Geometric progression ball drop problem

In summary, a ball dropped from a height of 24m and rebounding to a height of 16m, with each rebound being two-thirds of the previous height, results in a total distance traveled of 120m. The procedure for finding this distance involves adding two infinite geometric series with a common ratio of 2/3, and the total distance can be found by dividing the sum of the initial heights (24m and 16m) by (1 - 2/3).
jackscholar

Homework Statement

A ball is dropped from a height of 24m and rebounds to a height of 16m. If each time it rebound two-thirds of the previous height, find the total distance traveled by the ball.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this might be a problem approaching infinity even though the ball cannot bounce infinitely. So i used the equation a/1-r where r was two-thirds and a was 24. That didn't work; however, when I added 24 and 16 then divided it by 1-r i got the correct answer, 120m. Was this a correct procedure? if not could you explain which procedure should be used in this case.

Physics news on Phys.org
jackscholar said:

Homework Statement

A ball is dropped from a height of 24m and rebounds to a height of 16m. If each time it rebound two-thirds of the previous height, find the total distance traveled by the ball.

Homework Equations

I thought this might be a problem approaching infinity even though the ball cannot bounce infinitely. So i used the equation a/1-r where r was two-thirds and a was 24. That didn't work; however, when I added 24 and 16 then divided it by 1-r i got the correct answer, 120m. Was this a correct procedure? if not could you explain which procedure should be used in this case.

Hey, 24m was the height the ball dropped at 16m was the height it rised. From then on the height dropped=previous height rised=2/3 previous height dropped and height rised=2/3 previous height rised.

So i got two sum of infinities,
Distance traveled = 24/1-(2/3) + 16/1-(2/3) = 120

jackscholar said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Your second procedure is right, but it looks like you stumbled on it, rather than figured it out.

Each bounce of the ball takes it to 2/3 the previous height reached. But the ball also needs to come down from that height to hit the floor before it bounces again.

So the balls falls from 24m, rebounds to 16m, falls 16m, rebounds to (16*2/3)m, falls (16*2/3)m, ...etc.

Hence you're really adding up two infinite geometric series, both with common ratio 2/3. The first denotes the "fall" steps and goes 24, 16, (16*2/3),... and the second denotes the "rise" steps and goes 16,(16*2/3),...

The total distance traveled is the sum of those two series, and it's essentially [itex]\frac{a_1}{1-r} + \frac{a_2}{1-r} = \frac{a_1 + a_2}{1-r}[/itex], which is why adding 24 and 16, then dividing by (1 - 2/3) works here.

What is the "Geometric progression ball drop problem"?

The geometric progression ball drop problem is a mathematical problem that involves dropping a ball from a certain height and calculating the total distance it travels after multiple bounces. Each time the ball bounces, it travels a fraction of the previous distance, creating a geometric progression.

What is the formula for calculating the distance traveled in the "Geometric progression ball drop problem"?

The formula for calculating the distance traveled in the geometric progression ball drop problem is D = h + 2hr, where D is the total distance traveled, h is the initial height, and r is the coefficient of restitution (a fraction between 0 and 1 that represents the bounciness of the ball).

How many times does the ball bounce in the "Geometric progression ball drop problem"?

The number of bounces in the geometric progression ball drop problem depends on the height of the initial drop and the coefficient of restitution. If the initial height is h and the coefficient of restitution is r, the number of bounces is equal to log(h)/log(1/r).

What factors can affect the outcome of the "Geometric progression ball drop problem"?

The outcome of the geometric progression ball drop problem can be affected by various factors, including the initial height, the coefficient of restitution, and the surface on which the ball is dropped. Additionally, air resistance, wind, and other external forces can also impact the outcome.

How can the "Geometric progression ball drop problem" be applied in real-life situations?

The geometric progression ball drop problem can be applied in various real-life situations, such as predicting the trajectory of a bouncing ball, calculating the distance traveled by a golf ball after hitting the ground, or determining the efficiency of a bouncy ball for a certain surface. It can also be used in physics and engineering to understand the behavior of objects in motion.