Geometry and the principles of a spherometer

• Thread starter BOAS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the equation for finding the radius of a sphere using a spherometer is r = \frac{h^{2} + l^{2}}{2h}, where h is the height of the spherometer and l is the distance from the center to the spherometer leg. This can be derived from using the Pythagorean theorem on a right triangle formed by the radius and legs of the spherometer.
BOAS
Hello,

i'm struggling to understand the equation I've been given for finding the radius of a sphere by using a spherometer. I wasn't sure if this would be better in the physics section, but I figured it is essentially geometry.

Homework Statement

"From the diagram, simple geometry shows that the radius, r may be calculated from the formula [itex]r = \frac{h^{2} + l^{2}}{2h}[/itex]"

See attached for the diagram.

The Attempt at a Solution

The [itex]h^{2} + l^{2}[/itex] term makes me think that the curved surface is being approximated as the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle, but I can't make sense of where dividing by [itex]2h[/itex] gets you.

I've been trying to relate it to the formula for the radius of a circle using an arc, but I'm npt getting anywhere.

Please can you help?

Thanks!

Attachments

• spherometer.PNG
    spherometer.PNG
    9 KB · Views: 804
Physics news on Phys.org
We can take the equation of the sphere to be [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= r^2[/itex]. The circular boundary of the lens is at z= r- h so [itex]x^2+ y^2+ r^2- 2rh+ h^2= r^2[/itex] and then [itex]x^2+ y^2- 2rh+ h^2= 0[/itex] or [itex]x^2+ y^2= 2rh- h^2[/itex].

That is a circle with radius [itex]l= \sqrt{2rh- h^2}[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
We can take the equation of the sphere to be [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= r^2[/itex]. The circular boundary of the lens is at z= r- h so [itex]x^2+ y^2+ r^2- 2rh+ h^2= r^2[/itex] and then [itex]x^2+ y^2- 2rh+ h^2= 0[/itex] or [itex]x^2+ y^2= 2rh- h^2[/itex].

That is a circle with radius [itex]l= \sqrt{2rh- h^2}[/itex].

I don't understand exactly what you've done. What is the 'circular boundary of the lens'?

I follow your steps algebraically, but the resulting formula is not the same as stated in my lab book. Are the two actually equivalent?

I am confused what 'r' denotes in your explanation if you're using l for radius...

BOAS said:
Hello,

i'm struggling to understand the equation I've been given for finding the radius of a sphere by using a spherometer. I wasn't sure if this would be better in the physics section, but I figured it is essentially geometry.

Homework Statement

"From the diagram, simple geometry shows that the radius, r may be calculated from the formula [itex]r = \frac{h^{2} + l^{2}}{2h}[/itex]"

See attached for the diagram.

The Attempt at a Solution

The [itex]h^{2} + l^{2}[/itex] term makes me think that the curved surface is being approximated as the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle, but I can't make sense of where dividing by [itex]2h[/itex] gets you.

I've been trying to relate it to the formula for the radius of a circle using an arc, but I'm npt getting anywhere.

Please can you help?

Thanks!

Draw the radius from the center to the spherometer leg. That forms a right triangle with hypotenuse ##r## and legs ##l## and ##r-h##. Use the Pythagorean theorem and solve for r.

LCKurtz said:
Draw the radius from the center to the spherometer leg. That forms a right triangle with hypotenuse ##r## and legs ##l## and ##r-h##. Use the Pythagorean theorem and solve for r.

Thank you!

Got it.

Related to Geometry and the principles of a spherometer

1. What is geometry and how does it relate to a spherometer?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of shapes, sizes, positions, and dimensions of objects. A spherometer is a geometric instrument used to measure the curvature of a spherical surface.

2. How does a spherometer work?

A spherometer has three adjustable legs that can be moved to touch the surface of a spherical object. The instrument measures the distance between the legs and calculates the curvature of the surface based on the known dimensions of the spherometer.

3. What are the principles behind a spherometer?

The principles of a spherometer are based on the geometric relationship between the three legs and the spherical surface. By measuring the distance between the legs and the curvature of the surface, the spherometer can determine the radius of curvature and the center of the sphere.

4. What is the practical application of a spherometer?

A spherometer is commonly used in optics, specifically in the manufacturing and testing of lenses. It can also be used in surface metrology to measure the roundness or curvature of objects.

5. Are there any limitations to using a spherometer?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a spherometer. It can only measure the curvature of spherical surfaces, and the accuracy is dependent on the skill of the operator. The size and shape of the object being measured can also affect the accuracy of the results.