Generalization of Lorentz ether

In summary, the discussion revolves around the challenges to the concept of spacetime in relativity theory. The violation of Bell's inequality is mentioned as a potential challenge, but it is argued that it is not a serious challenge within the classical context. The idea that spacetime may be an emergent phenomenon is also brought up, but it is stated that there is currently no evidence to support this. The possibility of constructing a physical theory without a 4-dimensional spacetime continuum is mentioned, but it is argued that such theories do not yet exist and would still need to explain the success of the current model. Overall, there is no serious scientific challenge to the concept of spacetime in relativity theory at this time.
Ilja
<<Moderators note:
Discussion split from: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/motivation-for-the-introduction-of-spacetime.866669/>>

PeterDonis said:
They are the reasons standardly given in relativity theory. Whether they are "satisfactory" depends on who you are trying to satisfy. :wink: But I'm not aware of any serious scientific challenges to them.
You think the violation of Bell's inequality is not a serious challenge?

You have to give up realism as well as causality if you want to defend the spacetime. An interpretation where we are, unfortunately, unable to measure with clocks and rulers which events happen at the same time, but this "same time" nonetheless exists, and "spacetime" fundamentally splits into space and time, can be realistic as well as causal.

In fact, I cannot imagine a more serious challenge of whatever belief - if I would have to give up realism and causality to defend this belief.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes secur
Physics news on Phys.org
Ilja said:
You think the violation of Bell's inequality is not a serious challenge?

Not with respect to the classical theory of relativity, which is what I understood the OP to be asking about. It might be when we take quantum mechanics into account, although our current best theory of quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, still uses the underlying spacetime structure we are talking about. See below.

Ilja said:
You have to give up realism as well as causality if you want to defend the spacetime.

I'm not sure I agree. In QFT, the requirement of causality is that field operators at spacelike separated events commute. That requirement does not imply that the Bell inequalities must be satisfied. So QFT can account for violations of the Bell inequalities while still having spacetime and causality. I don't think "realism" is a precise enough term to add anything here.

PeterDonis said:
Not with respect to the classical theory of relativity, which is what I understood the OP to be asking about.

Ok, the OP may have made his question in a classical context. But if there are serious challenges outside the classical domain, it would be misleading to hide them making explicit claims that you are not aware of any serious scientific challenges. This would be fine only if you would have added "in the classical domain".

PeterDonis said:
In QFT, the requirement of causality is that field operators at spacelike separated events commute. That requirement does not imply that the Bell inequalities must be satisfied. So QFT can account for violations of the Bell inequalities while still having spacetime and causality. I don't think "realism" is a precise enough term to add anything here.
Yes. But this is a serious weaking of the notion of causality. It is essentially about correlations, not about causality. Fundamental principles of causality, like Reichenbach's principle of common cause, have to be given up. But to give it up is a serious damage to the scientific method itself. You know, this is the principle which forces scientists to search for causal explanations of observed correlations.

And the EPR principle of reality - more is not necessary from realism to prove the Bell inequalities - is precise enough. And obvious enough to understand that giving it up is a quite serious thing. What could be a meaningful meaning of realism if the EPR criterion does not hold?

Likes secur
Ilja said:
if there are serious challenges outside the classical domain, it would be misleading to hide them making explicit claims that you are not aware of any serious scientific challenges.

Until somebody constructs a physical theory that (a) doesn't use a 4-dimensional spacetime continuum as a fundamental construct, and (b) matches experiments, there isn't a serious scientific challenge. There might be various philosophical challenges (see below), but that's not the same thing.

Furthermore, any such model will still have to explain why a 4-dimensional spacetime continuum model works so well in the domain in which it's verified to work. Such an explanation will end up invoking the same considerations that have already been mentioned in this thread.

Ilja said:
this is a serious weaking of the notion of causality.

What you mean is, it's a notion of causality that doesn't conform to your opinions about what a notion of causality should be. Whether or not I agree with those opinions is beside the point. Any discussion along those lines is philosophy, not physics, and is off topic here.

Similar remarks apply to your comments about the scientific method and the EPR principle of reality.

Likes martinbn, Dale, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
Ilja said:
Ok, the OP may have made his question in a classical context. But if there are serious challenges outside the classical domain, it would be misleading to hide them making explicit claims that you are not aware of any serious scientific challenges. This would be fine only if you would have added "in the classical domain".
I disagree completely. Modern QFT is also compatible with special relativity and therefore not a challenge to the idea of spacetime either. The limitation "in the classical domain" does seem to specify the context of the OP, but is not required for PeterDonis' statements to be correct.

There are tentative theories in which spacetime may be an emergent phenomenon or something else, but there is no evidence supporting them at present and even if there were it would be more of an explanation of spacetime than a challenge to spacetime.

I think your characterization is wrong and the tone is rather inflammatory.

Likes peety, vanhees71 and martinbn
PeterDonis said:
Until somebody constructs a physical theory that (a) doesn't use a 4-dimensional spacetime continuum as a fundamental construct, and (b) matches experiments, there isn't a serious scientific challenge. There might be various philosophical challenges (see below), but that's not the same thing.
No, to construct such a theory is not problematic at all, such theories exist and are published.
Schmelzer, I.: A Condensed Matter Interpretation of SM Fermions and Gauge Fields, Found. Phys. vol. 39, 1, p. 73-107 (2009), arXiv:0908.0591
Schmelzer, I.: A generalization of the Lorentz ether to gravity with general-relativistic limit, Advances in Applied Clifford Algebras 22, 1 (2012), p. 203-242, arXiv:gr-qc/0205035
PeterDonis said:
Furthermore, any such model will still have to explain why a 4-dimensional spacetime continuum model works so well in the domain in which it's verified to work. Such an explanation will end up invoking the same considerations that have already been mentioned in this thread.
No. The second paper contains a derivation of the Einstein Equivalence Principle which in no way invokes your considerations.
PeterDonis said:
What you mean is, it's a notion of causality that doesn't conform to your opinions about what a notion of causality should be. Whether or not I agree with those opinions is beside the point. Any discussion along those lines is philosophy, not physics, and is off topic here.
Similar remarks apply to your comments about the scientific method and the EPR principle of reality.
Ok, once you think it is forbidden to discuss Reichenbach's common cause principle and EPR-realism and their role in science in a discussion about physics, I have to live with this.

Likes secur
Ilja said:
Schmelzer, I.: A generalization of the Lorentz ether to gravity with general-relativistic limit, Advances in Applied Clifford Algebras 22, 1 (2012), p. 203-242, arXiv:gr-qc/0205035
I wonder if this theory is even still viable in light of recent GW observations of a black hole merger? Also, fundamentally since it has more free parameters than GR, it is more complicated than GR and unlikely to be more than a mathematical curiosity unless it correctly predicts experimental results that disagree with GR.

I think you should probably try to work through it and publish a bit more on it, particularly in more reputable journals. It seems a little premature to be promoting it until then.

Last edited:
Dale said:
I wonder if this theory is even still viable in light of recent GW observations of a black hole merger?
I would not expect any serious differences. The GWs, as far as they are observable, are the same. I cannot afford for myself any complex numerical computations to check this, but the differences appear anyway only very close to the black hole horizon, and, anyway, only for [itex]\Upsilon>0[/itex].
Dale said:
Also, fundamentally since it has more free parameters than GR, it is more complicated than GR and unlikely to be more than a mathematical curiosity unless it correctly predicts experimental results that disagree with GR.
The curiosity has no quantization problem at all. We know how to quantize a condensed matter theory. The non-renormalizability remains, of course, but is not problematic at all, because for a continuous condensed matter theory it is natural to be an effective theory only. All the other GR quantization problems simply vanish into nothing. This is, of course, nothing.
Dale said:
I think you should probably try to work through it and publish a bit more on it, particularly in more reputable journals. It seems a little premature to be promoting it until then.
I'm already sure that whatever I do more, it will be ignored anyway.

Seen the first paper? Which explains the SM in a quite simple way? Such a result would be the dream of string theory, but they have no hope to reach something similar. A derivation of the SM gauge group and all fermions from simple first principles and a surprisingly simple model. More reputable journals? Foundations of Physics not enough reputation? Sorry, but more reputable journals do not even peer-review papers about theories with the e-word. Once this paper has been simply ignored, I have given up the hope that any publication of any result about an ether theory will change anything. I probably have to wait until string theory is completely dead and people are really looking for something new.

The theory of gravity is already necessary to support this ether model for the SM. Because, else, it can be ignored with the excuse that it is incompatible with gravity. It isn't, as shown by this theory of gravity. By the way, the main formulas of the theory of gravity are also in the appendix of the Foundations Physics paper.

Ilja said:
to construct such a theory is not problematic at all, such theories exist and are published.

Do these theories make any testable predictions that are different from the standard theories?

Likes peety
PeterDonis said:
Do these theories make any testable predictions that are different from the standard theories?
The first paper explains the Standard Model of particle physics. Explanation is, essentially, a post-diction, a prediction about what we already know, from observation, but have no explanation for.

The Standard Model simply postulates a lot of fields. The theory predicts, starting from a sufficiently simple model, and sufficiently simple principles, the fermion and gauge fields of the SM. So, if it would have been proposed earlier, it would have predicted three generations of fermions, three colors of quarks and so on.

Which is already much much more than what string theory dreams of.

The theory of gravity predicts that the universe has to have trivial topology, and has to be flat (the flat universe is the only homogeneous one).

I hope you will apply similar criteria to my theories in comparison with string theory as well as LQG and other fundamental proposals (except, of course, for the criterion "it is mainstream").

Ilja said:
The first paper explains the Standard Model of particle physics.

Ok, but it doesn't make any new testable predictions, correct? For example, it doesn't predict new particles the way supersymmetric extensions of the SM do, correct? It just predicts the same observations that the SM predicts?

Ilja said:
The theory of gravity predicts that the universe has to have trivial topology

I assume by "trivial" you mean ##R^4##? Absolutely, or just on cosmological scales? I.e., does this theory also predict that there are no actual black holes, only apparent ones? ("Apparent" meaning "something that looks locally like a horizon and region inside it, but is compatible with global ##R^4## topology".) If so, that would be a (possibly) testable prediction that's different from at least some current models (but this is an area where there isn't an "established" theory, because we don't have an established theory of quantum gravity).

Ilja said:
and has to be flat (the flat universe is the only homogeneous one).

I assume you mean spatially flat?

Ilja said:
I hope you will apply similar criteria to my theories in comparison with string theory as well as LQG and other fundamental proposals (except, of course, for the criterion "it is mainstream").

Remember that PF is for discussion of already established science, not for trying to discover new science, which is what you are doing. We do have the Beyond the Standard Model forum, where the rules are a bit different because no theory beyond the SM can be said to be "established" at this point. We generally try to limit discussion of string theory, LQG, etc. to that forum for that very reason.

PeterDonis said:
Ok, but it doesn't make any new testable predictions, correct? For example, it doesn't predict new particles the way supersymmetric extensions of the SM do, correct? It just predicts the same observations that the SM predicts?
There are some additional scalar fields. Massive, with unknown but large masses, so some CDM candidates. There are also the gauge degrees of freedom, which can in some sense play the role of the Higgs.
PeterDonis said:
I assume by "trivial" you mean ##R^4##? Absolutely, or just on cosmological scales?
Absolutely.
PeterDonis said:
I.e., does this theory also predict that there are no actual black holes, only apparent ones? ("Apparent" meaning "something that looks locally like a horizon and region inside it, but is compatible with global ##R^4## topology".) If so, that would be a (possibly) testable prediction that's different from at least some current models (but this is an area where there isn't an "established" theory, because we don't have an established theory of quantum gravity).
Correct. There is a critical parameter, [itex]\Upsilon[/itex], and for [itex]\Upsilon>0[/itex] we have stable gravastars with a size slightly greater than horizon size. For large enough [itex]\Upsilon>0[/itex] this would lead to observable differences, but [itex]\Upsilon[/itex] would have to be extremely small for another difference, namely a big bounce instead of a big bang, to be compatible with what is known about the big bang.

For [itex]\Upsilon<0[/itex] there would be nothing but a little more dark matter, so the modification of GR would be insignificant for anything observable. One could never reach the region inside a black hole nonetheless - this is because "proper time" is only interpreted as distorted clock time, not as real time, and the infalling observer would be simply frozen.
PeterDonis said:
I assume you mean spatially flat?
Of course.
PeterDonis said:
Remember that PF is for discussion of already established science, not for trying to discover new science, which is what you are doing.
I have not started a thread about this, recognizing very well that PF is open only to those parts of speculative science which are sociologically established by a lot of grants and so on, without caring about the real results.

I have only answered a false claim, which I have rejected with a reference to published papers. Here was the relevant claim:
PeterDonis said:
Until somebody constructs a physical theory that (a) doesn't use a 4-dimensional spacetime continuum as a fundamental construct, and (b) matches experiments, there isn't a serious scientific challenge.
And I think once the theory is published in a peer-reviewed journal, and simply ignored instead of being questioned, the fact of the existence of such a theory is part of established science, not? So I think my response was appropriate and on-topic.

PeterDonis said:
We do have the Beyond the Standard Model forum, where the rules are a bit different because no theory beyond the SM can be said to be "established" at this point. We generally try to limit discussion of string theory, LQG, etc. to that forum for that very reason.
If it would be ok to start a thread about my theories this would be fine.

As I have already said, I have already accepted that for the evaluation of the value of such theories it is irrelevant what has been really reached by the particular directions, what counts are published papers, received grants and other sociological points. This makes sense today, where the young scientist is extremely insecure and has to care most about the question where he gets the next grant after the end of the actual one, instead of caring which approach will win in the long run because it is better. The long run does not matter if the young scientist works, in this long run, as a taxi driver.

Nonetheless, even in such a situation it may be helpful to distribute some information about the existence of these results. So that, similar to Bohmian mechanics, it will not be completely forgotten, but at least one guy (for Bohmian mechanics, this was Bell) will know about it. And in some future the situation may become different, who knows.

Ilja said:
once the theory is published in a peer-reviewed journal, and simply ignored instead of being questioned, the fact of the existence of such a theory is part of established science, not?

Um, you are aware that my statement applies equally well to string theory and LQG, are you not? "Established" in this context doesn't just mean "published"--it means "verified by experiment". That means the theory has to make some prediction that other theories do not make, and that prediction has to be verified. Your theory does appear to make some predictions that other theories don't make (for example, gravastars instead of black holes); but those predictions can't be tested either way with our current observational abilities. That's why, as I said, we try to put discussions of string theory, LQG, etc. into the BTSM forum, and when those theories get mentioned in other forums, we try to be explicit that they're speculative, not confirmed, at this point.

Ilja said:
If it would be ok to start a thread about my theories this would be fine.

Since, as you say, your work has been published in peer-reviewed journals, you could at least suggest it as an acceptable reference. The question would be, on what basis would you start a thread? Just saying "here are my theories, explain to me why they're wrong" wouldn't be sufficient--any more than a similar post based on string theory or LQG would. Even "here are some papers, does anyone see any issues with them?" wouldn't really be sufficient, because, as I said, PF is not for discovering new science.

Ilja said:
even in such a situation it may be helpful to distribute some information about the existence of these results.

PF isn't for this either. Your papers are posted on arxiv. You can always have your own blog.

Likes weirdoguy
Ilja said:
The second paper contains a derivation of the Einstein Equivalence Principle which in no way invokes your considerations.

I'm not sure I understand. The theory still uses the underlying manifold ##R^4##, and still defines a metric on that manifold with a (1, 3) signature. The metric is technically not "fundamental", since it's constructed from other entities, but it's there, and its existence, AFAICT, is crucial to the derivation of the EEP. This derivation doesn't explicitly mention the considerations discussed earlier in this thread, but it certainly relies on them implicitly since they are equivalent to having a metric with a (1, 3) signature.

PeterDonis said:
I'm not sure I understand. The theory still uses the underlying manifold ##R^4##, and still defines a metric on that manifold with a (1, 3) signature. The metric is technically not "fundamental", since it's constructed from other entities, but it's there, and its existence, AFAICT, is crucial to the derivation of the EEP. This derivation doesn't explicitly mention the considerations discussed earlier in this thread, but it certainly relies on them implicitly since they are equivalent to having a metric with a (1, 3) signature.
What is crucial for a derivation is what one has to assume. The metric itself is not fundamental, and it is also not assumed.

In fact, the main points of the derivation do not even mention the metric. We have classical Noether conservation laws, because of translational symmetries. This gives an energy-momentum tensor. This tensor is identified with the gravitational field - which is roughly the definition of the gravitational field. All other fields are called matter fields. The Noether connection between translational symmetry and conservation law has, in the formalism, the form that the conservation laws are the equations for the preferred coordinates. Then comes the action equals reaction symmetry, and the point that by construction of the gravitational field, the equations for the preferred coordinates depend only on the gravitational field, not on matter fields. Which gives that the equations for matter fields do not depend on the preferred coordinates. Which is the EEP.

I see here no role for a metric, even less with signature (1,3). That the gravitational field is described by such a metric is the consequence of some additional assumptions. But this is in no way connected to the EEP. The EEP proof would go through even if the gravitational field - the energy-momentum tensor - would be described differently.

Ilja said:
In fact, the main points of the derivation do not even mention the metric.

Your proof that the EEP holds depends on your proof (corollary 1 in section 8) that "internal observers" can describe all their experiments and observations as if they were in a local solution of what you call "GRCF". In other words, you're depending on the fact that the solution can be described the way GR would describe it, using a metric with a (1, 3) signature.

PeterDonis said:
Um, you are aware that my statement applies equally well to string theory and LQG, are you not?
It would be nice if this would be really the case.
PeterDonis said:
The question would be, on what basis would you start a thread? Just saying "here are my theories, explain to me why they're wrong" wouldn't be sufficient--any more than a similar post based on string theory or LQG would. Even "here are some papers, does anyone see any issues with them?" wouldn't really be sufficient, because, as I said, PF is not for discovering new science.
Very simple, on the same reasons people start threads in BTSM about whatever, for whatever justification. If string theory and LQG papers which have no empirical relevance at all can be posted there, why not starting a thread with much more closer relation to the SM and to GR?

I'm not sure if all the other threads of BTSM have any base at all in the forum rules. I would not wonder if not - a quite common mechanism to have rigorous rules which nobody fulfills, but if any outsider comes and violates them too, he will be punished, while the established mainstream guys go unpunished.

So I would hope (recognizing that this hope is quite naive, or, more accurate, rhetorical) that you can explain why the BTSM forum is not simply empty, and this justification would give, I think, also a justification for me to present my theory there.

PeterDonis said:
Your proof that the EEP holds depends on your proof (corollary 1 in section 8) that "internal observers" can describe all their experiments and observations as if they were in a local solution of what you call "GRCF". In other words, you're depending on the fact that the solution can be described the way GR would describe it, using a metric with a (1, 3) signature.
So, ok, this particular proof relies on this. What is behind, as discussed in app. D., does not have to rely on this.

Ilja said:
I would not expect any serious differences. The GWs, as far as they are observable, are the same. I cannot afford for myself any complex numerical computations to check this, but the differences appear anyway only very close to the black hole horizon, and, anyway, only for Υ>0Υ>0\Upsilon>0.
If the observable results are the same then the theory with fewer free parameters is scientifically preferable. But since the computation hasn't been published it is still a bit speculative to make that claim on PF.

Ilja said:
More reputable journals? Foundations of Physics not enough reputation?
Their most recent impact factor is 1.03. At least it is not less than 1, but yes there is substantial room for improvement.

Ilja said:
Sorry, but more reputable journals do not even peer-review papers about theories with the e-word.
So then why did you put that word in there? That seems like a really bad choice on your part.

You believe that you have an absolutely revolutionary theory that is rejected, not based on any flaws of the theory, but on a simple word choice. So why didn't you choose a different word and reap the professional rewards of your theory?

If your theory is as truly revolutionary as you believe then someone will take it and present it without that word, and then this paper will just serve as a citation in the new paper.

Likes weirdoguy and PeterDonis
Ilja said:
on the same reasons people start threads in BTSM about whatever, for whatever justification.

People start threads in BTSM (or threads that get moved there) because they have questions about string theory or LQG or some other theory that goes beyond the current Standard Model (which in this context includes GR). If someone saw your paper on arxiv or in a journal and had a question about it, that forum is where the post would properly go.

People aren't supposed to start threads in BTSM, or anywhere else, just to say "I just posted this paper on arxiv, please look at it". If you find threads of that sort, you are welcome to report them so the moderators can deal with them.

Ilja said:
I'm not sure if all the other threads of BTSM have any base at all in the forum rules.

Again, if you see a thread in BTSM, or anywhere, that you think violates the rules, the proper response is to report it so the moderators can take appropriate action.

Ilja said:
What is behind, as discussed in app. D., does not have to rely on this.

I'll take a look at Appendix D.

Ilja said:
if it would have been proposed earlier, it would have predicted three generations of fermions

I don't see a prediction of three generations of fermions (e.g., electron, muon, tauon, and their corresponding neutrinos and quarks) in the paper. I see a derivation of the gauge group SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1), but the SM contains three copies of this group (at least for the fermions), one for each generation, not just one. Of course you could construct a model with three copies of your underlying lattice, but why must it be three?

PeterDonis said:
I don't see a prediction of three generations of fermions (e.g., electron, muon, tauon, and their corresponding neutrinos and quarks) in the paper. I see a derivation of the gauge group SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1), but the SM contains three copies of this group (at least for the fermions), one for each generation, not just one. Of course you could construct a model with three copies of your underlying lattice, but why must it be three?
No, the fermions of the theory are described by [itex]Aff(3) \times \mathbb{C} \times \Lambda(\mathbb{R}^3)[/itex] which contains already three generations. [itex]\mathbb{C} \times \Lambda(\mathbb{R}^3)[/itex] are eight complex fields, an electroweak doublet, and an affine matrix is 3 x (1+3), so all this corresponds to three generations times (one lepton plus three quark) doublets.

PeterDonis said:
People start threads in BTSM (or threads that get moved there) because they have questions about string theory or LQG or some other theory that goes beyond the current Standard Model (which in this context includes GR). If someone saw your paper on arxiv or in a journal and had a question about it, that forum is where the post would properly go.
So, as I have guessed, all speculations are equal, but some are more equal. Namely those supported by the scientific mainstream, because only those have a chance to raise questions by young physicists who may hope for grants in such a direction.

But I see, the rules are even more open for their clear preference for established speculations. To quote:
BTSM rules said:
All threads in this forum are intended for discussion of the scientific content of well-researched models of physics beyond the Standard Model that have been published in peer-reviewed journals.
This forum may not be used to propose new ideas or personal theories. All threads of this nature that are started in this forum will be removed by Mentors.
In other words, established speculative theories (named "well-researched") are welcome, new speculative theories are forbidden, even if the already published results of the new theories are much better than what the established theories have reached during their whole lifetime.

So, your forum is clearly and obviously, by the rules, designed to favor established speculative theories against new competitors. And, of course, it makes no sense to propose a modification of the rules to make them fair. They have not been designed to be fair, but designed to favor the establishment. Such is life, in politics as well as in science. Every lobby in every parliament of the world manages to design laws which favor themselves and harm competitors, so there is no reason to expect that this may be different in science.

As a new competitor I depend on loopholes in such regulations - in this case, I have used the loophole that I'm allowed to answer false claims about the nonexistence of some theories with a reference to a publication of such theories.

Dale said:
If the observable results are the same then the theory with fewer free parameters is scientifically preferable. But since the computation hasn't been published it is still a bit speculative to make that claim on PF.
The equations have the Einstein equations of GR as the limit [itex]\Xi,\Upsilon \to 0[/itex], the additional terms do not depend on derivatives of the metric and become otherwise large only where the preferred coordinates become singular. For [itex]\Xi>0 ,\Upsilon < 0[/itex] the additional degrees of freedom behave like simple massless dark matter, thus, will not cause anything problematic. So all what one has to expect from computations given the GR prediction is viable are upper bounds for the [itex]\Upsilon> 0[/itex] case.

Explain your point about preferability to all the string theorists and supersymmetry and GUT lovers.
Dale said:
So then why did you put that word in there? That seems like a really bad choice on your part.
I thought this is science, and not a domain where political correctness matters.
Dale said:
You believe that you have an absolutely revolutionary theory that is rejected, not based on any flaws of the theory, but on a simple word choice. So why didn't you choose a different word and reap the professional rewards of your theory?
Sorry, no. It was not rejected, but, finally, accepted by Foundations of Physics. And I know already that even a PRD publication would not change the situation at all. A research direction which can offer absolutely not a single grant has no chance, published or not.
Dale said:
If your theory is as truly revolutionary as you believe then someone will take it and present it without that word, and then this paper will just serve as a citation in the new paper.
No. The preferred frame is anathema even if I do not use the e-word. To work in this domain would be, without a permanent position in the background, scientific suicide, because there are no interested journals, no conferences, no positions, no grants, nothing. If a young scientist would find my theory interesting and show some interest working in this direction, I would have to warn him.

I have had the funny experience of writing a rejection to a published paper, where even the author, heavily criticized in the paper, has recommended publication, but it was nonetheless rejected. Too much ether.

Likes harrylin
Ilja said:
The equations have the Einstein equations of GR as the limit Ξ,Υ→0Ξ,Υ→0\Xi,\Upsilon \to 0, the additional terms do not depend on derivatives of the metric and become otherwise large only where the preferred coordinates become singular. For Ξ>0,Υ<0Ξ>0,Υ<0\Xi>0 ,\Upsilon < 0 the additional degrees of freedom behave like simple massless dark matter, thus, will not cause anything problematic. So all what one has to expect from computations given the GR prediction is viable are upper bounds for the Υ>0Υ>0\Upsilon> 0 case.
What a new theory needs is an experiment that predicts something measurably different from existing theories. In this case you need an experiment which is highly sensitive to your parameters. Then, for the theory to be useful, the experiment must be close enough to 0 to agree with other experiments, but far enough from 0 so that 0 is definitively excluded.

Ilja said:
Explain your point about preferability to all the string theorists and supersymmetry and GUT lovers.
I agree with you here, which is why I stay out of the BTSM forum altogether.

Ilja said:
I thought this is science, and not a domain where political correctness matters.
Science is done by scientists, and scientists are humans, so politics does matter some. The importance of politics is less than in most other fields of human endeavor because there is an objective criterion for success: experiment.

However, your theory has not passed that objective criterion, so it is more subject to politics than it would be otherwise. You find it elegant and appealing for philosophical reasons, others do not. And by labeling it poorly you have essentially ensured that it would garner minimal political support at a time when it has no experimental support.

Ilja said:
It was not rejected, but, finally, accepted by Foundations of Physics
So then you agree that it deserves to be there? That it is an idea whose impact merits publication in a journal with an impact factor of ~1.

I have published many papers in a variety of journals. The papers that I have published in lower impact journals I recognize as being low impact papers. Often I suspected, in advance, that it would get rejected from the high impact journals.

I find that usually papers are published in the journals where they deserve to be published.
Ilja said:
A research direction which can offer absolutely not a single grant has no chance, published or not.
No. The preferred frame is anathema even if I do not use the e-word.
Nonsense. There are many Lorentz violating theories out and under current consideration including funding and sophisticated experiments. The recently developed SME even provides a recognized test theory for such experiments.

If your assertion were correct then none of these other people or experiments would have received funding. A preferred frame is not a death sentence for a theory and it is simply against the facts to claim that the scientific establishment automatically rejects such theories without consideration.

Last edited:
Ilja said:
the fermions of the theory are described by ##Aff(3) \times \mathbb{C} \times \Lambda(\mathbb{R}^3)## which contains already three generations. ##\mathbb{C} \times \Lambda(\mathbb{R}^3)## are eight complex fields, an electroweak doublet, and an affine matrix is 3 x (1+3), so all this corresponds to three generations times (one lepton plus three quark) doublets.

Ah, ok, got it.

Dale said:
What a new theory needs is an experiment that predicts something measurably different from existing theories. In this case you need an experiment which is highly sensitive to your parameters. Then, for the theory to be useful, the experiment must be close enough to 0 to agree with other experiments, but far enough from 0 so that 0 is definitively excluded.
So that means that we actually do not need any new theories? GR + SM are actually quite fine, except for the CDM part, which is rather unspecific, so that almost every minor modification of the SM can find some candidates.
Dale said:
Science is done by scientists, and scientists are humans, so politics does matter some. The importance of politics is less than in most other fields of human endeavor because there is an objective criterion for success: experiment.
However, your theory has not passed that objective criterion, so it is more subject to politics than it would be otherwise. You find it elegant and appealing for philosophical reasons, others do not. And by labeling it poorly you have essentially ensured that it would garner minimal political support at a time when it has no experimental support.
I think the explanation of the SM is a sufficient replacement for experiment, in a situation where we have no need for new theories because of problems with experiments and observation.

The theoretical problems (unification, quantization of gravity) should also count at least a little bit.
Dale said:
So then you agree that it deserves to be there? That it is an idea whose impact merits publication in a journal with an impact factor of ~1.
I have never thought about publication in such terms. Actually I do not have to care about impact factors at all. Anyway I do not even want a job in the mainstream where the number of citations of my papers would matter. I have accepted the challenge to publish my theories in some sufficiently good peer-reviewed journal, despite the quite extreme prejudice against the ether.
Dale said:
Nonsense. There are many Lorentz violating theories out and under current consideration including funding and sophisticated experiments. The recently developed SME even provides a recognized test theory for such experiments.
If your assertion were correct then none of these other people or experiments would have received funding.
Sorry, but this is about something completely different. Of course, even if everybody believes that GR is fundamentally true, experimental tests will be done simply to improve the accuracy of the tests. The experimenters are anyway not suspect of anathema if they do tests which can support the mainstream predictions. And, of course, the evaluation of such tests also needs some toy theories to see how much they will be restricted by the tests.
Dale said:
A preferred frame is not a death sentence for a theory and it is simply against the facts to claim that the scientific establishment automatically rejects such theories without consideration.
Not completely without consideration - in this case I could not have published them. But the papers are rejected based on minor objections, in one example the reviewer thought that the paper will be not interesting for the readers. I can compare, I have published also some papers about QM foundations, in favor of dBB theory, thus, also not exactly mainstream, but in comparison far more close. It was much much easier, and I have nothing to object about my peer review experiences for these papers.

Ilja said:
even if everybody believes that GR is fundamentally true

Does "everybody" believe that? As I understand it, the mainstream position is that GR is a low-energy classical effective field theory, and the underlying fundamental theory is some version of quantum gravity.

Ilja said:
I think the explanation of the SM is a sufficient replacement for experiment,
There is no "replacement for experiment" in science.

Ilja said:
Sorry, but this is about something completely different.
No, it is a direct rebuttal to your claim. You claimed that it was impossible to get funding if your research involved a preferred frame, even if you don't use the word ether. And yet there is a body of funded research that tests such theories. They use words like Lorentz violating or CPT violating rather than ether, and are able to secure funding.

Ilja said:
The experimenters are anyway not suspect of anathema if they do tests which can support the mainstream predictions.
If a test is a valid scientific test then it must be able to either support or contradict the theory, depending on the outcome of the experiment. So of course the tests "can support the mainstream predictions". They also could contradict the mainstream predictions. That is the whole point of running the test.

Ilja said:
But the papers are rejected based on minor objections, in one example the reviewer thought that the paper will be not interesting for the readers
That is, in fact, a major objection. I always give my judgement of the level of interest for the readership of the journal. It is important feedback for both the editors and the author.

Ilja said:
Not completely without consideration - in this case I could not have published them.
So you believe that you are smart enough to single-handedly revolutionize all of modern physics, but not smart enough to figure out a way to describe it without using the word "ether"?

Likes peety and PeterDonis
Is there a good definition of 'preferred frame'? Wikipedia refers to a frame where the laws are 'different/simpler' as if that isn't a problematic distinction. In Ptolemaic times when the Earth provided the preferred frame descriptions of orbits were not just over-complex but fundamentally flawed as an explanation of planetary motion. In the context of SR and GR what would the discovery of a preferred frame imply?

I'm not sure there's a totally clear definition because we've never found such a frame. But here's an example of what I understand by the term. The typical misunderstanding of time dilation is that the faster you go the slower time runs, and the slower you go the faster time runs. If that were really the way the world worked then it would imply one state of motion in which time ran at its maximum rate - all observers in motion with respect to this frame would see its clocks ticking faster than theirs. That would be an example of a detectable "absolute rest frame". The laws of physics would pick it out as special.

The lack of such a frame is a central concept in relativity.

Likes peety
peety said:
Is there a good definition of 'preferred frame'? Wikipedia refers to a frame where the laws are 'different/simpler' as if that isn't a problematic distinction.
Hmm, that is a question I had not considered. I don't know if there is a standard definition, but I would probably write it as something like a frame where some Lorentz violating term goes to 0.

Dale said:
I don't know if there is a standard definition

In the PPN formalism, "preferred frame" effects are those involving the ##\alpha_1##, ##\alpha_2##, and ##\alpha_3## coefficients, as described here:

http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2014-4/articlese3.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Dale
Thanks @PeterDonis those living reviews are always good.

@Ilja the best way to compare your theory to experiment would be to calculate the PPN parameters and the SME parameters for your theory. Then you could at least put constraints on your parameters.

Dale said:
There is no "replacement for experiment" in science.
That means, all the "beyond the standard model" physics is simply nonsense?

By the way, once my model gives the standard model of particle physics, instead of two or four generations and millions of other field theories one could invent, it has a much better correspondence to observation than, say, string theory, which predicts no particular property of the standard model.
Dale said:
No, it is a direct rebuttal to your claim. You claimed that it was impossible to get funding if your research involved a preferred frame, even if you don't use the word ether. And yet there is a body of funded research that tests such theories. They use words like Lorentz violating or CPT violating rather than ether, and are able to secure funding.
Whatever, I'm not a politician, who knows how to hide the true intentions to get money. I do not even want to learn how to do this. I'm happy enough that I'm able to secure my own survival myself, thus, do not have to care at all about getting a science job, thus, can research what I find promising.

So, let's clarify, I was unable to get any funding at the times in the past when I have tried, and given up. I cannot offer any grants myself, and I would have to warn everybody who wants to work in ether theory, in particular, developing my own theories, that this is extremely dangerous for him if he depends on getting some grant in some future.

If you think reasonable ether theoreticians would not have problems to find funding, fine. Yes, I have recognized that Jacobson continues to work and publish about his "Einstein aether". This may be reason to hope that the prejudice against the ether looses its strength with time. Actually this is not more than a little light at the end of the tunnel.

About no interest for the readers:
Dale said:
That is, in fact, a major objection. I always give my judgement of the level of interest for the readership of the journal. It is important feedback for both the editors and the author.
But if I care about the interest of the readers, what would be a better journal than Foundations of Physics? An interest in the foundations is something quite different from an interest in a high impact factor, which matters for mainstream research.

Dale said:
So you believe that you are smart enough to single-handedly revolutionize all of modern physics, but not smart enough to figure out a way to describe it without using the word "ether"?
No, not amoral enough to hide what is behind the theories, namely a revival of some quite old ideas about the ether. I have no problem to use equivalent descriptions - like "condensed matter interpretation" instead of "ether interpretation", but only as far as this does not damage the scientific content itself.

Then, of course, not to be stupid is necessary to start a scientific revolution. But it was even more important that I was not afraid of violating mainstream beliefs. So I was essentially alone in the whole field of research - making modern science compatible with the old ether - and without any competitors it was possible for me to collect all the things lying around there for free.

These two things are, imho, connected with each other. You need some own moral base to be able to work over many years in such an alternative direction, without any moral support from outside. So, if I would have been ready to distort the scientific content of my work to get published, I would have been unable to work many years on ether theory without any reasonable hope to get published.

peety said:
Is there a good definition of 'preferred frame'?
I doubt, but, fortunately, we don't really need one.

Because if the theory has a preferred frame, this is usually easy to see.

Dale said:
@Ilja the best way to compare your theory to experiment would be to calculate the PPN parameters and the SME parameters for your theory. Then you could at least put constraints on your parameters.
If there would be a large enough group of ether theoreticians, it would make sense for one of them to do this. But I'm alone, and have to care about my time. From this point of view, it is not promising enough. The additional parameters are essentially cosmological parameters, and I simply doubt that solar system type observations will have the ability to restrict them more than cosmology.

I'm actually working on the questions related with Hawking radiation and the trans-Planckian problem. The point will be criticism of the mainstream justification of Hawking radiation. The ether will be involved, but only as an example of a trans-Planckian regularization where we have no Hawking radiation.

This will not give anything in terms of real experiments, I know. But somehow there are already 28 papers of arxiv this year alone which mention Hawking radiation in title or abstract, thus, the mainstream does not care about this too.

Ilja said:
That means, all the "beyond the standard model" physics is simply nonsense?

No, it means it's speculative. Just as the Standard Model itself was speculative until experiments confirmed its predictions.

Work on speculative theories is part of science; however, past history shows that, without experimental input, it's very hard to make progress.

Likes vanhees71
I haven't really looked at the paper so I might be wrong. But it seems to me that you introduce two extra parameters (compare to GR) and the theory is formulated in a specific frame. This already seems unappealing. More free parameters and you have to work in the chosen frame or do the work and find the equations in a different frame. In other words more difficult to work with and more freedom to adjust. Can you show any specific computation for example the bending of light or Mercury's perihelion or anything else that leads to numbers that can be observed or measured at least in principle?