How Is the Surface Area Formula Derived from the Geometry of a Frustum?

• Thread starter ElijahRockers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary: This formula can be derived using geometry, as shown in the link provided. However, the link only shows how to find the required measurements in terms of the radii and height. To get the surface area in terms of these variables, we can use some circle geometry and algebra, but it can become complicated. Therefore, it is easier to use the integration method to find the surface area.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member
when calculating the surface area of curves rotated about axes, you supposedly integrate 2∏f(x)√(1+f '(x)2) dx. This has been explained to me as being derived from the geometry of a frustum, and I understand how the integration works, but I am confused as the process of deriving this formula - actually churning out the derivation. I feel like most explanations I read on the geometry are skipping a step or two, and it's confusing me.

http://www.analyzemath.com/Geometry/conical_frustum.html

The above link seems to have the most concise method, and I understand how to find all the required measurements in terms of r, R, and H, but they don't actually show how to get the surface area in terms of r, R, and H. I tried a bit of circle geometry to figure it out, but the math started getting pretty hairy.

I figured the surface area of the frustum should be the area of the 'complete' sector minus the area of the 'little' sector. perhaps I still don't completely understand the area of a circle yet?

any insight or links appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for the surface area of a curve rotated about an axis comes from the equation for the surface area of a conical frustum. A frustum is a cone with two circular bases of different radii. The surface area of a conical frustum is equal to the sum of the areas of both its bases, plus the lateral surface area between the two bases. The lateral surface area can be calculated by integrating the circumference of the circle at any point along the length of the frustum. The circumference of a circle at any point along its length is given by 2πf(x) where f(x) is the radius at that point. Since the radius is changing (as it follows the curve of the frustum), we use the differential form of the circumference equation, which is 2πf(x)√(1+f'(x)2). We then integrate this equation from the lower bound of the frustum (x=a) to the upper bound (x=b) to get the lateral surface area of the frustum. Finally, we add the areas of the two bases to get the total surface area.

Related to How Is the Surface Area Formula Derived from the Geometry of a Frustum?

1. What is a frustum?

A frustum is a geometric shape that is formed when a cone or pyramid is cut by a plane parallel to its base. It resembles a cone or pyramid with its top portion cut off.

2. What are the properties of a frustum?

The properties of a frustum include two parallel bases with different radii, a curved lateral surface, and a height. It also has a slant height, which is the distance from the apex to the edge of the top base, and a lateral surface area and volume that can be calculated using specific formulas.

3. How is a frustum different from a cone?

A frustum differs from a cone in that it has two parallel bases with different radii, while a cone has only one circular base. A frustum also has a curved lateral surface, while a cone has a slanted lateral surface.

4. What are the real-life applications of a frustum?

Frustums are commonly used in architecture and engineering, such as in the design of buildings with sloped roofs or in the construction of bridges and tunnels. They are also used in manufacturing, for example, in the production of lampshades and containers with tapered sides.

5. How is a frustum related to other geometric shapes?

A frustum is related to other geometric shapes, such as a cone, pyramid, and cylinder. It can be seen as a combination of a cone and a cylinder, with its top portion being a cone and its bottom portion being a cylinder. It also shares similar formulas for calculating its lateral surface area and volume with these shapes.