Geo Coronal Absorption Frequency

In summary, recent scientific articles have been more focused on factoring out geo coronal absorption in order to obtain a more accurate profile of solar Lyman Alpha emission. However, the value of the geo coronal absorption frequency is still considered important and should be measured accurately. The most recent solar Lyman Alpha profile from 1978 by Artzner does not specify a wavelength for the central geo-coronal absorption minimum, and it appears that there is limited data on this measurement. The only studies on solar Lyman Alpha emission seem to be from specially adapted equipment, and there is debate about what constitutes geo-coronal absorption. The speaker is hoping to find a more recent and accurate value for this measurement.
From this article on the monitoring of the solar Lyman Alpha emission line, a diagram (attached below) shows the 'mother of all absorption wavelength measurements': namely the geo coronal absorption of solar Lyman Alpha radiation at 1215.664 A or 121.5664 nm.

Is this still the most accurate measure of geo coronal absorption of solar Lyman Alpha ?

More recent related scientific articles are more concerned with trying to 'factor out' geo coronal absorption so they can see the 'true' profile of solar Lyman Alpha emission. So they don't pay much attention to the geo coronal absorption frequency itself. And yet I would say it is a very important frequency reference which should be measured as accurately as possible. It's value appears to be a tad lower than 121.56701 nm (NIST) which seems to result from a terrestrial emission (rather than absorption) measurement.

A more recent (1978) solar Lyman Alpha profile is this one from Artzner. But for some reason he does not specifically state a wavelength for the central geo-coronal absorption mininum. So the only data I am able to find on that is from the above 1969 article whence the graphic below originates.

Lyman Alpha profile.png

Astronomy news on Phys.org
neilparker62 said:
Is this still the most accurate measure of geo coronal absorption of solar Lyman Alpha ?

That article looks like its from 1969, so I seriously doubt it. Try searching arxiv.org and see if you can find any recent papers.

Drakkith said:
That article looks like its from 1969, so I seriously doubt it. Try searching arxiv.org and see if you can find any recent papers.

Believe me I have dredged the Internet looking for relevant data and really it's all very sketchy. As far as solar Lyman Alpha emission/absorption is concerned I cannot find anything better than Artzner's 1978 article on the solar Lyman Alpha profile linked above. Post OSO-8 , the only studies in solar uv seem to be from specially adapted Sumer measurements. The Sumer spacecraft (it would seem) was not designed for Lyman Alpha monitoring and therefore any Lyman Alpha studies (that I can find anyway) seem to have required special modifications to the measuring equipment. Also it's at a La Grange point outside the geo-corona so doesn't measure geo coronal absorption. Albeit there being some debate about exactly what constitutes geo-coronal absorption - some of the absorption is apparently by colder layers of hydrogen in the solar vicinity.

I'm hoping to find a more recent and more accurate value for what should be a fairly exact absorption frequency measurement. I have estimated 1215.66592 A from Artzner's profile but I don't know whether the assumptions I've made about his scale are correct.

neilparker62 said:
I'm hoping to find a more recent and more accurate value for what should be a fairly exact absorption frequency measurement. I have estimated 1215.66592 A from Artzner's profile but I don't know whether the assumptions I've made about his scale are correct.

- that should read absorption wavelength measurement

What is Geo Coronal Absorption Frequency?

Geo Coronal Absorption Frequency (GCAF) is a measure of the amount of energy that is absorbed by the Earth's ionosphere from the solar wind. It is a key factor in understanding the impact of solar activity on our planet's atmosphere.

How is GCAF measured?

GCAF is typically measured using radio signals transmitted from ground-based stations. These signals pass through the ionosphere and are affected by the absorption of energy from the solar wind. By analyzing the changes in these signals, scientists can determine the level of GCAF at different times and locations.

What factors affect GCAF?

The level of GCAF is primarily influenced by the strength and intensity of the solar wind, as well as the Earth's own magnetic field. Other factors, such as the composition and density of the ionosphere, can also play a role in determining GCAF levels.

Why is GCAF important?

GCAF is important because it helps us understand the effects of solar activity on our planet's atmosphere. It can also provide valuable information for things like space weather forecasting, as well as for studying the Earth's magnetic field and the dynamics of the ionosphere.

How does GCAF impact Earth?

GCAF can have various effects on Earth, such as disrupting communication and navigation systems, causing auroras, and potentially damaging satellites and other spacecraft. Understanding and monitoring GCAF levels can help us prepare for and mitigate these impacts.