General Ellipsoid Area Formula: Detailed Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a source that fully derives the surface area formula for a general (triaxial) ellipsoid. The desired source should also include prose discussion and historical context. The speaker is not interested in approximate formulas, but they are open to them as a secondary interest. The suggested references are the Encyclopedia of Mathematics and Its Applications 146, Ellipsoidal Harmonics; Theory and Applications by George Dassios, and a paper by I. Rivin. A final paper titled "On the Surface Area of the Ellipsoid" by Stuart R. Keller is also mentioned.
The Bill
I'm looking for a source that fully derives the complete formula for the surface area of a general (triaxial) ellipsoid. I'd prefer a source that has more than just a full derivation, but also has a fair amount of prose discussion on this topic. Some historical context would be nice, as well. The sources I've seen so far just present the entire formula as a fait accompli. Which is fine for their intended audience of people who just need the answer for their engineering project or other work. But that's not me right now.

I wouldn't mind if the sources you can provide also discuss any of the various approximate formulas, but that's only of secondary interest to me right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you will need several references, that between them may just satisfy your want.

Encyclopedia of Mathematics and Its Applications 146.
George Dassios. 2012. Ellipsoidal Harmonics; Theory and Applications
Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-11309-0

Start at page 265, and follow the references.

P.S. The last ref is;
I. Rivin. Surface area and other measures of ellipsoids. Advances in Applied Mathematics, 39:409–427, 2007. https://arxiv.org/pdf/math/0403375.pdf

Last edited:
Likes The Bill

1. What is the general ellipsoid area formula?

The general ellipsoid area formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the surface area of an ellipsoid, which is a three-dimensional shape resembling a stretched sphere. It takes into account the three axes of the ellipsoid and its eccentricity, or how much it deviates from a perfect sphere.

2. How is the general ellipsoid area formula derived?

The general ellipsoid area formula is derived using integral calculus and involves finding the surface area of infinitesimally small sections of the ellipsoid and then adding them together. This results in a complex equation involving trigonometric functions and the eccentricity of the ellipsoid.

3. What are the applications of the general ellipsoid area formula?

The general ellipsoid area formula has various applications in fields such as geodesy, geophysics, and astronomy. It is used to calculate the surface area of planets and other celestial bodies, as well as to determine the shape and size of the Earth. It is also used in engineering and architecture for designing structures with ellipsoidal shapes.

4. Can the general ellipsoid area formula be simplified for specific ellipsoid shapes?

Yes, the general ellipsoid area formula can be simplified for specific ellipsoid shapes, such as oblate and prolate spheroids. These shapes have a known eccentricity, making it possible to simplify the formula and make it easier to calculate the surface area.

5. Are there any limitations to using the general ellipsoid area formula?

While the general ellipsoid area formula is a useful tool for calculating the surface area of ellipsoids, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the ellipsoid is a perfect mathematical shape, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the formula does not take into account any irregularities or deformations in the surface of the ellipsoid, which may affect the accuracy of the calculation.