Finding Jordan canonical form of these matrices

In summary, the Jordan canonical form is a matrix representation that simplifies the structure of a matrix and reveals important information about its properties. The process for finding the Jordan canonical form involves finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors and transforming the matrix into a diagonal matrix with blocks of Jordan matrices. Not all matrices have a Jordan canonical form, as they require a complete set of eigenvectors. The Jordan canonical form is useful in solving systems of differential equations by simplifying them to decoupled equations. It also has various real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science.
bad throwaway name

Homework Statement

For each matrix A, I need to find a basis for each generalized eigenspace of ## L_A ## consisting of a union of disjoint cycles of generalized eigenvectors. Then I need to find the Jordan canonical form of A.
The matrices are:
## a)
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1\\
-1 & 3
\end{pmatrix}

b)
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 2\\
3 & 2
\end{pmatrix}

c)
\begin{pmatrix}
11 & -4 & -5\\
21 & -8 & -11\\
3 & -1 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

d)
\begin{pmatrix}
2 & 1 & & \\
& 2 & 1 & \\
& & 3 & \\
& 1 & -1 & 3
\end{pmatrix} ##

Homework Equations

## P_A(t)=det(A-tI) ##
## K_\lambda = \left \{ (A-\lambda I)^j \right \}, 1\leq j \leq p ## where p is the minimum value for which ## (A-\lambda I)^j(x)=0## for a generalized eigenvector x

The Attempt at a Solution

I hope you don't mind if I link to a picture of what I have so far, as I don't want to go through the trouble of typing it all up.
http://prntscr.com/am7si6
The squiggles next to some of the matrices are just messily written words indicating that there is only one generalized eigenvector for a given basis.

For (a), I determined that the only basis element was (1,1)
For (b), I found 2 single-element basis which contained (1,-1) and (1,1.5)
For (c), I once again found that each generalized eigenspace only had one generalized eigenvector. However, what I'm not sure of is how to determine what the Jordan blocks are in this case- i.e, I don't know how to determine if
## J=\begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 1 & \\
& -1 & \\
& & 2
\end{pmatrix} ## or
##J=\begin{pmatrix}
-1 & & \\
& 2 & 1\\
& & 2
\end{pmatrix}##
For (d), I have not yet started. I just need to confirm that my current approach of raising the power of the generalized matrices to find generalized eigenvectors is correct, and I need to know how to figure out what the Jordan blocks are.

Physics news on Phys.org
bad throwaway name said:

Homework Statement

For each matrix A, I need to find a basis for each generalized eigenspace of ## L_A ## consisting of a union of disjoint cycles of generalized eigenvectors. Then I need to find the Jordan canonical form of A.
The matrices are:
## a)
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1\\
-1 & 3
\end{pmatrix}

b)
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 2\\
3 & 2
\end{pmatrix}

c)
\begin{pmatrix}
11 & -4 & -5\\
21 & -8 & -11\\
3 & -1 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

d)
\begin{pmatrix}
2 & 1 & & \\
& 2 & 1 & \\
& & 3 & \\
& 1 & -1 & 3
\end{pmatrix} ##

Homework Equations

## P_A(t)=det(A-tI) ##
## K_\lambda = \left \{ (A-\lambda I)^j \right \}, 1\leq j \leq p ## where p is the minimum value for which ## (A-\lambda I)^j(x)=0## for a generalized eigenvector x

The Attempt at a Solution

I hope you don't mind if I link to a picture of what I have so far, as I don't want to go through the trouble of typing it all up.
http://prntscr.com/am7si6
The squiggles next to some of the matrices are just messily written words indicating that there is only one generalized eigenvector for a given basis.

For (b), I found 2 single-element basis which contained (1,-1) and (1,1.5)
For (c), I once again found that each generalized eigenspace only had one generalized eigenvector. However, what I'm not sure of is how to determine what the Jordan blocks are in this case- i.e, I don't know how to determine if
## J=\begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 1 & \\
& -1 & \\
& & 2
\end{pmatrix} ## or
##J=\begin{pmatrix}
-1 & & \\
& 2 & 1\\
& & 2
\end{pmatrix}##
For (d), I have not yet started. I just need to confirm that my current approach of raising the power of the generalized matrices to find generalized eigenvectors is correct, and I need to know how to figure out what the Jordan blocks are.

The eigenvalues for (c) are -1,2,2 so the eigenvalue 2 has multiplicity two but eigenspace dimensionality one. Therefore, the Jordan block is for 2.

Likes bad throwaway name
bad throwaway name said:
For (a), you have a 2x2 matrix, so the basis should comprise two vectors.

Likes bad throwaway name
vela said:
For (a), you have a 2x2 matrix, so the basis should comprise two vectors.
How do I find the other one? For the matrix U, I don't know how I would find another eigenvector for what it is, and U2 is the zero matrix. 2 was also the only eigenvalue I was able to find.

Ray Vickson said:
The eigenvalues for (c) are -1,2,2 so the eigenvalue 2 has multiplicity two but eigenspace dimensionality one. Therefore, the Jordan block is for 2.
Not on any of my assignments, but how would I do it for a matrix with multiple blocks but only one eigenvalue?

bad throwaway name said:
How do I find the other one? For the matrix U, I don't know how I would find another eigenvector for what it is, and U2 is the zero matrix. 2 was also the only eigenvalue I was able to find.
If ##\vec{p}_1## is the eigenvector, the generalized eigenvector satisfies ##(A-\lambda I)\vec{p}_2 = \vec{p}_1##. That'll give you a more useful equation to solve.

Likes bad throwaway name

1. What is the purpose of finding the Jordan canonical form of a matrix?

The Jordan canonical form is a matrix representation that simplifies the structure of a matrix and reveals important information about its properties. It is used to analyze systems of differential equations, study the behavior of linear transformations, and solve problems in areas such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the process for finding the Jordan canonical form of a matrix?

The process involves finding the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of the matrix. Then, using these eigenvectors, the matrix is transformed into a diagonal matrix with blocks of Jordan matrices along the diagonal. These Jordan matrices have a specific form that can be easily identified and organized into the final Jordan canonical form.

3. Can any matrix be transformed into its Jordan canonical form?

Not all matrices have a Jordan canonical form. In order for a matrix to have a Jordan canonical form, it must have a complete set of eigenvectors. If there are not enough linearly independent eigenvectors, the matrix cannot be transformed into its Jordan canonical form.

4. How is the Jordan canonical form useful in solving systems of differential equations?

The Jordan canonical form allows for the simplification of systems of differential equations by reducing them to a set of decoupled equations. This makes it easier to analyze and solve the system, as well as understand the behavior of the system over time.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Jordan canonical form?

Yes, the Jordan canonical form has many real-world applications. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. For example, in physics, it is used to study the behavior of quantum mechanical systems, while in engineering it is used to analyze the stability of control systems. It is also used in image and signal processing to compress and analyze data.