Transformer load reading calculation

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the percentage current loading on a 500KVA transformer with parameters such as primary and secondary voltage, power factor, and current in different phases. The person is looking for confirmation on their calculation, which determines the transformer's percentage loading to be 34.39%. The expert also provides an alternative calculation method, which results in a total kVA of 223.8.
ope0409
I need help to get the percentage current loading on this transformer with the following parameters
transformer size is 500KVA
Primary voltage is 11KV
Secondary voltage is 415v
power factor is 0.8
current in Red phase is 315A
Current in yellow phase is 302A
Current in blue phase is 317A
Neutral current is 23A

Please, what is the percentage loading of this transformer, i want to be sure my calculation is right

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Please show us your calculation first. Also, is this for schoolwork?

it is not for school work but office work
for a 500KVA transformer, the full amperage load will be 695.62A (from I =(KVA *1000)/sq3 *V )
hence I have 315A + 302A + 317A + 23A =957A
average of the total amperage = 957/4 =239.25A
percentage loading = 239.25/695.62 * 100 =34.39%
i want to know if my calculation is correct

The load total kVA it is the sum of each load per phase. The total kVA=415/sqrt(3)*[315+302+317]=223.8 kVA

Babadag said:
The load total kVA it is the sum of each load per phase. The total kVA=415/sqrt(3)*[315+302+317]=223.8 kVA
thanks

1. What is a transformer load reading calculation?

A transformer load reading calculation is a method used to determine the amount of power being used by a transformer. It involves measuring the voltage and current on both the primary and secondary sides of the transformer and using this information to calculate the load in watts.

2. Why is it important to calculate transformer load readings?

Calculating transformer load readings is important because it allows us to monitor the amount of power being used by the transformer and ensure that it is operating within its rated capacity. This helps to prevent overloading and potential damage to the transformer.

3. What factors can affect transformer load readings?

There are several factors that can affect transformer load readings, including the type and size of the transformer, the quality of the power source, and the amount of power being drawn by the connected load. Temperature, humidity, and other environmental conditions can also impact load readings.

4. How do you calculate transformer load readings?

To calculate transformer load readings, you will need to measure the voltage and current on both the primary and secondary sides of the transformer. Then, use the formula P = VI to calculate the power in watts. The load reading will be the power on the secondary side divided by the power on the primary side, multiplied by 100 to get a percentage.

5. What are some common mistakes when calculating transformer load readings?

Some common mistakes when calculating transformer load readings include using incorrect units, not taking into account the power factor, and not considering the transformer's efficiency. It is also important to ensure that the measurements are taken at the same time and under similar conditions to get an accurate reading.