Generator Sizing: Calculate & Consider Prime/Standby Ratings

In summary, the speaker discusses load testing for generator sizing and the use of a power and energy logger. They explain that the generator should be sized according to kVA and the diesel engine producing active power should be sized according to kW. They also ask for guidance on calculating generator sizing and the parameters to consider. Finally, they inquire about the difference between prime rating and standby rating for sizing the generator.
Gopal
Good day,

I have been working on load testing for generator sizing of various premises and I used a power and energy logger to do the load testing.

The results came out good, now that I got max apparent power in kVA and the max true power in kW.

My question is how should I calculate the generator sizing and what parameters should I consider in the calculation as I have never done this before, please let me know your thoughts on it.

Also what is the difference between the prime rating and standby rating for sizing the generator.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Gopal said:
I got max apparent power in kVA and the max true power in kW.
My question is how should I calculate the generator sizing and what parameters should I consider in the calculation

The generator itself must be sized according to kVA. It is the absolute current in the generator that heats up the coils in the generator, and could harm the generator by doing so.

Say you have a diesel engine to produce the active power, it must be sized according to kW. The diesel engine cannot "sense" reactive power.

Gopal said:
Also what is the difference between the prime rating and standby rating for sizing the generator.

https://www.google.dk/search?q=prim...&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=d4pUVdCRIMfO7ga79oCQBw

Related to Generator Sizing: Calculate & Consider Prime/Standby Ratings

1. What is generator sizing?

Generator sizing is the process of determining the appropriate size or capacity of a generator needed to meet the power requirements of a specific application. It involves calculating the electrical load, considering factors such as peak demand and power quality, and selecting a generator with a suitable prime and standby rating.

2. How do you calculate generator size?

To calculate generator size, you need to determine the total electrical load that the generator will need to support. This includes all the appliances, equipment, and systems that will be powered by the generator. You will also need to consider any factors that may affect the load, such as peak demand and power quality issues. Once you have all this information, you can use a generator sizing calculator or consult a professional to determine the appropriate generator size.

3. What is the difference between prime and standby ratings for generators?

Prime and standby ratings refer to the maximum power output that a generator can provide. A prime-rated generator is designed for continuous use and can provide its maximum power output for an extended period of time. A standby-rated generator, on the other hand, is intended for backup or emergency use and can only sustain its maximum power output for a limited time.

4. Why is it important to consider prime and standby ratings when sizing a generator?

It is important to consider prime and standby ratings when sizing a generator because it ensures that the generator can meet the power requirements of the application without being overloaded. If a generator is undersized, it may not be able to handle the load and could potentially fail. On the other hand, if a generator is oversized, it may be more expensive and less efficient to operate.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when sizing a generator?

Yes, there are other factors to consider when sizing a generator, such as the type of fuel it uses, its noise level, and its portability. You may also need to consider the location and environment where the generator will be used, as well as any local regulations or codes that may impact the size and installation of the generator.