Geometrical Optics (lens and refraction)

In summary, an aquarium is cylindrical and has a diameter of 50 cm. Sunlight first hits the bottom of the tank when the sun is at an angle of 22o with the horizon.
songoku

Homework Statement

1. A cylindrical tank 2.4 m deep is full to the brim with water. Sunlight first hits part of the tahnk bottom when the rising maes at 22o angle with the horizon. Find the tank's diameter

2. An aquarium is made from a thin-walled tube of transparent plastic 50 cm in diameter. If we are looking directly into th aquarium, what is the apparent distance to a fish 15 cm from the aquarium wall?

Homework Equations

n = c / v

n1sin i = n2 sin r

n = real depth / apparent depth

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I can't imagine the situation and I don't understand this part :"Sunlight first hits part of the tank bottom when the rising makes at 22o angle with the horizon."

2. The shape of the aquarium is cylindrical? I don't know what the diameter is used for.

Please help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm befuddled too. The poser seems to have ESL.

In part B are we looking "directly" thru the wall or from atop the aquarium?

rude man said:
I'm befuddled too. The poser seems to have ESL.
What is ESL?
In part B are we looking "directly" thru the wall or from atop the aquarium?

That's also the thing that I don't know. But let us take both cases:
a. we are looking from the top of aquarium --> we don't know the real depth so how can we find the apparent depth

b. we are looking directly through the wall --> no idea how to do it

songoku said:
What is ESL?
English as Second Language.

That's also the thing that I don't know. But let us take both cases:
a. we are looking from the top of aquarium --> we don't know the real depth so how can we find the apparent depth

b. we are looking directly through the wall --> no idea how to do it

Me neither. Don't understand the question at all.

Sunlight refracted to just reach the bottom of the tank.

Attachments

• sunlight into tank.jpg
    sunlight into tank.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 844
Basic_Physics said:
Sunlight refracted to just reach the bottom of the tank.

Oh it is actually pretty easy. Just use the snell's law to find the angle of refraction and use tan to find the diameter.

Can you help me with the second one too?

Thanks

Fish in tank

Refraction at the wall of the tank.
The apparent depth decreases due to the refraction of the light at the water-air interface.

Attachments

• fish in tank.jpg
    fish in tank.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 529
Basic_Physics said:
Refraction at the wall of the tank.
The apparent depth decreases due to the refraction of the light at the water-air interface.

Thanks a lot for your help :smile:

Related to Geometrical Optics (lens and refraction)

1. What is the difference between concave and convex lenses?

Concave lenses are thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, causing light rays passing through them to diverge. Convex lenses, on the other hand, are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing light rays passing through them to converge.

2. How does refraction occur in a lens?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a lens. This occurs because the speed of light changes as it moves from one medium (such as air) to another (such as glass). As light enters a lens, it slows down and bends towards the normal (an imaginary line perpendicular to the surface of the lens). As it exits the lens, it speeds up and bends away from the normal.

3. What is the focal length of a lens?

The focal length of a lens is the distance between the center of the lens and the point where parallel light rays converge or appear to converge after passing through the lens. It is a measure of how strongly the lens bends light and is determined by the shape and curvature of the lens.

4. What is the difference between real and virtual images?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point after passing through a lens. This image can be projected onto a screen and is always inverted. A virtual image is formed when light rays only appear to converge at a point, but they do not actually do so. This image cannot be projected onto a screen and is always upright.

5. How can I calculate the magnification of a lens?

The magnification of a lens is the ratio of the size of the image produced by the lens to the size of the object placed in front of the lens. It can be calculated using the formula M = -i/o, where M is the magnification, i is the image distance (distance from the lens to the image), and o is the object distance (distance from the lens to the object).