Infinitesimal transformations and Poisson brackets

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between bracket operations and symmetry in the context of quantum field theory. An example is provided using a particle moving on a circle with a generic potential, and the Poisson bracket with the Hamiltonian is used to calculate infinitesimal transformations in time. The conversation then explores how to perform infinitesimal transformations on the radius and angle coordinates, with an emphasis on the distinction between local changes and global translations. The formula for infinitesimal transformations is also mentioned.
JonnyMaddox
Hello, I want to understand how bracket operations in general are related to symmetry and infinitesimal transformations (in hindsight of quantumfieldtheory), so I calculated an example with a particle that is moving on a circle with a generic potential.
(I used simple polar coordinates in two dimensions)

[itex]H(r,p_{r})= \frac{p^{2}_{r}}{2m}+V(r)[/itex]
[itex]H(\phi, p_{\phi})=\frac{p^{2}_{\phi}}{2mr^{2}}+V(\phi)[/itex]

Now I know that if you take the Poisson bracket with the Hamiltonian you just get the infinitesimal transformation in time right? So
[itex]\{r,H(r,p_{r})\}= \frac{p_{r}}{m}[/itex]
[itex]\{\phi,H(\phi,p_{\phi})\}= \frac{p_{\phi}}{mr^{2}}[/itex]

But what if I want to do an infinitesimal transformation of the [itex]r[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] coordinates? I know that the generator of translations is just the momentum, and that the generator of rotations is angular momentum. How would I do that with the Poisson bracket in this case? And for example when I do an infinitesimal transformation with the radius [itex]r[/itex], what does that mean? Is it that the radius is infinitesimally transformed, or is it more like a global translation where the whole system is somehow translated? Similarly with the angle [itex]\phi[/itex], is it that the angle is locally changed, or is it that the "whole" system is rotated?

Physics news on Phys.org
JonnyMaddox said:
Now I know that if you take the Poisson bracket with the Hamiltonian you just get the infinitesimal transformation in time right? So
Are you referring to this formula
$$\frac{df}{dt} = \{f, H\} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} $$
As for infinitesimal transformation, it is just the radius ##r## changes. For example, we may have a infinitesimal canonical transformation
$$Q = q + \alpha G(q,P)$$
where ##\alpha## is infinitesimally small and ##G## is the generator.

1. What are infinitesimal transformations?

Infinitesimal transformations refer to small changes in the coordinates or variables of a system. They are usually represented by a parameter that is very small, often denoted as ε or δ. These transformations allow us to analyze the behavior of a system under small changes, which can be useful in understanding the overall behavior of the system.

2. What is the significance of infinitesimal transformations in physics?

Infinitesimal transformations are important in physics because they allow us to study the behavior of a system at a local level. By analyzing small changes, we can gain insights into the overall behavior of the system. Infinitesimal transformations are also used in various physical theories, such as calculus of variations and Hamiltonian mechanics.

3. How are infinitesimal transformations related to Poisson brackets?

Poisson brackets are a mathematical tool used to analyze the behavior of dynamical systems. They involve infinitesimal transformations of the coordinates or variables of the system. In simple terms, Poisson brackets tell us how two quantities of a system change with respect to each other. They are used to study the dynamics of systems in classical mechanics and quantum mechanics.

4. Can you explain the concept of a Poisson bracket?

A Poisson bracket is a mathematical operation used to find the change in a physical quantity with respect to another physical quantity. It is denoted by {A, B} and is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of A and B with respect to the coordinates or variables of the system and then multiplying them. Poisson brackets are used to study the symmetries and conservation laws of a system.

5. How are infinitesimal transformations and Poisson brackets used in Hamiltonian mechanics?

In Hamiltonian mechanics, infinitesimal transformations and Poisson brackets are used to study the behavior of a system over time. The Hamiltonian equations of motion, which describe the dynamics of a system, involve both infinitesimal transformations and Poisson brackets. These concepts help us understand the symmetries and conservation laws of a system and can be used to solve equations of motion and determine the evolution of a system over time.