Genetics: Uncovering the Genotype of Black Mouse with Tan Parent

• Thread starter Dooga Blackrazor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genetics
In summary, the gene C is responsible for producing pigment in mice, while the recessive gene c causes albinism. The gene B, found on a different chromosome, interacts with the pigment produced by C and results in a black coat color. The recessive gene b leads to incomplete breakdown of the pigment and a tan coat color. The genes for black or tan coat color are dependent on the gene C, but are independent of it. The mating of a tan mouse and a black mouse can result in various offspring, including albino mice. The genotype of the black mouse is CcBb, as determined by the given genotype of the tan mouse (Ccbb) and the need for the black mouse to have at least one B
Dooga Blackrazor
In mice, the gene C causes pigment to be produced, while the recessive gene c makes it impossible to produce pigment (albino). Another gene, B, on a different chromosome, causes a chemical reaction with the pigment and produces a black coat colour. The recessive gene, b, causes an incomplete breakdown of the pigment, and a tan colour results. The genes that produce black or tan coat colour rely on the gene C, which produces pigment, but are independent of it.

The mating of a tan mouse and a black mouse produces many different offspring. One of the offspring is albino.

The tan mouse is Ccbb
How do you know the genotype of the black mouse?

I know it's CcB? but I don't know how the ? allele is found.

CcBB will produce CB, CB, cB, CB gametes and and can cross to give albino offspring that are ccBc and albino.

CcBb can give offspring that are albino as ccbb.

My textbook says the black mouse is CcBb since an allele must be taken from both parents. That isn't any justification for why that's the answer is it?

Biology news on Phys.org
If the tan mouse is Ccbb, then the cross must be Ccbb x CcB-.
The genotype of the tan mouse is a given, and we know that the genotype of a black mouse must be C-B-. Since the tan mouse is Ccbb, the only possible genotype for the black mouse is CcB- in order to have albino (cc--) progeny. I don't know what the genotype for the albino mouse is supposed to be, but from the information you give it's cc--, so the problem really ends at Ccbb x CcB-. Assuming that the albino genotype is ccbb, then the cross must be Ccbb x CcBb.

That's what I thought, but the albino genotype can also be ccBb or ccBB. The answer might be to use a test cross but that isn't what the book is saying.

For those wondering: I discerned that the mystery allele must be "b" because it said many different offspring resulted. Since there are 3 possible offsprings and 2 isn't usually considered many, I assumed it wanted a genotype combination which would result in all 3 offspring being possible.

kalladin has properly deduced how you determine that the black mouse has the genotype Cc for the allele associated with albinism.

I think you're right that the answer depends on the word "many" since a black mouse with the genotype CcBB crossed with a tan mouse of genotype Ccbb would only produce black and albino offspring. Without the use of the word "many," you would have no way to determine the genotype of the Black mouse for the B gene, other than that one allele must be B and the other could be B or b.

1. What is genetics and why is it important?

Genetics is the study of heredity and how traits are passed down from parents to offspring. It is important because it helps us understand how and why certain traits, including physical characteristics, diseases, and behaviors, are inherited and how they can be passed on to future generations.

2. How is the genotype of a black mouse with tan parents determined?

The genotype of a black mouse with tan parents is determined through a process called genetic testing. This involves analyzing the DNA of the mouse to identify the specific genes that determine its coat color. By comparing the DNA of the mouse to that of its parents, scientists can determine which genes were inherited and how they contribute to the mouse's phenotype (observable traits).

3. Are there any other factors besides genetics that can influence the coat color of a mouse?

While genetics play a major role in determining the coat color of a mouse, there are other factors that can also influence it. These include environmental factors such as diet, exposure to sunlight, and temperature, as well as epigenetic factors that can alter the expression of genes. Additionally, certain diseases and medications can also affect coat color.

4. Can a black mouse with tan parents produce offspring with a different coat color?

Yes, a black mouse with tan parents can produce offspring with a different coat color. This is because the genes responsible for coat color can come from different combinations of the parents' genes. For example, if both parents carry a gene for a different coat color, their offspring may inherit one of these genes and display a different coat color than their parents.

5. How can studying the genotype of a black mouse with tan parents help us understand human genetics?

Studying the genotype of a black mouse with tan parents can help us understand human genetics in several ways. First, mice share many genes with humans, so studying them can provide valuable insights into how certain traits are inherited. Additionally, by studying the genetic mechanisms behind coat color in mice, we can better understand the genetic basis of other traits in humans, including diseases and physical characteristics. This can ultimately lead to advancements in medical treatments and genetic counseling.