Geodesic quation coordinate time

In summary: However, you might be able to get a similar result by setting α to the first component and solving for dt/d \tau ; though this will require more details about the physical system.
Svendsen
Hi guys

So I am having trouble reparameterizing the geodesic equation in terms of coordinate time.
Normally you have:

[tex] \frac{d^2 x^{\alpha}}{d \tau^2} + \Gamma_{nm}^{\alpha} \frac{d x^{n}}{d \tau}\frac{d x^{m}}{d \tau} = 0 [/tex]

Where [itex] \tau [/itex] is the proper time. I class we were told to express the above in terms of coordinate time and so i reasoned that one would use the chain rule:

[tex] \frac{d }{d \tau} = \frac{d t}{d \tau} \frac{d }{d t} [/tex]

When i do so i get the following:

[tex] \frac{d^2 x^{\alpha}}{d t^2} + \Gamma_{nm}^{\alpha} \frac{d x^{n}}{d t}\frac{d x^{m}}{d t} = - \frac{d^2t/d \tau^2}{dt/d\tau} \frac{d x^{\alpha}}{dt} [/tex]

Which - i guess - has the form that one would expect because t is non-affine.

However i don't know how to proceed from here. I´ve tried to use [itex] d\tau ^2 = g_{nm}dx^ndx^m [/itex] to find [itex]dt/d \tau [/itex], but i can´t seem to get anything meaningful.

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
I did something related to this once upon a time, but it's been a while. Are you looking to find the form of the geodesic equations given that you have ##x^1##, ##x^2##, ##x^3## as functions of t? If so I might try to reconstruct what I did if you haven't already figured it out by the time I get to it., As I recall it was a matter of using the chain rule, plus some algebra involving the geodesic equation for ##x^0## (which is another name for "t") in it's original form as a function of ##\tau##, i.e. the standard geodesic equation for ##x^0(\tau)## or ##t(\tau)##.

You cannot simplify it any further but you can express it in terms of meaningful quantities: ##\frac{dt}{d\tau} = u^0 = \gamma## where ##\gamma## is the "time dilation factor" of the particle in the coordinate system that it is moving through. In stationary space-times, that is those with a time-like Killing field, you can also express ##\frac{dt}{d\tau}## in terms of the conserved energy per unit mass ##e##. For example in Schwarzschild space-time we have ##e = (1 - \frac{2M}{r})\frac{dt}{d\tau}##. Furthermore you can use the geodesic equation for ##\alpha = t## to get rid of ##\frac{d^2 t}{d\tau^2}##.

Last edited:
Likes Svendsen
What did you mean by meaningful? This is the expression for geodesic parametrized by non-affine parameter and any actual physical manifestation might require information on the physical system. If you mean to eliminate the τ derivatives; then I think it is possible to set α to 0th component.

In case you have never done so, physical interpretations usually rely on the Newtonian weak field limit, where the τ derivatives are eliminated by the original geodesic equation under that limit (again by setting α to 0 and making suitable assumptions about the Christoffel connection coefficients).

Hi there,

It seems like you are on the right track with reparameterizing the geodesic equation in terms of coordinate time. One thing to keep in mind is that the proper time, \tau, is related to the coordinate time, t, by the equation:

d\tau = \sqrt{g_{nm}dx^ndx^m} \, dt

So in order to find dt/d\tau, you can simply take the inverse of this equation:

\frac{dt}{d\tau} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{g_{nm}dx^ndx^m}}

Once you have this, you can substitute it into your original equation and simplify to get the geodesic equation in terms of coordinate time. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Geodesic quation coordinate time

What is the geodesic equation coordinate time?

The geodesic equation coordinate time is a mathematical concept used in the study of general relativity. It represents the path followed by a particle in a curved spacetime, taking into account the effects of gravity. This equation is used to calculate the trajectory of a particle, as well as the time it takes to travel along that path.

How is the geodesic equation coordinate time related to general relativity?

The geodesic equation coordinate time is a fundamental concept in general relativity. It is used to describe the motion of particles in curved spacetime, which is a central concept in Einstein's theory of gravity. The geodesic equation allows us to calculate the trajectory of a particle based on the curvature of spacetime, which is determined by the distribution of matter and energy.

What is the significance of the geodesic equation coordinate time?

The geodesic equation coordinate time is significant because it allows us to understand the effects of gravity on the motion of objects in the universe. By using this equation, we can make predictions about the behavior of particles in curved spacetime, and test the predictions against observations and experiments. The geodesic equation is also crucial in the development of technologies such as GPS, which rely on precise measurements of time and space.

How is the geodesic equation coordinate time derived?

The geodesic equation coordinate time is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a particle in spacetime is the one that minimizes the action (a measure of energy) along that path. By applying this principle to a curved spacetime, we can derive the geodesic equation, which describes the path that a particle will follow in that spacetime.

What are some applications of the geodesic equation coordinate time?

The geodesic equation coordinate time has many practical applications in fields such as astronomy, astrophysics, and engineering. It is used to calculate the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies in the universe. It is also essential in the study of black holes and other extreme objects, as well as in the design and operation of satellites and spacecraft. Additionally, the geodesic equation is used in the development of models and simulations of the universe to better understand its evolution and structure.