Generator Output: 20 Coils, 9 Turns, 120V to 12000V?

In summary, it would be very dangerous to attempt to create your own generator to produce greater than 1000 volts.
jeverez
Homework Statement
question is can a generator with a output of two poles at 120volt be increased to 12000volt by replacingb the 20 turn coils on stator with 200 turn coils?will this work?
Relevant Equations
volt at 20 per coil prepotinal if increased by percentage?
if 20 turns coils at 9 each produce 120volt will turning the 9 coil 200times increase voltage to 12000volt

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please post the stator coil turns ratio equations for us. On another note, can you confirm the output voltage? I read 12,000 Volts.

CalcNerd said:
Could you please post the stator coil turns ratio equations for us. On another note, can you confirm the output voltage? I read 12,000 Volts.
There are a total of 24 slots in coil, (this is a attempt to modify a generator i already have for a current project),of the 24 there are 2 groupings of coil slots full with 2 unused inbetween them, of each set 9 make up each half of primary coil with 20 wraps of 18#wire and at end of each set of 9 there is one slot that make up the dcexciter voltage, Overall goal is to have an output of 12000volt, current I am assuming would be limted to the wire size that would fit 200 wrap coils(replacing the 20wrap) the specs of generator is 115volt at 21.7amp,at 3600rpm i currently have housing stripped ready to rewind, i am also wondering if exciter voltage was increased slightly plus use of a reastate(damper) would that give a voltage trim or correction of output voltage? i am interested in getting finall output between 1-2.5kva at 12000volts

jeverez said:
Overall goal is to have an output of 12000volt,
Wait, is this a homework problem (paper exercise) or you really are trying to convert a generator to put out 12kV?

jeverez said:
Relevant Equations:: volt at 20 per coil prepotinal if increased by percentage?
I think you meant proportional.
jeverez said:
if 20 turns coils at 9 each produce 120volt will turning the 9 coil 200times increase voltage to 12000volt
Aside from the fact that you're doing something potentially very dangerous, you're off by a factor of 10 here. If you increase the number of turns by a factor of 10 (20 --> 200), the voltage will increase by the same factor; i.e., 120V --> 1200V, not 12,000V.

Your response seems to imply that you actually want to attempt to build such a device. You should NOT. Knowledgable electricians generally work with less than 1000 volts unless they specialize in distribuition voltages (which typically is 12 KV and higher). You would be hard pressed to actually create/wind your own coils as the voltages involved will break down any insulation on most any wire that you can obtain.

Power companies overcome the issue you just encountered by generating voltages at whatever voltage they can obtain on their 3 phase generators (typically 10s of thousands of volts on much larger coils than what you are attempting). Then the power company steps up this voltage with a transformer to 100s of thousands of volts.

Systems with a 277 - 1000 volts just wait for you to touch them to get electrocuted.
12,000 volts will reach out to ZAP you.

This seems like a good time to tie off the thread.

1. What does the number of coils and turns mean in a generator?

The number of coils and turns in a generator refers to the number of loops and rotations of wire in the coil. This affects the strength and efficiency of the electromagnetic field produced by the generator.

2. How does the number of coils and turns affect the output voltage of a generator?

The number of coils and turns in a generator directly impacts the output voltage. As the number of coils and turns increases, the output voltage also increases due to the increase in the strength of the electromagnetic field.

3. What is the significance of the 120V to 12000V output voltage range?

The output voltage range of 120V to 12000V is significant because it indicates the potential difference between the positive and negative terminals of the generator. This range is commonly used for powering household appliances and industrial equipment.

4. How does the output voltage of a generator affect its power output?

The output voltage of a generator directly affects its power output. A higher output voltage means a higher power output, as power is calculated by multiplying voltage by current. This is why generators with higher output voltages are used for larger and more power-intensive applications.

5. How does the design of a generator's coils and turns impact its efficiency?

The design of a generator's coils and turns plays a crucial role in its efficiency. A well-designed coil with the right number of turns can produce a stronger electromagnetic field, resulting in a more efficient conversion of mechanical energy into electrical energy. Additionally, the spacing and placement of the coils can also affect the generator's efficiency.