General form of an equation with undefined slope

In summary: I converted it to slope intercept form. I get 0=-4x+4. Is there a way to solve for y when I have these two points?Yes. y=-4x+4
Orson

Homework Statement

The equation of the line that goes through the points
13b789c2c63f8667cc8318bdc8e9fb1.png
and
712edb38d6ad41f4e48bc2c2f3f6661.png
can be written in general form
0e069a9bedaddf294b9e0c6ef8663e1.png
. What are the values for A, B, and C?

Homework Equations

Ax+By+C=0

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I think the answer is x=1. But how do i express that in general form?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Orson said:

Homework Statement

The equation of the line that goes through the points View attachment 210311 and View attachment 210312 can be written in general form View attachment 210313 . What are the values for A, B, and C?

Homework Equations

Ax+By+C=0

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I think the answer is x=1. But how do i express that in general form?
As x - 1 = 0.
In this form, A = 1. Can you figure out what B and C are?

The software says A=1 is wrong.

I just found out how to do it. Pretend you're trying to figure out the slope. you get 4/0 . 4 is the value for A. 0 for B. solve for c.

A= 4
B= 0
C= -4

Orson said:
Does the software mark A, B, and C individually or does it mark them together as a group of numbers ?

Last edited:
SammyS said:
Does the software mark A, B, and C individually or does it mark them together as a group of numbers ?
Individually.
A= blank. B=blank. C=blank

I recommend reviewing post #2 to get the line in the given general form...

Orson said:
I just found out how to do it. Pretend you're trying to figure out the slope. you get 4/0 . 4 is the value for A. 0 for B. solve for c.

A= 4
B= 0
C= -4
I take that the software says those answers are correct.

As it turns out there are infinitely many correct solutions. (You might say, infinitely many.)

The only one of the three which must have a particular value is B, which is zero.

The only requirements on A and C is that A = −C , so that A + C = 0 .

Likes NFuller
SammyS said:
I take that the software says those answers are correct.

As it turns out there are infinitely many correct solutions. (You might say, infinitely many.)

The only one of the three which must have a particular value is B, which is zero.

The only requirements on A and C is that A = −C , so that A + C = 0 .
I am pretty sure at one point I had 1 and -1 for a and c and software marked it wrong. Grrrrrr.

I plugged 4 in for A and 0 for B because I read somewhere you act like you're going to figure the slope out (even though you can't) in order to get A and B.

Rewrite the equation in slope and intercept form : y = mx + d

Sketch the graph of the line .

Is there something about the coordinate values given for those two points on the line that might cause you to think about this problem in a particular way ?

Last edited:
Orson said:
I plugged 4 in for A and 0 for B because I read somewhere you act like you're going to figure the slope out (even though you can't) in order to get A and B.
Using that same idea, you can just as well get A = −4, B = 0, and C = 4 , by using the coordinates in the reverse order.

SammyS said:
Using that same idea, you can just as well get A = −4, B = 0, and C = 4 , by using the coordinates in the reverse order.
Yes. I see how infinitely many solutions are possible for a and c. I put the equation in
SammyS said:
Yes. I see you can put any number and its complement to make b 0. I also solved for x and got x=1 which makes sense. How would i get the equation for a vertical line at 2?

Nidum said:

Is there something about the coordinate values given for those two points on the line that might cause you to think about this problem in a particular way ?
They form a straight vertical line?

Nidum said:

Also, I converted it to slope intercept form. I get 0=-4x+4. Is that what you're getting at?

Orson said:
Also, I converted it to slope intercept form. I get 0=-4x+4. Is that what you're getting at?
Or simply y=-4x+4?

Orson said:
Yes. I see how infinitely many solutions are possible for a and c. I put the equation in

Yes. I see you can put any number and its complement to make b 0. I also solved for x and got x=1 which makes sense. How would i get the equation for a vertical line at 2?
So you want an equation of the form ##\ Ax+By+C = 0\ ## that with suitable values for A, B, C is equivalent to the equation ##\ x=2\ .##

##\ x=2\ ##
is equivalent to
##\ x-2=0\ .##
Multiplying by A and adding ##\ 0y\ ## gives
##\ Ax+0y-2A=0\ .\ ## (Solve it for x to convince yourself.)

So B = 0, and you can choose any non-zero number for A (you need x in the equation). Then C is −2 times the value chosen for A.

Otherwise, to do it by your method:
Pick any two distinct points, both having 2 for the x coordinate and proceed.

Now you have got what Nidum #10 hinted. You could have said at the start: to one x value corresponds two y values; for a straight line that can only be a vertical line.
Sure you copied out the question right?

Last edited:
I am sure I copied the question right. Thanks.

So in conclusion what is the equation of the line in simplest form?

epenguin said:
So in conclusion what is the equation of the line in simplest form?
simplest form, I would say x=1. I am heeding what it says in your sig.

Yes I think that is correct.
You may not yet have the reflexes that would have told you to see this straightaway. But in that case the suggestion of Nidum to sketch or plot the points is one that will come in useful in future not only for this problem, a generally useful hint.
Thank you for noting my sig :oldsmile:, not everybody does. :oldfrown:

Orson said:

Orson said:
Or simply y=-4x+4?
No, the latter equation is incorrect. This would be a line with slope of -4, passing through the point (0, 4). This is not a vertical line.

Orson said:
The the software is brain-dead, at least in this case.

Likes Orson
Mark44 said:
No, the latter equation is incorrect. This would be a line with slope of -4, passing through the point (0, 4). This is not a vertical line.
I should have seen that.

Related to General form of an equation with undefined slope

What is the general form of an equation with undefined slope?

The general form of an equation with undefined slope is y = c, where c is any constant value. This form is also known as the vertical line equation, as the graph of this equation is a vertical line.

How do you identify an undefined slope in an equation?

An undefined slope is identified by the coefficient of x being 0 in the slope-intercept form of an equation, y = mx + b. This means that the line is vertical and has no defined slope.

Can an equation with undefined slope have a y-intercept?

Yes, an equation with undefined slope can have a y-intercept. This occurs when the equation is in the form y = c, where c is a non-zero constant. The y-intercept in this case is the point (0, c).

What does an undefined slope represent in a real-life scenario?

In a real-life scenario, an undefined slope represents a situation where the dependent variable (y) is not affected by changes in the independent variable (x). This is often seen in situations where one quantity is constant, such as the price of a product regardless of the quantity sold.

Can an equation with undefined slope have a solution?

Yes, an equation with undefined slope can have a solution. This occurs when the equation is in the form y = c, where c is any constant value. The solution to this equation is all points on the vertical line with an x value of 0, as the equation is satisfied for all values of y.