Generalized Eigenspace and JOrdan Form

In summary, to find the Jordan canonical form of a linear operator T, we must first find a basis for each generalized eigenspace of T consisting of a union of disjoint cycles of generalized eigenvectors. Then, using those basis vectors, we can construct the Jordan form J of T.
hitmeoff

Homework Statement

For each linear operator T, find a basis for each generalized eigenspace of T consisting of a union of disjoint cycles of generalized eigenvectors. The find a Jordan canonical form J of T.

a) T is the linear operator on P2(R) defined by T(f(x)) = 2f(x) - f '(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so I know the matrix rep of this transformation on the standard basis {1, x, x2}:
T(1) = 2
T(x) = -1 + 2x
T(x2) = -2x + 2x2

[tex][T]_{\beta}[/tex] =
2 -1 0
0 2 -2
0 0 2 and the eigenvalue of this matrix is [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 2 with a multiplicity of 3.

I know the JOrdan form will be :

2 1 0
0 2 1
0 0 2 , just not sure how to get the basis or how to get the J from the [T]

Physics news on Phys.org
Any eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 2 must satisfy
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}2 & -1 & 0 \\0 & 2 & -2 \\ 0 & 0 & 2\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]= \begin{bmatrix}2a- b & 2b- 2c & 2c\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix} 2x \\ 2y \\ 2z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

So we have 2a- b= 2a, 2b- 2c= 2b, and 2c= 2c. The first says that b= 0 and the second that c= 0. All eigenvectors are multiples of [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex].

The characteristic equation for this operator is [itex](\lambda- 2)^3= 0[/itex] and, since a matrix always satifies its own characteristic equation, we must have [itex](T- 2I)^3v= 0[/itex] for all vectors v. Of course if Tv= 2v, that is if v is an eigenvector, the (T- 2I)v= 0 so [itex](T- 2I)^3v= 0[/itex]. But the eigenvectors for this T only span a one-dimensional subspace.

We need to find v such that (T-I)v is not 0 but is in that eigen-space: then we would have [itex](T- I)^2((T-I)v)= (T-I)^2v= 0[/itex]- a "generalized eigenvector".

That is, we look for x, y, z such that
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 & -1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -2 \\ 0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}[/tex][tex]= \begin{bmatrix} -y \\ -2z \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex].

It is easy to see that
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ -1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
works.

But now we need a vector such that neither (T- 2I)v= 0 nor [itex](T- 2I)^2v= 0[/itex] but such that [itex](T- 2I)^3v= 0[/itex]. Now we need [itex](T- 2I)^2v[/itex] to be an eigenvector which will be the case if
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 & -1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -2 \\ 0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}[/tex][tex]= \begin{bmatrix}-y \\ -2z \\ 0\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ -1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

That gives
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ \frac{1}{2}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Those three vectors form the basis. If P is the matrix having those vectors as columns, then [itex]P^{-1}TP[/itex] will be in Jordan Normal Form.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Generalized Eigenspace and JOrdan Form

1. What is a generalized eigenspace?

A generalized eigenspace is a vector space associated with an eigenvalue of a matrix. It is defined as the set of all vectors that can be reached from the eigenvector by multiplying it with the matrix repeatedly.

2. How is a generalized eigenspace related to a Jordan block?

A Jordan block is a square matrix with a specific structure that corresponds to a single generalized eigenspace. The size of the Jordan block is equal to the dimension of the generalized eigenspace, and its diagonal entries are the eigenvalue associated with that eigenspace.

3. What is the significance of the Jordan form of a matrix?

The Jordan form of a matrix is a canonical form that reveals its structural properties and simplifies calculations. It also provides insight into the algebraic and geometric properties of the matrix, such as its eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

4. How can the Jordan form be computed?

The Jordan form of a matrix can be computed by finding its eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors. Then, using these eigenvectors, the matrix can be transformed into its Jordan form by applying a similarity transformation.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Jordan form and generalized eigenspace?

The Jordan form and generalized eigenspace have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used for solving differential equations, analyzing dynamic systems, and performing data compression and signal processing.