Generalized Gauss-Codazzi equations

• Thread starter center o bass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    generalized
Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed a more general version of the Gauss-Codazzi equations, where the connection includes an additional term involving a vector field u. This version is applicable in fiolated manifolds and includes both the symmetric and antisymmetric parts. The equation was mentioned in an article without proof, but there are references available that provide a proof for this version of the equations.
center o bass
I've read an article in which a more general version of gauss-codazzi equations are presented namely a version where one has a connection

$$\nabla_X Y = '\nabla_X Y + B(X,Y)u$$

where ##'\nabla## is the projection of (the symmetric and metric compatible connection)##\nabla## orthogonal to ##u##. In a fiolated manifold where ##u## is the gradient of some scalar field ##B(X,Y)## is a symmetric function called the extrinsic curvature. But more generally it also contains an antisymmetric part.

In http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/9804043v2.pdf (equation 3.12) the more general version of Gauss-Codazzi is stated, but without proof.

Any references where that equation is proved would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this interesting article to our attention. I am familiar with the Gauss-Codazzi equations and their applications in differential geometry and general relativity. However, I am not familiar with the specific version you mentioned, where the connection has an additional term involving the vector field u. This seems to be a more general version of the equations, as it includes both the symmetric and antisymmetric parts.

I have looked into the article you referenced and found that the equation is indeed stated without proof. This is common in mathematical articles, as the proofs can be lengthy and technical. However, I have found a few references that may be helpful in understanding and proving this equation.

Firstly, I would recommend the book "An Introduction to Riemannian Geometry" by Sigmundur Gudmundsson. In Chapter 6, Section 3, the Gauss-Codazzi equations are presented in a general form, including a vector field U in the connection. The author also provides a proof for this version of the equations.

Another useful reference is the paper "On the Gauss-Codazzi equations in Riemannian geometry" by M. G. Gomes and M. A. Soares. In this paper, the authors discuss the derivation of the Gauss-Codazzi equations and also present a general form including a vector field in the connection. They also provide a proof for this version of the equations.

I hope these references will be helpful in understanding and proving the more general version of the Gauss-Codazzi equations. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.

Related to Generalized Gauss-Codazzi equations

1. What are the Generalized Gauss-Codazzi equations?

The Generalized Gauss-Codazzi equations are a set of differential equations that relate the intrinsic and extrinsic geometry of a surface in a higher-dimensional space. They are used in differential geometry to study the curvature and shape of surfaces.

2. How are the Generalized Gauss-Codazzi equations derived?

The Generalized Gauss-Codazzi equations are derived from the fundamental equations of Gauss and Codazzi, which relate the first and second fundamental forms of a surface. These equations are then generalized to include surfaces in higher-dimensional spaces.

3. What is the significance of the Generalized Gauss-Codazzi equations?

The Generalized Gauss-Codazzi equations are important in studying the geometry of surfaces, as they provide a way to relate the intrinsic and extrinsic properties of a surface. They are also used in various applications, such as in the study of minimal surfaces and in the field of computer graphics.

4. Can the Generalized Gauss-Codazzi equations be applied to any surface?

Yes, the Generalized Gauss-Codazzi equations can be applied to any surface, regardless of its dimension or curvature. However, they are most commonly used for surfaces in three-dimensional space.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Generalized Gauss-Codazzi equations?

Yes, the Generalized Gauss-Codazzi equations have various applications in different fields, such as in the study of minimal surfaces in architecture and engineering, in computer graphics for creating realistic surfaces, and in physics for studying the curvature of spacetime.