Geroler Motor Displacement Calc | Hobby Project

In summary: The compression ratio will be about 3:1. In summary, to calculate the torque a geroler motor can produce at a given pressure, you must first calculate the radius of the crank, and look at the areas that oppose the input and output pressures. You will also need to determine the compression ratio of the motor.
Stormer
Hi. I want to design a custom Geroler motor for a hobby project of mine, but I want to calculate the torque it can produce at a given pressure and for that i need to calculate the motors displacement, but how do i do that?
eaton3.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Stormer said:
Hi. I want to design a custom Geroler motor for a hobby project of mine, but I want to calculate the torque it can produce at a given pressure and for that i need to calculate the motors displacement, but how do i do that?
To find the torque, you must look at the areas that oppose the input and output pressures. You must also look at the radius to those areas. For a geroler, those areas are the sides of the gear teeth multiplied by the axial length of the gear. The radius of the geroler crank is important in computing torque.

Stormer said:
Also does it matter in any way that i will feed it a compressible fluid (gas) like air i stead of a liquid like oil or water that it usually uses other than the clearances for leakage?
If the inlet pressure and the outlet pressure are fixed, then the torque will be due to the differential areas. But pressures are determined by external connections.

Baluncore said:
To find the torque, you must look at the areas that oppose the input and output pressures. You must also look at the radius to those areas. For a geroler, those areas are the sides of the gear teeth multiplied by the axial length of the gear. The radius of the geroler crank is important in computing torque.
Well the CAD program does not output the area. So how can i calculate it?

Stormer said:
Well the CAD program does not output the area. So how can i calculate it?
When the tip of the tooth touches the fixed roller, the exposed faces of the tooth oppose the differential pressure.
The pressure on the centre of the tooth face is on the other side of the rotor from fixed rollers. The centre of the rotor is on the crank pin and applies twice the tooth force to the crank.
The depth of a tooth multiplied by it's length, is the face area = A;
The differential fluid pressure is = dP;
The tooth force is; F = A * dP;
The crank force is 2 * F;
The crank radius is R;
The torque is T = R * 2 * dP * A;

Last edited:
I can't think of a more difficult motor to make. You will need a set of valves machined into the shaft to direct the fluid. You will need a diagonal shaft with modified splines at both ends, or a crank.

If one gear rotates against another rotating gear it is a gear motor, or a gerotor.
If one gear rotates inside a fixed gear it is some type of vane motor, or a geroler.

It would be easier to make a traditional two-gear motor, or a gerotor with a rotating spool to carry the rollers, with an inner rotor profiled like the rotor in a geroler. Those ways your inlet and exhaust ports can remain fixed.

Baluncore said:
or a gerotor with a rotating spool to carry the rollers, with an inner rotor profiled like the rotor in a geroler.
So are you saying that a geroler with a rotating outer housing (and inner rotor) is not a geroler?

The reason for wanting a geroler over a gerotor is because the "pins" can be rollers that can reduce friction and wear. And they can be hardened steel. And because it will be easier to machine the housing with the pins than making a gerotor housing. Because presision pins is off the shelf parts, and drilling and reaming a hole to a precision fit is pretty easy.

Stormer said:
So are you saying that a geroler with a rotating outer housing (and inner rotor) is not a geroler?
Geroler is not a technical term, it is a Trade mark. You will need to ask the holder how they define a geroler.

Will the centre of the rotor in your motor be fixed, or will it orbit the shaft?
That has implications to the valves you will use to direct the fluid.

Attachments

• Geroler_vs_Roller Gerotor Design.png
    Geroler_vs_Roller Gerotor Design.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
I was thinking the housing with the rollers would rotate together with the "star" yes. So i can have a simple fixed valveplate.

If you look at the roller-gerotor diagram in my post #7, you will see that there is a maximum fluid volume between two rollers when two rotor lobes touch those two rollers. That area is at the top of the rotor.
You will also see that there is a minimum fluid volume at the bottom of the rotor where a rotor lobe is between two rollers.
For a 6 lobe rotor, the displacement per shaft revolution is 6 times the difference between those volumes.
For an air motor, the compression ratio will be the ratio of those volumes.

1. What is a Geroler motor?

A Geroler motor is a type of hydraulic motor that uses an inner gear rotor and an outer gear stator to convert fluid pressure into rotational motion. It is commonly used in industrial and hobby projects due to its compact size and high torque capabilities.

2. How does a Geroler motor work?

A Geroler motor works by using the fluid pressure from a hydraulic system to rotate the inner gear rotor, which in turn rotates the outer gear stator. This creates a continuous circular motion that can be used to power various mechanical systems.

3. What is displacement in a Geroler motor?

Displacement in a Geroler motor refers to the volume of fluid that is displaced by the rotor and stator as they rotate. It is typically measured in cubic inches or cubic centimeters and is an important factor in determining the motor's speed and torque output.

4. How do I calculate the displacement of a Geroler motor?

The displacement of a Geroler motor can be calculated by multiplying the number of lobes on the rotor by the width of the rotor and then dividing by the number of lobes on the stator. This formula can vary slightly depending on the specific design of the motor, so it is best to consult the manufacturer's specifications for an accurate calculation.

5. What are some common uses for Geroler motors in hobby projects?

Geroler motors are commonly used in hobby projects for tasks such as powering robotic arms, controlling steering mechanisms in RC vehicles, and driving conveyor belts or other mechanical systems. They are also popular in DIY projects for their simplicity and versatility.