General electronic configuration of the d and f block elements

In summary, there is a discussion about the correct electron configuration for elements with (n-1)d and (n-2)f orbitals. The textbook suggests (n-1)d^{1->10}ns^{0->2} as the correct configuration, but some argue that it should be (n-1)d^{1->10}ns^2. The presence of f-orbitals in period 6 and 7 also raises the question of whether (n-2)f^{0->14} should be added to the configuration. For f-block elements, some believe the correct configuration is (n-2)f^{1->14}ns^2, while others argue for (n-2)f^{1->14
Kaushik
Is it ##(n-1)d^{1->10}ns^2 \ or \ (n-1)d^{1->10}ns^{0->2}## ? My textbook says it is the latter. But I feel like it should be the former. Moreover, period 6 and 7 has the presence of f-orbitals. So adding## (n-2)f^{0->14}## would make it more general. Isn't it?

And also what about the f-block elements? Is it ##(n-2)f^{1->14}ns^2 \ or \ (n-2)f^{1->14}(n-1)d^{0->1}ns^2## ? I feel like it should be the former as the electrons are being added to (n-2) f before (n-1) d. I doubt the second one is correct unless there are any exceptions. But it is just my perception.
Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org

1. What is the general electronic configuration of d-block elements?

The general electronic configuration of d-block elements is (n-1)d1-10 ns1-2, where n is the principal quantum number.

2. How do the d-block elements differ from other elements?

The d-block elements have partially filled d-orbitals in their outermost energy level, giving them unique chemical and physical properties compared to other elements.

3. How many d-block elements are there in the periodic table?

There are 40 d-block elements in the periodic table, spanning from group 3 to group 12.

4. What is the significance of the f-block elements?

The f-block elements, also known as the inner transition metals, have electrons filling the f-orbitals in addition to the d-orbitals. They have unique properties and are often used in nuclear applications.

5. How does the electronic configuration of d-block elements affect their reactivity?

The partially filled d-orbitals in d-block elements make them more reactive than other elements, as they can easily gain or lose electrons to achieve a full d-orbital and become stable.