Generators of infinitesimal transforms from Goldstein (1965)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of infinitesimal transformations and generators in canonical transformations, specifically in the context of Goldstein's work on infinitesimal transformations. It is mentioned that any function of phase space variables can generate a transformation, even if it does not commute with the Hamiltonian. The question of how to find all the generators is raised, and it is suggested to look for translation and rotation symmetries, as well as using Noether's theorem. An example of a free spinning particle is given, where the Hamiltonian is found using momenta and anti-commuting variables, and infinitesimal transforms are used to find δx, δp, δθ, and δπ. The speaker admits to not fully understanding the physics behind
HeavyWater
This is a two part question. I will write out the second part tomorrow.

I will be referring to pages 258-263 in Goldstein (1965) about infinitesimal transformations.
Eqn 8-66 specifies that δu=ε[u,G], where u is a scalar function and G is the generator of the transform. How do I find the Generators and how do I know when I have found all the generators? I know that the generators commute with the Hamiltonian BUT there may be several variables that commute with H. For example, (see 8-68), if q1and q2 are cyclic then I know that the momenta p1 and p2 are the generators. But the H may be cyclic in other variables that are not so obvious and how would I identify the generators in these cases?

Physics news on Phys.org
As you are talking about canonical transformations, any function (of phase space variables p and q) generates a transformation, even ones which do not commute under the Poisson bracket with the Hamiltonian. Those that do commute with the Hamiltonian will generate symmetry transformations.

As to how you find all the symmetries of the Hamiltonian, that is the million dollar question and of course depends on the the form of the Hamiltonian. You can glean hints from the application, i.e. look for the usual suspects, translation symmetries (generated by the momenta), rotation symmetries, generated by anti-symmetric products of momenta and coordinates, etc. Noether's theorem will also apply so that the conserved quantity associated with a symmetry will generate that symmetry when expressed as a function on phase space. (Example angular momentum about z-axis).

For linear transformations on coordinate space (acting dualy on momentum space) your generators will be products of coordinates and momenta.
The matrix element mapping [itex]q_1[/itex] to [itex]q_2[/itex] will correspond to the generating function [itex]G(p,q)=q_2 p_1[/itex].

Thank you jambaugh for an OUTSTANDING ANSWER! I need to think about your response and especially about Noether's Theorem (something I hear about but have never sat down and really concentrated on it). I will come back with a follow up question about those pesky infinitesimal transforms on Monday.

...continuing with my question...and thank you for your help so far. I don't feel like I am understanding the use of the infinitesimal transformations and the Poisson Brackets as described by Goldstein (1965), p260,261. Here is an example; I am leveraging the work of Galvao and Teitelboim, Feb 1,1980, J. Math Phys. 21(7).

A simple Lagrangian for a free spinning particle (pseudo classical mechanics) is L=½mv*v + ½(i theta-dot)(theta). Where the thetas are a function of time and are real anti commuting variables. We find the momentum, p from Lagrange equations and π from a generalization of Lagrange equations. Since we have a free particle, the Hamiltonian is H= (p*p)/2m +(π*π)/2 and we can find δx, δp, δθ, and δπ, where we use p as the generator for the first two and π as the generator for the last two.

I am missing the physics--I don't appreciate (or understand) what these infinitesimal transforms are telling me. Feel free to ramble...

HeavyWater said:
...continuing with my question...and thank you for your help so far. I don't feel like I am understanding the use of the infinitesimal transformations and the Poisson Brackets as described by Goldstein (1965), p260,261. Here is an example; I am leveraging the work of Galvao and Teitelboim, Feb 1,1980, J. Math Phys. 21(7).

A simple Lagrangian for a free spinning particle (pseudo classical mechanics) is L=½mv*v + ½(i theta-dot)(theta). Where the thetas are a function of time and are real anti commuting variables. We find the momentum, p from Lagrange equations and π from a generalization of Lagrange equations. Since we have a free particle, the Hamiltonian is H= (p*p)/2m +(π*π)/2 and we can find δx, δp, δθ, and δπ, where we use p as the generator for the first two and π as the generator for the last two.

I am missing the physics--I don't appreciate (or understand) what these infinitesimal transforms are telling me. Feel free to ramble...

1. What are generators of infinitesimal transforms?

The generators of infinitesimal transforms refer to the mathematical operators that can generate small, continuous changes in a physical system. In the context of Goldstein's (1965) work, these transforms are used to study the motion of particles in classical mechanics.

2. How are generators of infinitesimal transforms related to symmetries?

Generators of infinitesimal transforms are closely related to symmetries in a physical system. In fact, every symmetry in a system is associated with a unique generator of infinitesimal transforms. This relationship allows for the use of symmetry principles to study the behavior of physical systems.

3. What is the significance of Goldstein's (1965) work on generators of infinitesimal transforms?

Goldstein's work on generators of infinitesimal transforms was a significant contribution to the field of classical mechanics. It provided a mathematical framework for understanding the motion of particles in physical systems and laid the foundation for further developments in the field.

4. How are generators of infinitesimal transforms used in practical applications?

Generators of infinitesimal transforms have a wide range of practical applications in physics and engineering. They are used to study the behavior of physical systems, such as the motion of celestial bodies, the flow of fluids, and the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also used in the development of control systems for various applications.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of generators of infinitesimal transforms?

While generators of infinitesimal transforms are a powerful tool for studying physical systems, they do have limitations. They are most effective in studying systems that exhibit symmetries, and may not be as useful for complex, non-symmetric systems. In addition, they are based on classical mechanics and may not accurately describe the behavior of systems at the quantum level.