General form vs Standard form of a line

In summary, the conversation discusses the two forms of the equation of a line, standard form (Ax + By = C) and general form (Ax + By + C = 0). The advantages of one form over the other are minimal and depend on the purpose of the equation. The slope-intercept form (y = mx + b) is considered the most useful for graphing and calculus. The second form is typically used for n-dimensional linear objects. The motivation for using the general form may be related to its counterpart in conic sections. Overall, the distinctions between the two forms are not very important.
lordofpi
I'm in the middle of a calculus course (this is not a calculus question per se), studying from the Larson text, and when an answer to a problem is the equation of a line, I solve for Standard form of a line [itex]Ax + By = C[/itex].

I noticed, however, that the Larson textbook frequently terms answers of the equation of a line in the form [itex]Ax + By + C = 0[/itex], which apparently is the General form (based on my searching around on line. This answer is frequently the equation of a line tangent to a given point on a curve, if that is of any interest.

What are the advantages of one form over another? Should I be using General when doing calculus for some reason? Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't see much of an advantage for either form over the other. The first form is slightly more useful for graphing, although the slope-intercept form is probably better yet for nonvertical lines.

The second (general) form has a counterpart with terms up through the second degree, for the conic sections, so maybe that's a motivation for this form.

Overall, the distinctions between standard form and general form here aren't very important, IMO.

What form is the most appropriate to use depends upon what you want to do with this equation.

if you have two expressions of the type f(x,y) = 0 and g(x,y) = 0 you can equate them directly.

If f(x,y) = a and g(x,y) = b then you cannot do this so easily.

For calculus (and many other purposes) I would think that the intercept form of the line is more useful viz

y = mx + b

Since calculus is about slopes and m is the slope.

go well

Thank you both; that sort of makes sense. I always made use of the slope-intercept form ([itex]y=mx+b[/itex] fairly consistently as well. It just seems to be the most useful of all of the forms. Also, I was very lazy in grade school (decades ago), so -- while I have always had a strong aptitude and love of math -- there are some very interesting gaps in the some of the finer details of things I technically should know lol (like I am actually even relearning how to work with Standard form).

I know Larson is far from the consummate text on calculus, but I figured the authors must have had some motivation for drafting answers in the way that they did. Thanks.

Hey lordofpi and welcome to the forums.

The second form is typically the form of the equation of an n-dimensional linear object (also an n-dimensional plane) and it has the same form of n . (r - r0) = 0 for an n-dimensional vectors n, r, and r0 (all have to be the same size, but that size is variable).

In a linear context, this can be useful depending on what you are trying to do.

Thanks chiro for the additional info. And thank you: this place seems to pickup where Usenet left off all those years ago (plus Usenet never had [itex]\LaTeX[/itex]!). I am very excited to be able to participate in the ongoing conversations of so many sharp minds.

Related to General form vs Standard form of a line

What is the difference between general form and standard form of a line?

The general form of a line is represented as Ax + By = C, where A and B are constants and x and y are variables. The standard form of a line is represented as Ax + By + C = 0, where A, B, and C are constants. The main difference between the two forms is that the standard form has a constant term on the right side, while the general form does not.

How do you convert a line from general form to standard form?

To convert a line from general form to standard form, you can perform the following steps:

1. Move the constant term to the right side of the equation (subtract C from both sides).
  2. Divide both sides by the coefficient of the x variable (A).
  3. Divide both sides by the coefficient of the y variable (B).
  4. Simplify the resulting equation to get it in the form of Ax + By + C = 0.

How do you graph a line in general form?

To graph a line in general form, you can use the intercept method. First, find the x and y intercepts by setting each variable to 0 and solving for the other variable. Then, plot these points on a graph and connect them to form the line.

Can you write an equation for a line in both general form and standard form?

Yes, you can write an equation for a line in both general form and standard form. For example, the equation y = 2x + 3 can be written in general form as 2x - y = -3 and in standard form as 2x - y + 3 = 0.

What are the advantages of using standard form instead of general form for a line?

The main advantage of using standard form is that it is easier to identify the x and y intercepts, as they are explicitly written in the equation. Additionally, standard form is convenient for solving systems of equations and finding the slope of the line.