Time dependence of operators in the Schrödinger picture

In summary, the derivative of an operator ## A_H ## in the Heisenberg picture is given by the commutator with the Hamiltonian operator ## H_H ## and the partial derivative of its representation in the Schrödinger picture, which can have explicit time dependence. The Schrödinger picture is advantageous when dealing with time-independent operators, but it is not a requirement. In cases where explicit time dependence is present, it is important to consider the operators through the lens of the Schrödinger picture and use the appropriate time derivative.
The Tortoise-Man
I found in wikipedia following formula describing the derivative of operator ## A_H ## considered in Heisenberg picture, where ## A_S ## is it's representation in Schroedinger picture:

## \frac{d}{dt}A_\text{H}(t)=\frac{i}{\hbar}[H_\text{H},A_\text{H}(t)]+\left( \frac{\partial A_\text{S}}{\partial t} \right)_\text{H} . ##Note that ## A_H ## and ## A_S ## are related via ## A_{\mathrm{H}}(t) = e^{iHt/\hbar} A_{\mathrm{S}}(t) e^{-iHt/\hbar} ##.What I not understand is why ## \frac{\partial A_\text{S}}{\partial t} ## isn' t zero ? So far I learned it in Schrödinger picture every operator is time independent, so it' time derivative must be zero, right?Or, how does exacty the the 'sloppy' posed assumption on time independence of operators in Schrödinger picture reads in precise mathematical terms? Should it be that there is no explicit time dependence or total time dependence, ie do operators considered through glasses of Schrödinger picture satisfy ## \frac{\partial A_\text{S}}{\partial t} ## or ## \frac{d A_\text{S}}{d t} ## ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes vanhees71
So for operators represented in Schrödinger picture time independence is not an obligatory condition, but happens just often in practice? So one may say that the choice to work in Schrödinger picture provides most advantages when the operators one is dealing with are time independent, but it's not required at all? But what one can say that in Schrödinger all operators satisfy ## \frac{\partial A_\text{S}}{\partial t} = \frac{d A_\text{S}}{d t} ##

The Tortoise-Man said:
I found in wikipedia following formula describing the derivative of operator ## A_H ## considered in Heisenberg picture, where ## A_S ## is it's representation in Schroedinger picture:

## \frac{d}{dt}A_\text{H}(t)=\frac{i}{\hbar}[H_\text{H},A_\text{H}(t)]+\left( \frac{\partial A_\text{S}}{\partial t} \right)_\text{H} . ##Note that ## A_H ## and ## A_S ## are related via ## A_{\mathrm{H}}(t) = e^{iHt/\hbar} A_{\mathrm{S}}(t) e^{-iHt/\hbar} ##.What I not understand is why ## \frac{\partial A_\text{S}}{\partial t} ## isn' t zero ? So far I learned it in Schrödinger picture every operator is time independent, so it' time derivative must be zero, right?Or, how does exacty the the 'sloppy' posed assumption on time independence of operators in Schrödinger picture reads in precise mathematical terms? Should it be that there is no explicit time dependence or total time dependence, ie do operators considered through glasses of Schrödinger picture satisfy ## \frac{\partial A_\text{S}}{\partial t} ## or ## \frac{d A_\text{S}}{d t} ## ?
That's what one should better call "explicit time dependence".

A concrete physical system is described with self-adjoint operators in Hilbert space, representing observables, that are themselves built with a few basic operators with which you can built all other observables of the system. E.g., for a single non-relativsitic particle with zero spin the few basic operators can be chosen as ##\hat{\vec{x}}## and ##\hat{\vec{p}}##, which obey the usual commutation relations
$$[\hat{x}_j,\hat{x}_k]=0, \quad [\hat{p}_j,\hat{p}_k]=0, \quad [\hat{x}_j,\hat{p}_k]=\mathrm{i} \frac{\hbar}{2} \hat{1}.$$
These operators are by definition time-independent in the Schrödinger picture of time evolution.

Nevertheless you can have physical situations, where you need explicitly time-dependent operators that represent observables. This is, e.g., the case if you consider an electron in a time-dependent external electromagnetic field. In the usual semi-classical approximation, where the field is not quantized, then your Hamiltonian reads
$$\hat{H}=\frac{1}{2m} [\hat{\vec{p}}-q \vec{A}(t,\hat{\vec{x}})]^2+q \Phi(t,\hat{\vec{x}}).$$
Here the Hamiltonian is explicitly time dependent in the Schrödinger picture, i.e., ##\hat{\vec{x}}## and ##\hat{\vec{p}}## are time-independent, but ##\hat{H}## has an explicit time dependence through the electromagnetic potentials.

In the Schrödinger picture and arbitrary self-adjoint operator, representing an observable with explicit time dependence you have
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \hat{A}(t,\hat{\vec{x}},\hat{\vec{p}})=\frac{\partial \hat{A}(t,\hat{\vec{x}},\hat{\vec{p}})}{\partial t},$$
and of course the partial derivative here refers only to the explicit time dependence.

You get from the Schrödinger picture to the Heisenberg picture by an explicitly time dependent unitary transformation, which is given in the case of a Hamiltonian that is NOT explicitly time dependent,
$$\hat{A}_{\text{H}}(t,\hat{\vec{x}}_{\text{H}},\hat{\vec{p}}_{\text{H}})=\exp(\mathrm{i} t \hat{H}/\hbar) \hat{A}(t,\hat{\vec{x}},\hat{\vec{p}}) \exp(-\mathrm{i} t \hat{H}/\hbar).$$
From this you get
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \hat{A}_{\text{H}}(t,\hat{\vec{x}}_{\text{H}},\hat{\vec{p}}_{\text{H}}) = \frac{1}{\mathrm{i} \hbar} [\hat{A}_{\text{H}},\hat{H}] + \partial_t \hat{A}_{\text{H}}.$$
In the time derivative of the Heisenberg picture the commutator with the Hamiltonian takes care of the time dependence of ##\hat{\vec{x}}_{\text{H}}## and ##\hat{\vec{p}}_{\text{H}}## and the partial time derivative again of the explicit time dependence of ##\hat{A}##.

Likes The Tortoise-Man, LittleSchwinger, DrClaude and 1 other person
The Tortoise-Man said:
So for operators represented in Schrödinger picture time independence is not an obligatory condition, but happens just often in practice?
In general, something being a function of time does not prohibit something being constant in time. That's just a special case.

As I said in #4, by definition the fundamental operators of the observable-algebra representation in the Schrödinger picture of time evolution are time-independent, and the entire time evolution is in the states (statistical operators/state kets). Consequently, in the Schrödinger picture a possible time-dependence of an observable is entirely an explicit time dependence.

Likes LittleSchwinger

1. What is the Schrödinger picture in quantum mechanics?

The Schrödinger picture is one of two commonly used pictures in quantum mechanics, the other being the Heisenberg picture. In the Schrödinger picture, the states of a quantum system are time-dependent, while the operators are time-independent.

2. What does it mean for an operator to be time-dependent in the Schrödinger picture?

In the Schrödinger picture, the operators represent physical observables of the system and their values do not change with time. However, the states of the system evolve over time according to the Schrödinger equation.

3. How is the time dependence of operators in the Schrödinger picture related to the time evolution of states?

The time dependence of operators in the Schrödinger picture is related to the time evolution of states through the Schrödinger equation. The equation describes how the state of a quantum system changes over time, and the operators in the Schrödinger picture are used to calculate the values of physical observables at different points in time.

4. Can the Schrödinger picture be used for all quantum systems?

Yes, the Schrödinger picture can be used for all quantum systems, as long as the system is in a pure state. However, for systems in a mixed state, the Heisenberg picture may be more appropriate.

5. How does the Schrödinger picture differ from the Heisenberg picture?

In the Schrödinger picture, the states of a quantum system are time-dependent, while the operators are time-independent. In the Heisenberg picture, it is the operators that are time-dependent, while the states remain time-independent. The choice between the two pictures depends on the specific problem being studied and the convenience of the chosen representation.