General solution to the Time-independent Schrödinger equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a general solution to the time-independent Schrödinger equation in terms of the potential function V(r). The conversation includes considerations of different types of potential functions and the possibility of a non-closed form solution. There is also mention of the relationship between the TISE and the properties of the wavefunction. Overall, the likelihood of finding a usable general solution is seen as low, but the search continues.
greswd
Has anyone formulated a general solution to the time-independent Schrödinger equation in terms of the potential function V(r), and if so, what is it?

For any type of V(r).

So, instead of a differential equation, a direct relationship between the wavefunction and the potential.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
upload_2019-3-12_16-7-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-12_16-7-50.png
    upload_2019-3-12_16-7-50.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 755
BvU said:
@BvU
Yes, I tried that first, but I couldn't find anything for, as mentioned, a general solution in terms of V(r).

And by general solution for V(r) I mean any type of V(r).

So I'm hoping some well-read physics experts here might know of it.

From the variety of approaches for different kinds of potential functions I estimate a zero probability for a (usable) general solution.
Would be something like a free lunch :cool:

greswd said:
some well-read physics experts
The more I think about it, the less I feel qualified :H

BvU said:
From the variety of approaches for different kinds of potential functions I estimate a zero probability for a (usable) general solution.
Would be something like a free lunch :cool:The more I think about it, the less I feel qualified :H
A non-closed form solution would be really good too, hopefully there's one

From what I've seen it's the other way around: suppose we have a ##\psi## that satisfies the TISE, what are its specific properties

BvU said:
From what I've seen it's the other way around: suppose we have a ##\psi## that satisfies the TISE, what are its specific properties
I believe the TISE generally produces families of discrete solutions, so a general solution would be in terms of both V(r) and parameters like quantum numbers, with the number of quantum numbers depending on the shape of V(r).

we say the same thing

Likes greswd
BvU said:
we say the same thing
nice

1. What is the Time-independent Schrödinger equation?

The Time-independent Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum system over time. It is a partial differential equation that relates the wave function of a system to its energy and potential.

2. What is the general solution to the Time-independent Schrödinger equation?

The general solution to the Time-independent Schrödinger equation is a mathematical expression that describes the wave function of a quantum system at any point in time. It is a combination of the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system.

3. How is the Time-independent Schrödinger equation used in quantum mechanics?

The Time-independent Schrödinger equation is used to calculate the energy levels and wave functions of a quantum system. It is also used to predict the probability of a particle being in a certain position or having a certain momentum.

4. What are the assumptions made in the Time-independent Schrödinger equation?

The Time-independent Schrödinger equation assumes that the system is in a stationary state, meaning its properties do not change over time. It also assumes that the system is isolated and not affected by external forces.

5. How does the Time-independent Schrödinger equation relate to the uncertainty principle?

The Time-independent Schrödinger equation is related to the uncertainty principle in that it allows us to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain position or having a certain momentum. This probability is inherently uncertain, as described by the uncertainty principle.