Getting a Physics degree later in life.

In summary, if you're interested in a career in physics, you should pursue a degree, even if you're not young enough to finish in a few years. It's not an easy path, but it's definitely possible and there are many opportunities for success.
Jeff Grayson
I am an older person (30 +) that has worked in technology for nearly 20 years. I have worked on and with High Performance Technical computing clusters to support NASA and scientist. I have no degrees. I have always has a deep interest and enjoy Astronomy, Physics, Cosmology. I am thinking about going to school to get a degree (MS or PhD) in physics or a related field. How hard is the path I am looking at? How expensive is it going to be?

I am looking at starting out this way.

Community college to get basics out of the way.
then transfer to a 4 year school then possibly on word.

I also have thought about working in computational physics. Since I have a 20 year background in IT. Thoughts or comments?

I also will need to support my family and I on this path.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got my BS taking one or two classes per quarter and it took 9-1/2 years. It's possible to do this way, but it's definitely a slog.

I wouldn't let your age influence you...it's really not the issue. Perhaps you're thinking "I'll be (fill in the blank) years old by the time I graduate!" Well you're going to be that old anyway - do you want to be that old with, or without, a degree?

It all comes down to how much you want it.

I'm in a similar boat, going back for a Physics degree 8 years after completing a degree in Kinesiology...

I hesitated for too long because of the "I'll be THAT old when I get my PhD."
What finally made me realize I should go for it is the realization that I do want to do this and EARNING the degree will probably bring me at least as much excitement and joy as HAVING the degree.

If you do enjoy it and plan to do it for the rest of your life, you'll be doing Physics at ages much older than the age you'll be when you complete your degree.

I saw a recent interview with Ed Witten where he is asked for his thoughts on Physicists seeming to make their "best" discoveries in their 20's.
Ed says that he made his best discoveries in his 30's, until he made his best discoveries in his 40's...and hopefully he'll continue that with his best discoveries in his 50's. (...a very lenient paraphrase of what I remember him saying).

Related to Getting a Physics degree later in life.

1. Can I still pursue a Physics degree later in life?

Yes, absolutely! Age should not be a barrier to pursuing your passion for Physics. Many people choose to go back to school and get a degree in Physics later in life, and it is never too late to do so.

2. Will my age affect my ability to understand and learn complex concepts in Physics?

No, age does not necessarily impact your ability to learn complex concepts in Physics. In fact, many older students bring valuable life experiences and critical thinking skills that can enhance their understanding of Physics.

3. Are there any specific challenges that older students may face while pursuing a Physics degree?

Some common challenges that older students may face include managing family and work responsibilities while attending school, adjusting to a classroom setting after being away from school for a while, and keeping up with the fast-paced coursework.

4. Are there any advantages to getting a Physics degree later in life?

Absolutely! Older Physics students often have a strong work ethic and better time management skills, which can help them excel in their studies. Additionally, many employers value the dedication and determination shown by individuals who pursue a degree later in life.

5. Will my age affect my job prospects after graduating with a Physics degree?

No, your age should not affect your job prospects. Employers are primarily interested in your knowledge, skills, and abilities, regardless of your age. In fact, having a Physics degree later in life can demonstrate your commitment and passion for the field, which can be attractive to potential employers.