Geometric Sequence (Only 4 terms and their sums are given)

In summary, we have a geometric sequence with a common ratio of 3 and a first term of 2. The sum of t7 and t8 is 5832, while the sum of t2 and t3 is 24. Using the elimination process for solving systems of equations, we can find the common ratio and first term. The common ratio is 3 and the first term is 2.
CrimsonKnight

Homework Statement

"In a geometric sequence, the sum of t7 and t8 is 5832, the sum of t2 and t3 is 24. Find the common ratio and first term."

Homework Equations

d = t8/t7 or t3/t2
tn = a * rn-1

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought of developing a system of equations then solving by elimination. The result that I got is r = 3.8 but I have a gut feeling that it's wrong because when I plug it into the equation, it gives me unbelievably huge numbers and the end result would be negative and I believe I did something wrong when trying to find a.

Explaining the reasoning behind the solution would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you show the work here? I asked this question because I want to see how you approached this problem.

Other than that, the answer is not ##3.8##. I recommend you start this problem by indicating all available info you have.

NasuSama said:
Did you show the work here? I asked this question because I want to see how you approached this problem.

Other than that, the answer is not ##3.8##. I recommend you start this problem by indicating all available info you have.

I'm also asking help on how to approach this problem. Hope someone can enlighten us on how to solve this problem.

We can help you, but we can't answer the question for you since it's important for students to work out the problem by themselves.

Based on the problem, we know that since the sum of ##t_7## and ##t_8## is ##5832## and the sum of ##t_3## and ##t_2## is ##24##, we have

##t_2 + t_3 = 24##
##t_7 + t_8 = 5832##

Since ##t_n## is a geometric sequence, we obtain

##ar^{2 - 1} + ar^{3 - 1} = 24##
##ar^{7 - 1} + ar^{8 - 1} = 5832##

##ar + ar^{2} = 24##
##ar^{6} + ar^{7} = 5832##

Let's see if you can solve for ##r##.

Likes 1 person
NasuSama said:
We can help you, but we can't answer the question for you since it's important for students to work out the problem by themselves.

Based on the problem, we know that since the sum of ##t_7## and ##t_8## is ##5832## and the sum of ##t_3## and ##t_2## is ##24##, we have

##t_2 + t_3 = 24##
##t_7 + t_8 = 5832##

Since ##t_n## is a geometric sequence, we obtain

##ar^{2 - 1} + ar^{3 - 1} = 24##
##ar^{7 - 1} + ar^{8 - 1} = 5832##

##ar + ar^{2} = 24##

Let's see if you can solve for ##r##.

Using the elimination process for solving systems of equations:
##ar + ar^{2} = 24##

##r^{5} + r^{5} = 5808##
##2r^{5} = 5808##
## r^{5} = 243##
##r = \sqrt[5]{243}##
##r = 3##

Substituting ##r = 3## into the previous equation:
## ar + ar^{2} = 24 ##
##a = 24/ (r + r^{2}) ##
##a = 24/ (3 + 3^{2}) ##
##a = 24/(3+9)##
##a = 2##

Now I understand; I made the problem of subtracting 24 to 5832 when I should've divided it instead.
Thank you very much :)

Last edited:
Very well done!

Related to Geometric Sequence (Only 4 terms and their sums are given)

What is a geometric sequence?

A geometric sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant value, called the common ratio. The general form of a geometric sequence is a, ar, ar^2, ar^3, ... where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

How do you find the common ratio of a geometric sequence?

To find the common ratio of a geometric sequence, you divide any term by the previous term. The resulting value will be the common ratio. For example, if the sequence is 2, 6, 18, 54, then the common ratio is 6/2 = 3.

What is the formula for finding the sum of a geometric sequence?

The formula for finding the sum of a geometric sequence with only four terms is: S = a(1-r^4)/(1-r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. This formula can be used when the common ratio is not equal to 1.

How do you know if a sequence is geometric?

A sequence is geometric if each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant value, called the common ratio. To determine if a sequence is geometric, you can look for a pattern in the terms or calculate the common ratio between each term. If the common ratio is the same for each term, then the sequence is geometric.

Can a geometric sequence have negative terms?

Yes, a geometric sequence can have negative terms. The common ratio can be a negative number, which means each term will alternate between positive and negative values. For example, the sequence -2, 6, -18, 54 is a geometric sequence with a common ratio of -3.