General relativity - covariant superconductivity, Meissner effect

In summary: The non-relativistic Schrödinger equation is found in the Feynman Lectures vol...Basically, you need to find a lagrangian with an extra term, which will allow you to derive the laws of motion for a photon in a superconductor. This is a similar process to finding the mass term, which turns the lagrangian from Maxwell's into Proca's. However, you don't seem to know how to approach this. Any help is appreciated!
Maniac_XOX
I am doing a project where the final scope is to find an extra operator to include in the proca lagrangian. When finding the new version of this lagrangian i'll be able to use the Euler-Lagrange equation to find the laws of motion for a photon accounting for that particular extra operator. I have no idea how to approach this though. I assume it is a similar process to finding the mass operator which turned the lagrangian from maxwell's to proca's, but how is this done? Any help is appreciated :)

As for now i have only derived the laws of motions starting from a) Maxwell's lagrangian and b) Proca lagrangian. Step c) would comprise finding a lagrangian with an extra operator to repeat the process.
Any links to useful external sources is appreciated as well, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, whether I understand your question right, but if it is about superconductivity, you are (nearly) on the right track, because from an effective-field theory point of view in a superconducting material the electromagnetic gauge symmetry is "Higgsed", i.e., the photon get massive via the Anderson-Higgs mechanism, which is mostly known in the context of the electroweak sector of the Standard Model, but in fact the Higgs mechanism was first discovered by Anderson in the context of superconductivity.

For a relativistic formulation of superconductivity, see

https://www.springer.com/de/book/9783319079462

Likes Maniac_XOX
vanhees71 said:
I'm not sure, whether I understand your question right, but if it is about superconductivity, you are (nearly) on the right track, because from an effective-field theory point of view in a superconducting material the electromagnetic gauge symmetry is "Higgsed", i.e., the photon get massive via the Anderson-Higgs mechanism, which is mostly known in the context of the electroweak sector of the Standard Model, but in fact the Higgs mechanism was first discovered by Anderson in the context of superconductivity.

For a relativistic formulation of superconductivity, see

https://www.springer.com/de/book/9783319079462
Basically, I've been made to practice with covariant classical field theory to derive the laws of motion from a maxwell's lagrangian using the euler-lagrange equation, and then from proca lagrangian accounting for the mass term. The scope now is to find an extra operator which modifies the lagrangian to a new form and having to find the laws of motion for that. Where do I start? I was thinking if I know how to derive the mass operator that modifed the maxwell lagrangian into the proca lagrangian then i would have the basis set. I suppose in fewer words the question is: how do i modify the proca lagrangian to account for an extra term?

What do you want to achieve? If it's superconductivity, you need to "Higgs" the em. local gauge invariance. Another very good reference is by Weinberg:

https://inspirehep.net/literature/18067

The KEK preprint is freely accessible.

Maniac_XOX said:
As for now i have only derived the laws of motions starting from a) Maxwell's lagrangian and b) Proca lagrangian. Step c) would comprise finding a lagrangian with an extra operator to repeat the process.
First, the Proca Lagrangian already contains an extra term in comparison to the Maxwell Lagrangian. It seems that you want an additional extra term, but it's not clear what is its purpose.
Second, it's not clear what superconductivity has to do with all this.

Likes vanhees71
Demystifier said:
First, the Proca Lagrangian already contains an extra term in comparison to the Maxwell Lagrangian. It seems that you want an additional extra term, but it's not clear what is its purpose.
Second, it's not clear what superconductivity has to do with all this.
Superconductivity is the subject, i am studying meissner effect at low temperatures but specifically the photons laws of motion within the superconductor and we're doing this using the em field and potentials. The additional term is to find what other characteristics apply to the photons when in a superconductor, i was not told specifically how to approach it or what characteristics i am looking for as that was the question i needed to answer myself

vanhees71 said:
What do you want to achieve? If it's superconductivity, you need to "Higgs" the em. local gauge invariance. Another very good reference is by Weinberg:

https://inspirehep.net/literature/18067

The KEK preprint is freely accessible.
That i don't even know yet lol, i was only told to use the same process to find another operator besides the mass term, the proca lagrangian has the local gauge invariance included so i suppose it would be smarter to start from that

In electrodynamics there's no mass term for the photons of course, but you get one in superconductors from the Higgs mechanism. I really recommend Weinberg's paper quoted above. There's also a section with the same content in his Quantum Theory of Fields vol. 2.

A simpler version, using the non-relativistic Schrödinger equation is found in the Feynman Lectures vol 3:

https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_21.html

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how massive objects, such as planets and stars, curve the fabric of space-time, causing other objects to move along that curvature. It is considered one of the pillars of modern physics.

2. What is covariant superconductivity?

Covariant superconductivity is a phenomenon that occurs when a material is cooled below a certain temperature, called the critical temperature. At this temperature, the material's electrical resistance drops to zero, allowing for the flow of electric current without any loss of energy. This effect is described by the theory of superconductivity, which is a key aspect of modern physics.

3. What is the Meissner effect?

The Meissner effect is a characteristic of superconductors, in which they expel magnetic fields from their interior when cooled below the critical temperature. This results in the material becoming a perfect diamagnet, meaning it has no magnetic field of its own and repels any external magnetic fields. This effect was first observed by Walther Meissner and Robert Ochsenfeld in 1933.

4. How does general relativity relate to superconductivity?

General relativity and superconductivity are both fundamental theories in physics, but they are not directly related. However, some scientists have proposed that the Meissner effect can be explained using general relativity, specifically through the concept of curvature of space-time. This is still a topic of ongoing research and debate.

5. What are some practical applications of general relativity and superconductivity?

General relativity has been used to make accurate predictions about the behavior of objects in space, such as the orbit of Mercury around the sun. It also plays a crucial role in technologies such as GPS and satellite communication. Superconductivity has practical applications in various fields, including medical imaging, transportation, and energy transmission. It also has the potential to revolutionize computing and data storage with the development of quantum computers.