General Car Discussion: MotoH's Thread

In summary, MotoH started this thread and others were merged into it. MotoH's post was at the top of the thread, and it was merged into other posts. He talks about how he likes modern classics because of the driving experience and how front-wheel drive ruined much of it for him. He also talks about his experiences with driving a Celica and how AWD, traction control, and anti-lock brakes make it great in the snow and ice. He talks about his experiences with a Subaru Forester and how it is a great vehicle for the winter.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It should be noted MotoH started this thread. Posts were merged from other threads which inadvertantly put one of mine on top.
xxChrisxx said:
It's the way it's going, give it a few years and everything will be fly by wire. It's another reason why I love modern/future classics, lots of electronics ruins the driving experience for me.

Heck, front-wheel drive ruined much of it for me. What fun is driving without the occasional power slide? I was as comfortable driving a car sideways as forward, under power.

Back when I was driving our '82 Celica, I would enter our gravel road on a 60 mph power slide almost every day. I was my secret little cheap thrill that made the day fun. I hope [my wife] Tsu doesn't see this. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Ivan Seeking said:
Heck, front-wheel drive ruined much of for me. What fun is driving without the occasional power slide? I was as comfortable driving a car sideways as forward, under power.

Back when I was driving our '82 Celica, I would enter our gravel road on a 60 mph power slide almost every day. I was my secret little cheap thrill that made the day fun. I hope [my wife] Tsu doesn't see this. :biggrin:
When I was just out of college, a friend of mine had an MGA, and I loved to help him tweak it performance-wise. We'd head across the river to a town on the back side of the lake and run the gravel roads with a vengeance. He'd let me drive much of the time, probably to experience the white-knuckle rush as a passenger when a really "loose" car is being put through its paces.

Years later, after I got married, and my wife wanted to learn how to drive, we bought her a Civic, and I learned how hairy under-steer can be on gravel roads. That was one tough little car! It was used when we bought it, we loaned it to a friend for a year so she could finish college (80 miles per day, at least), and eventually sold it to another friend, who used it to get into his father's fishing camp on pretty crappy roads. He put over-sized tires on it, with snow-treads and would run through mud and muck. It probably shouldn't have been road-legal that way, but it worked.

Borg said:
Even with the problems, I wouldn't get rid of my Prius for anything. They are far roomier inside than you would think and I love getting 50 MPG.
I love my 2009 Subaru Forester. It doesn't get 50 mpg, but it's wonderful in ice and snow with AWD, traction control, and anti-lock brakes. It can hold a lot of people and a lot of cargo, too. It sure doesn't hurt to get ~27 mpg in an SUV when the other features (traction, road-worthiness in bad weather) are factored in. If my wife and I lived in Florida or Arizona, we'd probably be running Hondas or Toyotas, but in Maine, Subarus rule.

turbo-1 said:
Years later, after I got married, and my wife wanted to learn how to drive, we bought her a Civic, and I learned how hairy under-steer can be on gravel roads. That was one tough little car! It was used when we bought it, we loaned it to a friend for a year so she could finish college (80 miles per day, at least), and eventually sold it to another friend, who used it to get into his father's fishing camp on pretty crappy roads. He put over-sized tires on it, with snow-treads and would run through mud and muck. It probably shouldn't have been road-legal that way, but it worked.

When I was a kid I had a Datsun pu that took a lot of punishment, including jumps. It was a tough little truck and performed well for a small truck, but it didn't take long to notice that the Toyota trucks were much nicer, which is when I first took note of Toyota. Hondas have always been tough as well.

Funny and true: I left a buddy in a Z-28 in the dust, on a curvy road, in my Datsun pu. I could dig my wheels into the rut of the shoulder on curves, which allowed me to take curves much faster than one would expect. He just had too much weight to throw around. That one scored me some real brownie points with the car freaks. :biggrin:

Within the context of this thread, I once survived a loss of breaks coming down a mountain road that way. I had bounced the battery right out of its bracket, which then shorted out on the brake line. I discovered this as I started to brake for a 25 mph curve. Had I not been able to catch the rut, we would have gone over a cliff.

Last edited:

I've got to give props to Datsun/Nissan. I bought Datsun's 4x4 PU in the first production year, bought a Nissan Pathfinder in the first year of production, and bought a 240SX in its first model year. I would never have tried that with any US brands. I have too many friends and relatives who are mechanics, and know too many horror stories.

Well it seems that at least a couple people enjoy talking about cars, so I figured why not start a thread about it.
Post whatever is car related and is awesome. Day to day experiences, stories, photos, videos, whatever!

I'll start it off with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AclNaYw-gkw

Last edited by a moderator:

turbo-1 said:
I've got to give props to Datsun/Nissan. I bought Datsun's 4x4 PU in the first production year, bought a Nissan Pathfinder in the first year of production, and bought a 240SX in its first model year. I would never have tried that with any US brands. I have too many friends and relatives who are mechanics, and know too many horror stories.

I loooooooved my 240Z - many stories to tell; all bad.

Ivan Seeking said:
I loooooooved my 240Z.
My cousin (lead engineer for Lockheed Martin during the last Hubble servicing mission) still has a love affair going with the Z-cars. 240Z was the first car that he bought after college, and he's still got a Jones for them. Later Z-cars got too computerized for their own good. My brother-in-law was lead mechanic for the local Nissan dealership, and he told me about one time when a 300Z got whacked on the passenger-side rear quarter-panel, and they were fighting with the owner's insurance company about whether or not to total the vehicle. Ack! Apparently, there were computers/controllers in that quadrant that would all have to be replaced, and though the damage all seemed repairable in the normal scheme of things, the insurance company wanted to bail out when faced with the cost of replacing those modules on top of structural/body repairs.

Driving Experiences - the good, the bad, and the ugly

The Toyota thread got me reminiscing about driving; in my case, driving like a maniac. I have made no secret of the fact that I was a somewhat logical, but incredibly irresponsible speed demon [hmmm., maybe I should say responsible but stupid?]. What I mean by that is that I did stupid things but usually under relatively controlled circumstances. I always tried to be sure that if things didn't go well, the only people to die would be me and whoever was stupid enough to trust me and ride along while doing this stuff.

But the one that comes to mind at the moment was not intentional. I had been working ~36 hours straight while trying to finish one job, so that I could catch a plane to Peru for another. I was driving home, late at night, and was exhausted beyond belief. I had exited the freeway and had to drive though an area called Troutdale, on 35-40 mph Blvds. The roads were empty and the drive uneventful as far as I knew. As I left the Troutdale area, I saw red lights come on behind me. At that point the speed limit was 55 mph. I looked at my speedometer and saw that I was doing about 80 mph. Uh oh!

Fully expecting a ticket, I apologized and explained that I was dead tired and simply didn't realize how fast I was going. I told him how many hours I had been working, what I was doing, and explained that I had to get up in about 5 hours to catch a plane. He told me that he had been behind me ever since I had gotten off the freeway; that I was doing 80 mph all the way through Troutdale; to go home and get some sleep. He followed me home.

Honestly, I had no clue that I had done that.

Last edited:

I recently heard about a person who lost his son because of similar incident. His son pulled an all nighter for the last exam and was driving home without taking any rest.

what General Car Discussion isn't good enough? :frown:

I used to own a 77 Firebird. It had 60 series tires in the front and 50 series in the back which allowed me to have awesome traction around turns. I once drove 70 MPH on a 25 MPH entrance ramp. I could feel the back end trying to slide out from under me when I did that.

One day a friend of mine let me try out his 79 Trans Am which had stock tires. As I was putting it through its paces, I didn't take into account the difference in tires and spun it 180 degrees when I turned on to a sidestreet. No damage but, I gave us both a pretty good scare. And no, I don't drive like that anymore. My maniac days are (thankfully) over.

I was given a ride home by a Trooper one night. I think he had been tipped by the owner of the bar. The trooper came into the bar and started quizzing me, and we went outside together. I got into the back sear of the cruiser and he took me home (over 50 miles away). He didn't embarrass me too badly at home, but I had some "splainin" to do about why I had to leave and hitch-hike to get my parents' car back. BTW, the trooper was a good friend of my grandfather, who ran a wrecker service, so that was a plus

Personally, jeep like cars are my favorite.

Here're some pics:

http://z.about.com/d/trucks/1/0/U/V/66_jeep_cj5

http://p.webwombat.com.au/motoring/images/jeep-renegade-concept-3-big.jpg

jeep_wrangler_all_access.jpg

jeep1.jpg

I'll recite a good story to go with my bad one above. I once came across a stranded traveler and his family on a lonely road in the middle of the woods. I stopped to help and figured out pretty quickly that his fuel filter was clogged. I had some difficultly getting the filter out because I didn't have the correct wrench with me but, I eventually got it. I advised him to get a new filter and followed him to the main road.

I guess that I had made a comment about having lost the wrench that I needed because he mailed me a new one several weeks later. I didn't exchange contact info with him so he must have written down my plate number and gotten my address from the DMV. I guess he either worked there or was a cop.

Ivan Seeking said:
I loooooooved my 240Z - many stories to tell; all bad.

I'm quite fond of the 240Z it's a good looking car. I'm seriously considering buying a Mk2 Golf GTI, or a Lancia Delta (I can dream) now I'm working again. The missus is trying to veto it, "because old cars are cold and crap".

MotoH said:
what General Car Discussion isn't good enough? :frown:

It looks like you both had an idea to start a car thread within a few minutes of each other. Nothing sinister I think.

Heh, no, I didn't see it. Threads merged.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/12/2010/02/cincinatti_camaro_ss_crash.jpg
New Camaro almost split in half after hitting telephone pole. Driver walked away.
http://www.wcpo.com/mostpopular/story/Car-Splits-After-Hitting-Pole-Driver-Walks-Away/ml2JtGU1RUK-Mje-uOC63Q.cspx"

xxChrisxx said:
I'm quite fond of the 240Z it's a good looking car. I'm seriously considering buying a Mk2 Golf GTI, or a Lancia Delta (I can dream) now I'm working again. The missus is trying to veto it, "because old cars are cold and crap".

Do you live in the US? The GTI's have a gnarly high insurance rate because they are considered "sports cars"

MotoH said:
Do you live in the US? The GTI's have a gnarly high insurance rate because they are considered "sports cars"

I'm from the UK, they are high insurance here too but its worth it because they are both rapid and cool as anything. The Delta especially.

I used to drive a Subaru WRX...fun, fun, fun car.

When I was young I drove like a maniac, too, but I'm getting better. I still drive way too fast :redface:.

Some posts from the Toyota Recall thread were also merged into this thread. MotoH, I just noticed that this put one of my posts on the top and shows me as the thread starter. Sorry about that. I made a point to give you credit for the thread in the first post.

Last edited:
drizzle said:
Personally, jeep like cars are my favorite.

I like Jeep pictures, too.

My Jeep:
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/9314/img1135a.jpg

Other Jeeps:

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1496/slaughterhouse031.jpg

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1416/chinamangulch028.jpg

I just opened up a box of photos my mother had put away years ago. It included this shot of a car we owned back in '58.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jsnyder527/Edsel#5434930674866032130"

In '56, our neighbors bought this. I think it's a Chevy. There was a tiny triangular window at the back, but in this photo it is hidden by a post. At 6 years old, I was quite jealous and wanted my parents to buy a car with a triangle window. I believe that we owned a black '49 Pontiac at that time. I thought it was old fashioned.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jsnyder527/Edsel#5434935660943780274"

I'm not old enough for rwd, and I like technology, but it annoyed me that I couldn't get a V6 or automatic climate control with a standard transmission on my Mazda 6...so I drive the 4banger (gets good gas mileage, though).

rootX said:
I recently heard about a person who lost his son because of similar incident. His son pulled an all nighter for the last exam and was driving home without taking any rest.
Tired driving may well be the #1 killer for sailors: they get home from a deployment and drive whatever is required to get home as soon as possible, even if it means they are already sleep-dep'd when they start a 15 hour drive. I lost a shipmate that way.

jimmysnyder said:
I just opened up a box of photos my mother had put away years ago. It included this shot of a car we owned back in '58.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jsnyder527/Edsel#5434930674866032130"

In '56, our neighbors bought this. I think it's a Chevy. There was a tiny triangular window at the back, but in this photo it is hidden by a post. At 6 years old, I was quite jealous and wanted my parents to buy a car with a triangle window. I believe that we owned a black '49 Pontiac at that time. I thought it was old fashioned.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jsnyder527/Edsel#5434935660943780274"

The older cars had some unusual features. This reminded me of the http://www.mercuryarchive.com/1965to1968/1965Montereys.jpg" (middle image) that my father had in the 70's. It had a reverse slant power rear window. A couple of times he took my sister and I for drives through the woods while we hung on to the window while lying on the trunk. He finally stopped letting us do that when we both flew off while going around a corner. We weren't hurt but we barely missed hitting a tree.

I also remember seeing a 50's or 60's era car that had a button under the brake that allowed the driver to change the radio station. Nothing dangerous about that, right?

MotoH said:
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/12/2010/02/cincinatti_camaro_ss_crash.jpg
New Camaro almost split in half after hitting telephone pole. Driver walked away.
http://www.wcpo.com/mostpopular/story/Car-Splits-After-Hitting-Pole-Driver-Walks-Away/ml2JtGU1RUK-Mje-uOC63Q.cspx"

Whoa. [/neo]

...looks like it's good he didn't have a passenger and went for the big end of a 1/3, 2/3 split, though.

Borg said:
I also remember seeing a 50's or 60's era car that had a button under the brake that allowed the driver to change the radio station. Nothing dangerous about that, right?

I had a button like that in my 70's Chrysler Newport. Actually, the button was right next to the floor button for the brights (remember when the brights switch was always on the floor?) - which is how I first noticed it. I'm wondering why my brights won't turn off and the girl in the car with me is wondering why the radio's gone crazy!

I had my drivers license when I turned 14 years old and this is what I drove:
52chevy2.jpg

At 14 you know I put it to the test. Speaking of going sideways down a gravel road.

BobG said:
I had a button like that in my 70's Chrysler Newport. Actually, the button was right next to the floor button for the brights (remember when the brights switch was always on the floor?) - which is how I first noticed it. I'm wondering why my brights won't turn off and the girl in the car with me is wondering why the radio's gone crazy!

I remember bright switches on the floor, but I've never heard of radio buttons on the floor!

I wasn't alive during the time of this, but how about the primer pedal on the floor!

MotoH said:
I wasn't alive during the time of this, but how about the primer pedal on the floor!

That would be old.

I do remember a few cars that had manual chokes on the dashboard. I actually liked those.

The strangest design feature was the windshield washer for the Super Beetles in the 70's. Instead of using an electric pump, they used air from the spare tire to pump the washer fluid. If you had a flat tire and had to use your spare, you no longer had a windshield washer.

BobG said:
I do remember a few cars that had manual chokes on the dashboard.
Boy that brings me back. My grandfather's car had one. I hadn't remembered it from 50 years ago until today, but I can see him pulling it out now just like I was sitting there next to him.