General Comments on (Dis)Advantages of changing from Win 10 to Win 11?

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Clearly there aren't clearcut answers. Still, any comments or arguments for/against? Security improvements would be a plus. I don't have any overly-specific use in mind, though I intend to do somewhat heavy machine learning with it.

Likes FactChecker
Computer science news on Phys.org
Thanks for starting this thread, @WWGD -- I have a Win10 laptop that I'm considering updating to 11, but would like to hear about the tradeoffs. I generally resist updating to newer Windows versions because of the idiot Focus Group motivated changes (where do they find these people?), but that particular installation of Win10 on that laptop is getting a bit unstable, so I'm hoping that updating to Win11 will clear up the issues.

Likes FactChecker and WWGD
berkeman said:
where do they find these people?
My understanding (and this IS second hand info) is that the updates are mostly made with people in mind who do not understand computers. If you like Apple products, you're more likely to like Win 11 than Win 10. If you are computer savy, and particularly if you are a power user, you are more likely to dislike Win 11.

From everything I've read, I'm going to hate it and I won't upgrade until I absolutely have to.

Oh, also, it requires newer hardware. My very professional and powerful 6 year old workstation does not meet the grade.

There are a TON of threads out there on the Internet addressing exactly the subject of pro/con Win10/Win11.

Likes WWGD, russ_watters and berkeman
My Win 10 laptop overheated and was injured so I bought a new one which necessarily has Win 11. I notice only superficial differences. I'm not an Apple fan and am not a power user so I guess it doesn't much matter.

Likes WWGD
Good question. I am particularly worried about how difficult it would be to reinstall a couple of dozen downloaded utilities.

Likes berkeman
I am running both, admittedly as VMs on Parallels, under the same host specs. The two Windows' behavior is roughly the same regarding apps like Matlab or Photoshop. What I do dislike about 10, though, is the childish desktop popups of "info" squares I have never asked for. Windows 11 is more sober-looking.

Likes FactChecker and WWGD
apostolosdt said:
I am running both, admittedly as VMs on Parallels, under the same host specs. The two Windows' behavior is roughly the same regarding apps like Matlab or Photoshop. What I do dislike about 10, though, is the childish desktop popups of "info" squares I have never asked for. Windows 11 is more sober-looking.
Interesting. Do you need to install the apps twice -- once in each OS?

If you like your taskbar on the side of the screen then that is not available in Win 11, apart from that I can't think of anything you'd miss.

Handling of multiple/big/fast monitors in different configurations is better in Win 11.

• Informative
Likes WWGD and berkeman
This is typical of the comments I've found regarding the file system in 11. I know I'm going to hate it.
The file system in Win 10 was very easy to deal files not so with win 11, they had a good system in 10 so i don't understand why they changed it.
And look at how you have to hunt for the correct drive you want, not the old simple tree as in Win 10.
Also Just count the extra steps it takes to move the files, and i also don't understand the way some file names get placed out of order.

Likes WWGD
phinds said:
The file system in Win 10 was very easy to deal files not so with win 11, they had a good system in 10 so i don't understand why they changed it.
The file system is identical, perhaps this author is referring to the File Manager program?

phinds said:
And look at how you have to hunt for the correct drive you want, not the old simple tree as in Win 10.
The drives are listed in a tree under This PC.

phinds said:
Also Just count the extra steps it takes to move the files,
Select, drag, drop - no extra steps. Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V - no extra steps.

phinds said:
and i also don't understand the way some file names get placed out of order.
Probably need to choose Sort->Group by->None.

My advice to you is to stop listening to any old idiot on the internet and find out for yourself. Or go back to CP/M.

• Informative
Likes Hornbein, Vanadium 50 and phinds
phinds said:
This is typical of the comments I've found regarding the file system in 11. I know I'm going to hate it.
Where is that quote from?

berkeman said:
Where is that quote from?
MIke, it's just a random Internet quote so take it for what it was worth but I read a ton of them a year or so ago and there was a lot of stuff along the same lines. According to @pbuk (post #10) it isn't that bad, but I just don't know. There were an awful lot of people who were unhappy with it. Maybe it's just configuration stuff that a lot of people hadn't figured out yet.

FactChecker said:
Interesting. Do you need to install the apps twice -- once in each OS?
Yes, I find this procedure straightforward, although more knowledgeable members might offer better solutions.

Likes FactChecker