General Question About 2D-Kinematic Problems

• Thread starter Lori
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the conversation discusses various aspects of solving kinematic problems in physics, particularly in regards to using vector units and equations. It is recommended to use vector units when dealing with vectors such as velocity and acceleration, but the use of Pythagorean theorem is more appropriate when finding the magnitude of a vector. The conversation also explains the concept of writing a single kinematic equation for two-dimensional motion, and how this can be applied to projectile motion. Ultimately, the decision to use vector or scalar notation should be based on the specific problem and what makes sense in terms of the desired outcome.
Lori
I've been doing many Kinematic problems for physics class on like projectiles, falling objects, cars/people/boats,etc.

The thing I'm most confused about is that there are many physics problems involving the x and y directions for velocity, acceleration, position... but like i get confused on whether i should include vector units or not. Is it just good practice to always use vector units (i,j,k)?

For example, when the problem asks for velocity or acceleration of something, how do i know if i should include the vector units?

Another confusing thing when i do these problems is wheter i should use the pythagorean formula and square the x and y components to get the velocity/acceleration vector OR if i am suppose to use the Kinematic equations and plug in numbers and solve.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what the problem is asking you to find. If it asks you to find a quantity that is a vector like velocity or acceleration, then you cannot go wrong if you write that vector using unit vector notation. So it is good practice. Furthermore, the use of vector notation helps you keep the like components separate from the unlike components and comes in handy when you add vectors. If the problem is asking you to find the magnitude of a vector like speed, that's a clear sign that you must use the Pythagorean theorem.

You can write a single kinematic equation for two dimensional motion, but you have to remember that it is "two equations in one". For example, the position of a projectile at any time t can be written as
##\vec{r}=\vec{v}_0t+\frac{1}{2}\vec{a}t^2##. This is the single equation that is "two equations in one."

Now, ##\vec{r} = x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}##, ##\vec{v}_0 = v_{0x}\hat{i}+\vec{v}_{0y}\hat{j}## and ##\vec{a}=-g\hat{j}## so that if we substitute, we get

##x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}=v_{0x}t\hat{i}+v_{0y}t\hat{j}-\frac{1}{2} gt^2 \hat{j}##

The last is a vector equation that says that the vector on the left is the same as the vector on the right. Two vectors are the same when their components are the same. This means that whatever multiplies i-hat on the left must equal whatever multiplies i-hat on the right. Likewise for j-hat. This means we have two equations, namely
##x=v_{0x}t##
##y=v_{0y}t-\frac{1}{2} gt^2 ##
which are the familiar kinematic equations for a projectile shot from the origin. I hope this helps.

Likes Lori
Thank you so much. Also, I think the last two equations you mentioned are what confused me too. The first equation you showed it worked for two dimensions. X = X0 +VoxT +1/2 ax t^2 also works to find Y components for velocity and acceleration right? So you are saying those last two equations are just simpler equations instead of this except one only works for one axis?

Or do those last 2 equations only work for projectile where x is range and y is height of projectile

Lori said:
Or do those last 2 equations only work for projectile where x is range and y is height of projectile
Yes, these are the general 2-D equations adapted to projectile motion with the particle projected from the origin. I used the simpler example of projectile motion to illustrate the method. The most general equation for 2-D motion under constant acceleration is
##\vec{r}=\vec{r}_0+\vec{v}_0t+\frac{1}{2}\vec{a}t^2##
where ##\vec{r}=x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}##, ##\vec{r}_0=x_0\hat{i}+y_0\hat{j}##, ##\vec{v}_0=v_{0x}\hat{i}+v_{0y}\hat{j}## and ##\vec{a}=a_x\hat{i}+a_y\hat{j}##
which implies the two equations
##x=x_0+v_{0x}t+\frac{1}{2} a_x~t^2##
##y=y_0+v_{0y}t+\frac{1}{2} a_y~t^2##

Likes Lori
Whether to use vector notation depends first and foremost on what is asked in the problem. If you are working independently (not a problem assigned by someone else), then use what makes sense. In this last regard, vector notation is often not the best choice, particularly if you will need to write computer code to implement your calculations. For the last case, matrix notation is often far superior as it is easily programmed in computer code.

I started college shortly after the Russians launched the first Earth satellite, Sputnik. There was a general panic in American schools, saying, "we're behind; we have to catch up with the Russians." One of the major steps in "catching up" was to go to vector notation for everything, so that is how I first learned mechanics. As I advanced and began to work more complex problems, I learned about energy methods, particular the Lagrange formulation, and these always lead to scalar equations. Since this is the approach I employ for almost everything today, I rarely use vector notation (I did so about 10 days ago, for the first time in ages, despite working in mechanics daily).

So the lesson I would suggest to you is simply, do what makes sense. If you want vector equations, use vector notation. If you want scalar equations (for computer work), use scalars. Think ahead to what you want to have in the end, and go that route.

Likes Lori

Related to General Question About 2D-Kinematic Problems

1. How do I approach solving 2D-kinematic problems?

When solving 2D-kinematic problems, it is important to break the problem down into smaller parts and use vector components to analyze the motion. This includes breaking down the initial velocity into x and y components and using equations such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement to solve for the unknown quantities.

2. What are the key equations used in solving 2D-kinematic problems?

The key equations used in solving 2D-kinematic problems include the equations for velocity, acceleration, and displacement in both the x and y directions. These equations can be found in most physics textbooks and online resources.

3. How do I handle objects with non-uniform motion in 2D-kinematic problems?

In 2D-kinematic problems, objects may have non-uniform motion, meaning their velocity or acceleration may change over time. In this case, it is important to use calculus concepts, such as derivatives and integrals, to analyze the motion and solve for the unknown quantities.

4. Can I use the same approach to solving 2D-kinematic problems for all types of motion?

Yes, the same approach can be used for all types of motion in 2D-kinematic problems. However, the equations and techniques used may vary depending on the type of motion, such as uniform or non-uniform motion. It is important to identify the type of motion in order to choose the appropriate equations and methods for solving the problem.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving 2D-kinematic problems?

One common mistake to avoid when solving 2D-kinematic problems is incorrectly using vector components. It is important to remember that velocity and acceleration are vector quantities and must be treated as such. Another mistake to avoid is not clearly labeling the x and y axes, which can lead to confusion and errors in calculations.