Generalisation of terms in a series

In summary, the confusion lies in the use of the same variable "r" for the generic formula and the specific expansion of sinx, as well as the fact that the exponent of x in the general formula corresponds to the order of the derivative. This leads to the incorrect assumption that the third derivative term should equal (-1)^3x^7 /7!, when in fact it is -1x^3/3!.
jackiepollock
Homework Statement
I'm stuck at understanding the generalisation of the terms in a series
Relevant Equations
Maclaurin series
Hello. I'm not sure how the generalisation comes about (where I circle).

I assume that r means the the rth derivative of f(x). If that's the case, as I plug 3 = r into this generalisation, the third derivative term should equal to (-1)^3x^7 /7!, but the third derivative term is -1x^3/3!.

What's the problem?
Screenshot 2021-08-04 at 11.34.27.png

Screenshot 2021-08-04 at 11.45.13.png

Physics news on Phys.org
##\frac{(-1)^r}{(2r+1)!}x^{2r+1}## is the ##(2r+1)## term of the series, which means that for r=3 you get the ##2r+1=2\cdot 3+1=7## that is the 7th term of the series. The 3rd term of the series is for the ##r'## such that ##2r'+1=3## or ##r'=1##.
In case you wonder what happens to the ##2r## terms of the series, they are all zero because the corresponding derivative at 0 ##f^{(2r)}(0)=0## is equal to zero

Essentially what I am telling you is that the even terms of the series are all zeros and the odd terms are ##\frac{(-1)^r}{(2r+1)!}x^{2r+1}##

Likes PeroK
jackiepollock said:
I assume that r means the the rth derivative of f(x). If that's the case, as I plug 3 = r into this generalisation, the third derivative term should equal to (-1)^3x^7 /7!, but the third derivative term is -1x^3/3!.

What's the problem?
Your assumption is incorrect. The ##r## in the expansion for ##\sin x## and the ##r## in the general formula for the Maclaurin series are different variables. Note in the general formula, the exponent of ##x## is equal to the order of the derivative, so the ##x^7## term is matched to the seventh derivative of ##f##.

Likes Delta2
vela said:
Your assumption is incorrect. The ##r## in the expansion for ##\sin x## and the ##r## in the general formula for the Maclaurin series are different variables. Note in the general formula, the exponent of ##x## is equal to the order of the derivative, so the ##x^7## term is matched to the seventh derivative of ##f##.
Yes I think what confuses him is that the even terms of the series are zero for the specific expansion of ##\sin x## and that they use the same letter r for the generic series formula and for the specific series of sinx.

1. What is the definition of generalisation of terms in a series?

The generalisation of terms in a series refers to the process of identifying a pattern or rule that can be applied to a series of terms or numbers in order to find the next term in the series.

2. Why is generalisation of terms in a series important in science?

Generalisation of terms in a series is important in science because it allows scientists to make predictions and draw conclusions based on patterns and rules found in data. This can help in the development of theories and understanding of natural phenomena.

3. How is generalisation of terms in a series used in data analysis?

In data analysis, generalisation of terms in a series is used to identify trends and patterns in a set of data. This can help in making predictions and drawing conclusions about the data, as well as in creating models to represent the data.

4. What are some common methods used for generalisation of terms in a series?

Some common methods used for generalisation of terms in a series include finding the difference between consecutive terms, identifying a common ratio or factor between terms, and using algebraic equations to represent the pattern.

5. How does generalisation of terms in a series relate to the scientific method?

Generalisation of terms in a series is an important step in the scientific method as it involves making observations, identifying patterns, and developing theories or models to explain the data. This can then be tested and refined through further experimentation and analysis.