherical surface within the sphere and used big "R" to denote the radial distance from the origin (center of sphere) to the outer surface of the sphere. However, on problem 2, they only used little "r" to denote the radial distance to from the origin to the surface of the Gaussian surface. In both scenarios, the Gaussian sphere is contained within the charged sphere. Thus, how do you determine when one "r" value is relevant or if you need both big and little r?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how to put this delicately, so I'll just be blunt. You need to read the problem statement carefully. There are only so many letters in the alphabet. The variable x might well have different meanings in problems (just picking a couple of numbers at random) 5 and 8.

In this case, do the first problem first. Don't worry about the second problem until you have the first one answered. The answer to that problem will tell you why the second problem doesn't have a big R in it.

Show how you attempted to solve the problems so the errors can be addressed.

I'll add a little bit to D H's response. The letters "r" and "R" have meaning only in the context of the problem posed and the sketch you make to go with it. Understanding the "bits and pieces" of the problem is how you know which letter to use in a given situation. After you read a problem through, go back and pick it apart phrase by phrase to understand what you're given and what you have to work with.

Related to Gauss's Law: When to Use r & R in Charged Spheres

What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between electric charge and electric fields. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space.

When should I use "r" and "R" in charged spheres?

"r" and "R" refer to the radius of the charged sphere and the distance from the center of the sphere, respectively. "r" is used when calculating the electric field inside the sphere, while "R" is used when calculating the electric field outside the sphere.

How do I calculate the electric field inside a charged sphere?

To calculate the electric field inside a charged sphere, you can use the formula E = q/(4πε0r2), where q is the charge of the sphere and r is the radius of the sphere.

Can Gauss's Law be used for any shape of charged object?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be applied to any shape of charged object as long as it is a closed surface. However, it is most commonly used for spherical or cylindrical shapes due to their symmetry.

How is Gauss's Law useful in real-world applications?

Gauss's Law is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing electric fields for particle accelerators, calculating the strength of electric fields in capacitors, and analyzing the electric fields in biological systems. It is also used in engineering and technology for designing electrical systems and devices.