General rule for finding cfm delivery in pipe

In summary, the person is requesting help in finding a general rule for determining the cfm capability of a pipe. They provide information about the pressure, pipe size, and length, and ask for a simple equation to estimate the cfm within 10-20% accuracy. They also mention that the application is for a box printing machine and the specs require 25cfm at 90psi. However, there is not enough information provided and further details are needed to accurately determine the cfm.
PmDavis300
OK, if someone could please help.

I need a GENERAL rule for finding cfm in pipe

120psi at source

1/2in copper pipe

10ft drop

100ft of pipe

can someone give me a VERY simple equation on how to figure out the cfm capability of this pipe? I don't need a complex long equation, i just need an answer that will give me a rough estimate of cfm, within 10 or 20% of the actual cfm delivery of this system. THANKS AGAIN!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

There isn't enough information provided. The critical factor is the pressure drop through the pipe and to get that, you need to know the pressure at the outlet (or the desired pressure drop). And usually, CFM is an input, not an output (what is the application?). Then you plug that into a table like this: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/compressed-air-pipe-pressure-d_36.html

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF.

There isn't enough information provided. The critical factor is the pressure drop through the pipe and to get that, you need to know the pressure at the outlet (or the desired pressure drop). And usually, CFM is an input, not an output (what is the application?). Then you plug that into a table like this: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/compressed-air-pipe-pressure-d_36.html

i have no idea, we are buying a box printing machine and it requires an air connection capable of delivering 25cfm. the connection is a half in copper pipe. its about 100ft away from the compressor... i have no more information, i can't imaging its that hard to get a rought estimate if it will be able to deliver the proper amount of air. the specs don't give me any more informations the that other then it requires 90 psi... maybe that is the drop i don't know I am not an engineer.

Related to General rule for finding cfm delivery in pipe

1. What is CFM and why is it important in pipe delivery?

CFM stands for cubic feet per minute and it is a unit of measurement for the volume of air flow. It is important in pipe delivery because it helps determine the amount of air that can be delivered through a pipe, which is crucial in many industrial and commercial applications.

2. How do you calculate CFM delivery in a pipe?

The general rule for finding CFM delivery in a pipe is to multiply the cross-sectional area of the pipe by the velocity of the air flow. The formula is CFM = (Pipe Area) x (Air Velocity).

3. What is the standard air velocity for pipe delivery?

The standard air velocity for pipe delivery varies depending on the type of pipe and its intended use. For example, for ventilation purposes, a typical air velocity range is 500-2000 feet per minute, while for pneumatic conveying, the range can be 3000-6000 feet per minute.

4. How does pipe diameter affect CFM delivery?

The diameter of a pipe plays a significant role in CFM delivery. Generally, the larger the pipe diameter, the higher the CFM delivery. This is because a larger pipe has a larger cross-sectional area, allowing for more air to flow through it at a given velocity.

5. What other factors can affect CFM delivery in a pipe?

Aside from pipe diameter, other factors that can affect CFM delivery in a pipe include the length and material of the pipe, the presence of obstacles or bends, and the pressure and temperature of the air. It is important to consider all these factors when calculating CFM delivery in a pipe.