Get recommendations for graduate schools while not in school?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's struggle to find academic recommendations for graduate school due to not building relationships with professors during their undergraduate years. They are advised to take courses and ask instructors they did well in for recommendations, as well as consider reaching out to their personal tutor.
PhillipWong
I graduated in 2010 with a degree in math. Now I wish to go to graduate school, but I have no one I can think of that I would help me write a academic recommendation. I never build any relationships with professors when I was in college. From reading what I can online, I am told that I should take a course, or two to build new relationships with professors, but for me it is hard to run off, because I still have work, and job to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need letters from your old professors. It may not be the ideal situation, but you don't seem to have any alternatives - the letters have to come from people who went to grad school themselves.

I'm in a similar situation, but two of my physics professors have retired. :(

Are there any courses that you did particularly well in? You could ask the instructors of those courses to write you a recommendation, even if you didn't build a relationship with them.

And what about your personal tutor? I don't know about other countries, but all undergraduate students in the UK have personal tutors.

As a fellow scientist, I understand the importance of academic recommendations for graduate school applications. It can be challenging to obtain recommendations if you did not build relationships with professors during your undergraduate years. However, there are still ways to obtain strong recommendations even if you are not currently enrolled in school.

One option is to take a course or two as you mentioned. This will allow you to build new relationships with professors who can then provide recommendations based on your recent academic performance. If it is difficult for you to take time off from work, you can consider taking online courses or evening classes that may better fit your schedule.

Another option is to reach out to professionals in your field who can speak to your abilities and potential as a graduate student. This can include colleagues, mentors, or supervisors from your current or past jobs. They can provide a different perspective on your skills and work ethic which can be valuable to admissions committees.

Additionally, you can also consider volunteer work or internships in your field of interest. This can provide you with opportunities to work closely with professionals who can then provide you with strong recommendations.

In any case, it is important to be proactive and start building relationships as soon as possible. Do not be afraid to reach out to professors or professionals and ask for their assistance. They may also be able to provide you with guidance on which graduate programs would be best suited for your interests and goals.

Overall, while it may be more challenging to obtain recommendations while not in school, it is not impossible. Be resourceful and use your network to your advantage. With determination and effort, you can secure strong recommendations for your graduate school applications. Best of luck in your academic pursuits!

Related to Get recommendations for graduate schools while not in school?

1. How Can I Find Recommendations for Graduate Schools If I'm Not Currently Enrolled in School?

There are several ways to get recommendations for graduate schools if you are not currently in school. One option is to reach out to former professors or mentors who can speak to your academic abilities and potential. You can also attend professional events or conferences and network with professionals in your field who can provide recommendations. Additionally, consider volunteering or working in a relevant field to gain experience and potentially secure a recommendation from a supervisor or colleague.

2. Is It Necessary to Have Recommendations from Professors or Can I Use Professional References?

It is ideal to have recommendations from both professors and professionals in your field. However, if you have been out of school for a while and do not have recent academic references, professional references can be just as valuable. Make sure to choose individuals who can speak to your skills, experience, and potential for success in graduate school.

3. How Many Recommendations Do I Need for Graduate School Applications?

The number of recommendations required varies by school, so it is important to check the specific requirements for each program you are applying to. Typically, graduate schools require 2-3 recommendations, but some may ask for more. Make sure to follow the instructions provided by each school to ensure your application is complete.

4. Can I Use Recommendations from Previous Graduate Programs I Have Attended?

If you have attended a graduate program in the past, it is acceptable to use recommendations from that program for your current graduate school applications. However, make sure the recommendations are recent and relevant to the program you are applying to. If you have been out of school for several years, it may be beneficial to also include recommendations from professionals in your field.

5. How Should I Request a Recommendation from Someone?

When requesting a recommendation, it is important to be polite and professional. Start by explaining why you are asking for a recommendation and provide the person with relevant information about the program you are applying to. Be sure to give the person enough time to write the recommendation and provide them with any necessary materials, such as your resume or personal statement. After the recommendation is submitted, make sure to thank the person for their time and effort.