General problems with coriolis force

In summary: G's answer:In summary, the Coriolis force is a force that acts on objects that are in motion. It is caused by the rotation of the Earth around its own axis. The magnitude of the Coriolis force depends on the velocity of the object and the latitude of the object.
Dracovich
Ok I'm having some general problems with solving Coriolis problems.

So the general way of writing up the Coriolis force is

[tex] F_c = -2*m*(\vec{\omega} \times \vec{v})[/tex]

But most questions i get about the Coriolis force involve some information about it's latitude position on earth, but i fail to see where this comes into the equation. The chapter discussing the Coriolis force does not seem to touch on this, and the two examples in my book both use the equator, so they are no help.

Also i have some problems visualising which way the Coriolis force works, more in general i have a problem seeing which way a cross product points. Now it's perpendicular to the two vectors, but which way? (+ or - axis).

Just as an example, this is the most basic problem from my book, (which i can't solve since i can't figure out the latitude thing):

"A vehicle of mass 2000kg is traveling due north at 100km/h at latitude 60°. Determine the magnitude and direction of the Coriolis force on the vehicle."

**edit** forgot to smack a minus sign on the formula.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The right hand rule can be used to find the direction of a cross product of two vectors: I'll try to describe it as follows;

in the case of [itex] \vec{\omega} \times \vec{v}[/itex]
use your pointer finger (of your RIGHT hand) to point in the direction of [itex] \vec{\omega}[/itex]
your middle finger should then point in the direction of [itex] \vec{v}[/itex] (only the part of [itex] \vec{v}[/itex] that is perpindicular to [itex] \vec{\omega} [/itex])
stick your thumb out so that its perpendicular to both your pointer and middle fingers.
The direction of your thumb is the direction of [itex] \vec{\omega} \times \vec{v}[/itex]

Ahh thanks, that should make life easier for me :) Now just the question of latitude ...

Dracovich said:
So the general way of writing up the Coriolis force is

[tex] F_c = 2*m*(\vec{\omega} \times \vec{v})[/tex]

"A vehicle of mass 2000kg is traveling due north at 100km/h at latitude 60°. Determine the magnitude and direction of the Coriolis force on the vehicle.
The latitude is needed in order to determine the cross product:

[tex] \vec{\omega} \times \vec{v}[/tex]

The velocity vector points to the north pole along the surface and the angular velocity is parallel to the Earth's axis. To do the cross product you need to know that angle, which is just the latitude.

AM

Related to General problems with coriolis force

1. What is the Coriolis force?

The Coriolis force is an inertial force that affects objects moving in a rotating reference frame. It is caused by the rotation of the Earth and is responsible for the deflection of moving objects to the right in the Northern hemisphere and to the left in the Southern hemisphere.

2. How does the Coriolis force affect weather patterns?

The Coriolis force plays a crucial role in the formation of weather patterns, such as hurricanes and cyclones. It causes air masses to rotate, which leads to the formation of low and high-pressure systems, and ultimately determines the direction of wind and storm movement.

3. Can the Coriolis force impact the trajectory of projectiles?

Yes, the Coriolis force can have a significant impact on the trajectory of projectiles, such as missiles or artillery shells. It causes them to veer off course in a curved path due to the rotation of the Earth.

4. Are there any negative effects of the Coriolis force on man-made structures?

In some cases, the Coriolis force can have negative effects on man-made structures, particularly tall buildings and bridges. It can cause them to sway or vibrate, which can lead to structural damage if not accounted for in the design process.

5. How does the Coriolis force impact ocean currents?

The Coriolis force influences the direction and speed of ocean currents, particularly in the open ocean. Water near the equator moves in a westerly direction, while water near the poles moves in an easterly direction, creating ocean gyres and affecting global climate patterns.