Generating functions, binomial coefficients

In summary: Anyway, the first few terms of your ##b_n##-recurrence read as$$\begin{array}{rcl}b_0 &=& a_0 \\b_1&=& -2 a_0 + a_1 \\b_2 &=& 3 a_0 - 2 a_1 + a_2 \\b_3 &=& -4 a_0 + 3 a_1 - 2 a_2 + a_3 \\\vdots & \vdots & \hspace{2ex}\vdots\end{array}$$Thus, we have$$B(z) = a_0 - 2 a
Sarina3003

Homework Statement

a) I have to find and expression for sequence of $b_n$ in terms of generating functions of the sequence of $a_n$

$$b_n = (-1)^{n}(n+1)a_0 +(-1)^{n-1}n a_1+...+(-1)2a_{n-1}+a_n$$ with $$a_n = a_{n-1} +8a_{n-2} -12a_{n-3} +25(-3)^{n-2} + 32n^2 -64$$

b) I have to use the result of a) to prove this identity

$${\beta \choose n} = \sum_{x = 0}^{n}(-1)^{x}(x+1) {\beta+2 \choose {n-x}}$$ with $\beta$ is a complex number

Homework Equations

[/B]
All necessary information are given above

3. The Attempt at a Solution
What I've already had is the GF of $a_n$ which is

$$\frac{120}{1-2z} + \frac{150}{(1-2z)^{2}} -\frac{125}{1+3z} + \frac{-3}{(1+3z)^{2}} + \frac{-83z^{2} + 202z -135}{(z-1)^{3}}$$

Please shed some lights. Any hints would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sarina3003 said:

Homework Statement

a) I have to find and expression for sequence of $b_n$ in terms of generating functions of the sequence of $a_n$

$$b_n = (-1)^{n}(n+1)a_0 +(-1)^{n-1}n a_1+...+(-1)2a_{n-1}+a_n$$ with $$a_n = a_{n-1} +8a_{n-2} -12a_{n-3} +25(-3)^{n-2} + 32n^2 -64$$

b) I have to use the result of a) to prove this identity

$${\beta \choose n} = \sum_{x = 0}^{n}(-1)^{x}(x+1) {\beta+2 \choose {n-x}}$$ with $\beta$ is a complex number

Homework Equations

[/B]
All necessary information are given above

3. The Attempt at a Solution
What I've already had is the GF of $a_n$ which is

$$\frac{120}{1-2z} + \frac{150}{(1-2z)^{2}} -\frac{125}{1+3z} + \frac{-3}{(1+3z)^{2}} + \frac{-83z^{2} + 202z -135}{(z-1)^{3}}$$

Please shed some lights. Any hints would be greatly appreciated

Please refrain from typing your material in a bold font.

Anyway, you need to specify some boundary conditions on the ##a_n##, such as values of ##a_0, a_1## and ##a_2##. If you give different boundary conditions you will get different sequences ##\{ a_n \}## and so different generating functions.

You need to figure out how to express the generating function ##B(z) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} b_ n z^n## of ##\{b_n \}## in terms of the generating function ##A(z) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n z^n## of ##\{ a_n \}##.

Ray Vickson said:
Please refrain from typing your material in a bold font.

Anyway, you need to specify some boundary conditions on the ##a_n##, such as values of ##a_0, a_1## and ##a_2##. If you give different boundary conditions you will get different sequences ##\{ a_n \}## and so different generating functions.

You need to figure out how to express the generating function ##B(z) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} b_ n z^n## of ##\{b_n \}## in terms of the generating function ##A(z) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n z^n## of ##\{ a_n \}##.

Thanks for that. Should i take the sums of both sides and see what happens? I’m not sure if it is ok since this is a sequence

Last edited:
Sarina3003 said:
Thanks for that. Yeah i know that, it is the question . But i don’t know how to start off since the recurrence relation they have for $b_n$ includes both terms $a_n$ and $b_n$

Were you given the generating function ##A(z)## as part of the problem statement? If so, you can expand it in powers of ##z## (or, at least find the first few terms) to actually obtain explicitly the values of ##a_0, a_1, a_2##. If you were not given the generating function ##A(a)## you must have known the values of ##a_0, a_1, a_2## when you computed it.

Anyway, the first few terms of your ##b_n##-recurrence read as
$$\begin{array}{rcl}
b_0 &=& a_0 \\
b_1&=& -2 a_0 + a_1 \\
b_2 &=& 3 a_0 - 2 a_1 + a_2 \\
b_3 &=& -4 a_0 + 3 a_1 - 2 a_2 + a_3 \\
\vdots & \vdots & \hspace{2ex}\vdots
\end{array}
$$
Thus, we have
$$B(z) = a_0 - 2 a_0 z + 3 a_0 z^2 + \cdots -2 a_1 z^2 + 3 a_1 z^3 + \cdots \\
+ a_2 z^2 - 2 a_2 z^3 + \cdots + a_3 z^3 - \cdots $$
Isolate the total coefficients of each ##a_i##, then sum up the results.

Likes Sarina3003
Ray Vickson said:
Were you given the generating function ##A(z)## as part of the problem statement? If so, you can expand it in powers of ##z## (or, at least find the first few terms) to actually obtain explicitly the values of ##a_0, a_1, a_2##. If you were not given the generating function ##A(a)## you must have known the values of ##a_0, a_1, a_2## when you computed it.

Anyway, the first few terms of your ##b_n##-recurrence read as
$$\begin{array}{rcl}
b_0 &=& a_0 \\
b_1&=& -2 a_0 + a_1 \\
b_2 &=& 3 a_0 - 2 a_1 + a_2 \\
b_3 &=& -4 a_0 + 3 a_1 - 2 a_2 + a_3 \\
\vdots & \vdots & \hspace{2ex}\vdots
\end{array}
$$
Thus, we have
$$B(z) = a_0 - 2 a_0 z + 3 a_0 z^2 + \cdots -2 a_1 z^2 + 3 a_1 z^3 + \cdots \\
+ a_2 z^2 - 2 a_2 z^3 + \cdots + a_3 z^3 - \cdots $$
Isolate the total coefficients of each ##a_i##, then sum up the results.
Thanks so much. Yes i know a1, a2 and a0 but i used it to get GF of an. But how is it helpful in this question?

Sarina3003 said:
Thanks so much. Yes i know a1, a2 and a0 but i used it to get GF of an. But how is it helpful in this question?

It might not be; it is just that your presentation of the question was incomplete, and I wanted to know if you realized that. If I want to check your GF myself, I would need that information.

Likes Sarina3003
Ray Vickson said:
It might not be; it is just that your presentation of the question was incomplete, and I wanted to know if you realized that. If I want to check your GF myself, I would need that information.

a0 =130, a1=215, a2=260, here they are. If you have some time, please also help me to check it whether i got it right or wrong, just by the way. Thank you :D

Ray Vickson said:
Also, do you have any idea for b). I got the answer for a) now, thanks to you, it looks little bit different from the identity in b) and so i guess i have to do a little bit of work to somehow use the answer from a) and arrive to the identity but since this is power series it is more little complicated to handle so i am still stuck at it :( Particularly, dealing with this bit $${\beta+2 \choose {n-x}}$$

Sarina3003 said:
a0 =130, a1=215, a2=260, here they are. If you have some time, please also help me to check it whether i got it right or wrong, just by the way. Thank you :D

You made an error somewhere. If we expand your given GF in powers of ##z## and look at the coefficients of ##z^0, z^1, z^2## we get ##a_0 = 277, a_1 = 1436## and ##a_2 = 1361.##

If I take your ##a_0 = 130, a_1 = 215, a_2 = 260## and substitute those into the recursion, then solve it-- or, rather, let the computer algebra system Maple solve it by finding the generating function-- I get a completely different GF from yours.

I don't think the PF rules will let me present the exact form of the GF.

However, even using the (incorrect) initial conditions ##a_0 = 277, a_1 = 1436## and ##a_2 = 1361## in your recursion, Maple still gets a completely different GF from yours, so that means that your GF would not lead to a correct solution of the recursion. Somewhere, the values of ##a_3, a_4, \ldots## obtained using the (incorrect) initial conditions in the recursion would be different from the values obtained by expanding out your GF in powers of ##z##.

Ray Vickson said:
You made an error somewhere. If we expand your given GF in powers of ##z## and look at the coefficients of ##z^0, z^1, z^2## we get ##a_0 = 277, a_1 = 1436## and ##a_2 = 1361.##

If I take your ##a_0 = 130, a_1 = 215, a_2 = 260## and substitute those into the recursion, then solve it-- or, rather, let the computer algebra system Maple solve it by finding the generating function-- I get a completely different GF from yours.

I don't think the PF rules will let me present the exact form of the GF.

However, even using the (incorrect) initial conditions ##a_0 = 277, a_1 = 1436## and ##a_2 = 1361## in your recursion, Maple still gets a completely different GF from yours, so that means that your GF would not lead to a correct solution of the recursion. Somewhere, the values of ##a_3, a_4, \ldots## obtained using the (incorrect) initial conditions in the recursion would be different from the values obtained by expanding out your GF in powers of ##z##.

Thanks for pointing out. I have used Mathematica and typed straight in a[n] and solve it with boundary conditions and it gave me the answer include exponential which i have not seen along the way finding its solution including particular solutions . Have you seen something like that in Maple?
And yeah i did have mistakes, i have checked it, and even when i corrected it it also does not give me any exponential term :(

Attachments

• FD04099A-344E-492A-AE99-AC09DD7A97CB.jpeg
    FD04099A-344E-492A-AE99-AC09DD7A97CB.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 388
Sarina3003 said:
Thanks for pointing out. I have used Mathematica and typed straight in a[n] and solve it with boundary conditions and it gave me the answer include exponential which i have not seen along the way finding its solution including particular solutions . Have you seen something like that in Maple?
And yeah i did have mistakes, i have checked it, and even when i corrected it it also does not give me any exponential term :(

I am attempting to attach a pdf image of my Maple worksheet; I don't know if it will work as intended.

Attachments

• PF_recursion_May2018_pdf.pdf
    98.6 KB · Views: 217
Sarina3003 said:

Oops: I see I had a wrong recursion; I wrote -64 instead of -64n on the right. I will do it again.

Attached is the new worksheet.

I forgot to simplify the result, but when I ask Maple to do that it gives
$$a_k =(-1)^k 3^k k+5(-1)^{k+1} 3^k+8k^2+60k+135.$$

This looks different from the Mathematica result, but I have checked it out in detail: it really does solve the recursion. (I got Maple to check this after making the pdf file, so that check is not included in the attachment.)

Attachments

• PF_recursion_May2018.pdf
    97.7 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Likes Sarina3003
Ray Vickson said:
Oops: I see I had a wrong recursion; I wrote -64 instead of -64n on the right. I will do it again.

Attached is the new worksheet.

I forgot to simplify the result, but when I ask Maple to do that it gives
$$a_k =(-1)^k 3^k k+5(-1)^{k+1} 3^k+8k^2+60k+135.$$

This looks different from the Mathematica result, but I have checked it out in detail: it really does solve the recursion. (I got Maple to check this after making the pdf file, so that check is not included in the attachment.)

Thank you. I have checked my calculation by hand and plug in a0,a1 and a2 and verify that it works now! Thanks for your sheets I have learned some codes in Maple as well and it would be useful when I encounter it in the near future. Thanks again :):)

Sarina3003 said:
Also, do you have any idea for b). I got the answer for a) now, thanks to you, it looks little bit different from the identity in b) and so i guess i have to do a little bit of work to somehow use the answer from a) and arrive to the identity but since this is power series it is more little complicated to handle so i am still stuck at it :( Particularly, dealing with this bit $${\beta+2 \choose {n-x}}$$

Presumably, you need to figure out how to get ##B(z) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} b_n z^n## before you can proceed further. I hinted at one way to do it in post #4, but another way is to note that the ##b_n## sequence is the convolution of the ##a_n## sequence and the sequence ##\{ c_n , n = 0,1,2, \ldots \} = \{ 1, -2, 3, -4, \ldots \}##. It is quite easy to get the GF ##C(z) = \sum c_n z^n## and you can then apply some standard properties of GF to get the answer.

What are generating functions?

Generating functions are mathematical tools used to represent a sequence of numbers in a compact and systematic way. They are typically expressed as a polynomial, and can be used to find closed-form expressions for a sequence or to perform calculations on the sequence.

What are binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients are the numerical coefficients that appear in a binomial expansion. They are used to calculate the number of ways that k objects can be chosen from a set of n objects. They are also used in various mathematical identities and formulas, such as the binomial theorem.

How are generating functions and binomial coefficients related?

Generating functions can be used to represent binomial coefficients in a compact and organized way. The coefficients can be expressed as the coefficients of the powers in the polynomial representation of the generating function. This relationship allows for efficient calculations and simplification of expressions involving binomial coefficients.

What are some applications of generating functions and binomial coefficients?

Generating functions and binomial coefficients have many applications in mathematics and other fields. They are commonly used in probability and statistics, combinatorics, and number theory. They can also be used to solve problems in physics, computer science, and economics.

What are some common techniques for working with generating functions and binomial coefficients?

Some common techniques for working with generating functions and binomial coefficients include using the binomial theorem, manipulating power series, and using generating functions to solve recurrence relations. Other techniques may include using generating functions to solve combinatorial problems and applying algebraic operations to simplify expressions involving binomial coefficients.