Generate electrical energy from vibrating transformers

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using piezoelectric crystals to generate electrical energy from the vibrations of a high power transformer. There is a debate about whether this would be a feasible and efficient method, with one person suggesting that attaching piezoelectric devices to an already operating transformer could potentially produce some additional power. However, it is also mentioned that the cost of modifying a transformer in this way may not justify the amount of power produced.
Yves Maia Auad
Hey guys, how are you?

I just have an idea but can't figure it out how to solve it. Is it possible to generate electrical energy from a (high power) transformer vibration using piezoelectrics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Piezoelectic crystals etc, produce electricity by themselves although not very much.
I can't see how introducing a transformer could in some way increase the amount produced.

I mean attach a piezoelectric capsule in the transformer. As they vibrate from electromagnetic and magnetrostrictive forces, this can actually generate some extra electrical current on the piezo...Am I wrong?

Thanks for the reply!

It's possible to operate a piezoelectric in reverse so that applying a current to it will make the crystal change shape.
So yes you could use such a device to vibrate a magnet or a coil, and then use that vibration to produce a current.
All you are really doing there though is converting electrical input to mechanical energy, and converting that back into electrical energy.
Since the process can't be made 100% efficient there will be some energy lost, so you will end up needing to supply more power than you can get out.

English is not my mother tongue (I am brazilian)...probably there was a misunderstanding of what I really thought to do. Sorry mate!

I am not going to use the piezo to vibrate the transformer. My idea is try to convert that "already lost" mechanical energy from the transformer vibration to electrical energy using the piezo...

What i mean from transformer is the voltage transformer commonly used out there hehehehe (if you check a big one, you going to see that they vibrate as hell...its actually really annoying) :smile:

Attachments

• main-qimg-905ea776eead2bb17ead5eac3977d1c8.gif
    main-qimg-905ea776eead2bb17ead5eac3977d1c8.gif
    6 KB · Views: 579
Ah, I got it now.
You mean you could attach a lot of piezoelectric devices to an already operating high power transformer and gain some additional electrical power from that.
Yes I think you could do that in principle, though I doubt that the amount of power produced would be enough to justify the cost of modifying a transformer in that way.

Last edited:

1. How does a vibrating transformer generate electrical energy?

A vibrating transformer uses the principle of electromagnetic induction to generate electrical energy. When a magnet is moved back and forth within a coil of wire, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces an electric current in the wire. This current can then be harnessed as electrical energy.

2. What types of vibrations can be used to generate electrical energy with a transformer?

A vibrating transformer can be powered by a variety of vibrations, such as mechanical vibrations from a motor or engine, acoustic vibrations from sound waves, or even vibrations from natural sources like wind or ocean waves.

3. What are the advantages of using a vibrating transformer to generate electrical energy?

One of the main advantages of using a vibrating transformer is that it can convert mechanical or environmental energy into electrical energy, making it a versatile and renewable source of power. It is also compact and efficient, making it suitable for a variety of applications.

4. Are there any limitations to using a vibrating transformer for generating electrical energy?

One limitation of using a vibrating transformer is that it requires a constant source of vibration to maintain the production of electrical energy. This can make it less reliable in certain situations, such as when there are inconsistent vibrations or when the transformer is not properly maintained.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with using a vibrating transformer for electrical energy generation?

There are some potential risks associated with using a vibrating transformer, such as electrical hazards if the transformer is not properly insulated, or mechanical failures if the transformer is not designed to withstand the vibrations it is exposed to. It is important to follow safety guidelines and conduct regular maintenance to minimize these risks.