Generating Audio Signals from Lasers: Theoretical Possibilities?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a red laser to generate a high frequency audio signal (in the terahertz range) by pointing it at a ~175 nm antenna and amplifying the signal into a speaker. The question is raised about the nature of the light emitted from the laser and how it can create an oscillating AC signal for sound. The concept of EM radiation inducing a sound signal in both directions on the receiving antenna is also discussed. The role of photons and their energy and angular momentum in the process is debated, with the understanding that all photons in a laser have the same spin. The conversation ends with a request for further clarification and sources.
jaydnul
Say you have a red laser and pointed it at a ~175 nm antenna, then amplified the signal into a speaker. Would you then theoretically get a very high frequency audio signal (in the terahertz range, i realize this isn't practical)?

My question is really on the nature of the light emitted from the laser. My intuition would tell me the light would only cause an emf in ONE direction on the antenna, so how would you get an oscillating AC signal to create a sound. Is the EM radiation that can induce a sound signal arranged in a particular way that would give you emf in both directions on the receiving antenna?

Science news on Phys.org
jaydnul said:
Would you then theoretically get a very high frequency audio signal (in the terahertz range
What frequencies make up the typical audio range?

berkeman said:
What frequencies make up the typical audio range?

Ya I realize its way out of reasonable range. Let's make it 10 khz laser light.

Your nano antenna would convert the light EM wave to an electric signal just like a radio antenna. The laser light electric field alternates as with any real photon, so the EMF on the antenna will alternate the same way. Problem is this electrical signal would travel a very short distance in your "wire" so it's difficult to process in any way other than rectification, called detection in traditional radio.

jaydnul said:

you don't get 10kHz laser light, as in that isn't a freq of a laser, do you have any understanding of that ?

jaydnul said:
pointed it at a ~175 nm antenna,

and what is this antenna you refer to, do you have a reference ?

jaydnul said:
That would be the frequency of modulation of the light beam. Which type of modulation do you have in mind? AM would be the simplest to discuss, probably. Are you familiar with how rectification ("envelope detection") is used in an AM receiver? That is what @drummin is referring to in his post.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulation

jaydnul said:
Say you have a red laser and pointed it at a ~175 nm antenna, then amplified the signal into a speaker. Would you then theoretically get a very high frequency audio signal (in the terahertz range, i realize this isn't practical)?

My question is really on the nature of the light emitted from the laser. My intuition would tell me the light would only cause an emf in ONE direction on the antenna, so how would you get an oscillating AC signal to create a sound. Is the EM radiation that can induce a sound signal arranged in a particular way that would give you emf in both directions on the receiving antenna?

The light emitted from a laser is essentially a coherent and monochromatic signal. Hence, from an EM point of view there is no difference between this and the signal
generated by any AC signal source.

In fact, the experiment you are describing can sort-of be done (although you would of course not be able to generate sound). Very far infrared radiation is at about the frequency range when antennas become practical (THz) so when working this field you end up using a mixture of optical component (e.g. lenses) and elementsalso used at lower frequencies (log-periodic antennas). The problem is of course that signals at ~1THz range can only travel short distances on a chip so most of the time you can't really do much more than say get the average power out or use mixers to down-mix to a lower frequency (which is how radio astronomy at these frequencies are done).

Interesting.

So when a photon is created, the system that emitted it is conserving both energy (E=hf) and angular momentum (the photon's spin), is this correct?

Now let's say the antenna absorbs the photons emitted by the laser. Both the photon's energy and angular momentum must be conserved by the antenna. Now it seems like an actual EM wave would need to be made of photons arriving with alternating spins to induce both directions of angular momentum in the antenna. (i.e. some of the photons are conserving the angular momentum for the positive swing of the AC signal, the others are conserving momentum for the negative swing).

In a laser, all the photons have the same spin don't they?

jaydnul said:
Interesting.

So when a photon is created, the system that emitted it is conserving both energy (E=hf) and angular momentum (the photon's spin), is this correct?

Now let's say the antenna absorbs the photons emitted by the laser. Both the photon's energy and angular momentum must be conserved by the antenna. Now it seems like an actual EM wave would need to be made of photons arriving with alternating spins to induce both directions of angular momentum in the antenna. (i.e. some of the photons are conserving the angular momentum for the positive swing of the AC signal, the others are conserving momentum for the negative swing).

In a laser, all the photons have the same spin don't they?
Sorry, but this is gibberish. I realize that this is a B=Basic thread, but misinformation is still not a good thing.

Please start a Conversation with me (click on my avatar to start the conversation) to provide some of the links to what you have been reading. I'd prefer not to burn the next 10 posts in this thread trying to figure that part out.

Thread is temporarily closed for Moderation, wait one...

Last edited:

1. What is the concept behind generating audio signals from lasers?

The concept involves using lasers to modulate a continuous beam of light with audio signals, resulting in a fluctuation of the light intensity that can be converted into sound waves.

2. Is this technology currently being used for audio signal generation?

While there have been some experiments and demonstrations of this concept, it is not yet a widely used technology for audio signal generation. It is still in the theoretical and research stage.

3. What are the potential advantages of using lasers for audio signal generation?

One potential advantage is the ability to transmit audio signals over long distances without interference or degradation. Lasers also have a high bandwidth, allowing for a wider range of frequencies to be modulated and transmitted as sound.

4. Are there any limitations to generating audio signals with lasers?

One limitation is the need for precise alignment and stability of the laser beam, as any changes in intensity or direction can affect the accuracy of the audio signal. Additionally, lasers can only transmit audio in a straight line, so there are limitations on the direction and range of the sound transmission.

5. How could this technology potentially impact the audio industry?

If successfully developed and implemented, this technology could revolutionize the audio industry by allowing for high-quality, long-distance audio transmissions without the need for physical cables or wireless signals. It could also open up new possibilities for immersive audio experiences and virtual reality applications.