Geometric Series: Questions & Answers

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of finding the smallest value of a constant S such that the area of S_n is smaller than S for all values of n. The conversation clarifies that this involves finding the sum to infinity, as each term in the sum represents the area of additional squares added to the shape. The wording of the question may be confusing, but it ultimately asks for the value of a constant that is greater than the area of the final square.
Physics news on Phys.org
The sum that is done here is not the sum of the areas of every S_i; it is the sum whose result is the area of S_n itself. Look at A_3 in part (e), it is given as
A_3 = a^2 + 4a^2/9 + 4a^2/27
From this, you could guess that
A_4 = a^2 + 4a^2/9 + 4a^2/27 + 4a^2/81
And so on, such that A_n is such a sum. Every new term in the sum is the area of the extra little squares tacked onto the shape.

Hi, I understand that it is a geometric series, I was concerned with part (f). My question is why use the sum to infinity?

Thanks

nokia8650 said:
Hi, I understand that it is a geometric series, I was concerned with part (f). My question is why use the sum to infinity?

Hi nokia8650! :smile:

Because you want sup{Sn}, and the sequence is increasing, so you want S. :smile:

Thanks. The question says the sum to n, so shouldn't the equation be the sum ton, not the sum to inifnity?

Thanks

Hi nokia8650! :smile:
nokia8650 said:
Thanks. The question says the sum to n …

erm … no, it doesn't … it says "Find the smallest value of the constant S such that the area of Sn < S, for all values of n."

So you want sup{area of Sn}, which is the "area of S". :smile:

Thanks for the help. Its the wording of the question that is confusing me! So the question asks for the value of a constant which is greater than the area of the "final" square?

Thanks

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio. For example, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 is a geometric series where the common ratio is 2.

2. How do you find the sum of a geometric series?

The sum of a geometric series can be calculated using the formula S = a(1-r^n)/(1-r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms. Alternatively, if the series is infinite, the sum can be found by dividing the first term by 1 minus the common ratio.

3. What is the common ratio in a geometric series?

The common ratio in a geometric series is the number by which each term is multiplied to get the next term. It can be found by dividing any term by the previous term.

4. How is a geometric series different from an arithmetic series?

In a geometric series, each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio, whereas in an arithmetic series, each term is found by adding a constant difference to the previous term. In other words, the common difference in an arithmetic series is constant, while the common ratio in a geometric series is constant.

5. What are some real-world applications of geometric series?

Geometric series can be used to model compound interest, population growth, and radioactive decay. They are also commonly used in finance and economics to calculate present and future values. Additionally, geometric series are used in computer science and engineering for data compression and signal processing.