Getting a professor to go over your academic transcript with you

In summary, some people worry that submitting their transcript along with their graduate school application may negatively impact the opinion of their recommenders, who may weigh certain aspects more heavily than others. However, it is common for recommenders to review a student's transcript before writing a recommendation, and this information may help them provide a more comprehensive and accurate evaluation. Despite this, some may still be surprised or unsure about the significance of a recommender looking at a transcript when writing a recommendation.
Simfish
Gold Member
Does anyone else do this when applying to grad schools? And does anyone restrain themselves from doing this?

There's always the risk that the person writing your LOR might think less of you if they see your transcript, and that could decrease their opinion of you (an opinion that could be reflected in that LOR) => of course, you could have strengths on your transcript, but each professor is different, and some professors will weigh "negative" things as more strongly negative than others - they might also weigh "positive" things less strongly positive than others. On the other hand, the people reading your app will read both your LORs and your transcript, and they might note things that might seem to be discrepancies at first.

For those of us who might have a particularly strong (albeit not necessarily fatal) weakness in one area, this might be a significant concern. I'm definitely one of the stronger students in my department, but I have some really horrible grades in my first 2 years.

Physics news on Phys.org
If your professors are like me, they're going to look over your transcript anyway, before writing a recommendation. Professors here can call up any student's current transcript via their online access to the course registration system.

Oh, do they always look at your transcript before writing a recommendation? Why does that information help? (if it's information that the adcom is going to get anyways?)

I'm surprised a recommender would even look at your transcript. Aren't they suppose to write their recommendation based off their personal experience with you?

I understand the importance of having a strong academic transcript when applying to grad schools. However, I also understand the fear of having a professor see your transcript and potentially judge you based on it. Each professor has their own biases and may weigh certain aspects of your transcript differently. It's understandable to feel apprehensive about this.

However, I believe it is important to have a professor review your transcript with you, especially if you have any concerns about certain grades or discrepancies. This allows you to address any potential issues and provide context for your grades. It also shows that you are proactive and taking ownership of your academic record.

That being said, I can also understand why some individuals may choose to not have a professor review their transcript. It ultimately depends on your personal comfort level and your relationship with the professor. If you feel that the professor may not be understanding or may negatively impact your LOR, then it may be best to not have them review it.

In any case, it's important to remember that your transcript is just one aspect of your application. Admissions committees will also consider your personal statement, letters of recommendation, and other experiences. So even if you have a weakness in one area, you can still showcase your strengths in other areas. It's important to have a well-rounded application.

In conclusion, while it may be nerve-wracking to have a professor review your transcript, I believe it is still beneficial to do so in order to address any concerns and provide context for your grades. Ultimately, it's up to the individual to decide whether or not to have a professor review their transcript, but it is important to remember that your transcript is just one aspect of your application and does not define your entire academic record.

Related to Getting a professor to go over your academic transcript with you

1. What is the purpose of having a professor go over my academic transcript with me?

The purpose of having a professor go over your academic transcript with you is to gain a better understanding of your academic progress and to receive feedback and guidance on your academic performance. This can also help you identify any areas of improvement and develop a plan for future academic success.

2. How do I approach a professor to go over my academic transcript?

It is best to schedule an appointment with the professor or attend their office hours to discuss your academic transcript. You can also send an email to introduce yourself and explain your request. Be sure to be respectful and professional in your communication.

3. Will a professor be able to explain any discrepancies or concerns on my academic transcript?

Yes, a professor can provide explanations for any discrepancies or concerns on your academic transcript. They can also offer suggestions on how to address these issues and improve your academic standing.

4. Can a professor help me plan my future coursework based on my academic transcript?

Yes, a professor can assist you in planning your future coursework based on your academic transcript. They can provide advice on which courses to take, the order to take them in, and any additional resources that may be helpful.

5. Is it necessary to have a professor go over my academic transcript if I am doing well in my classes?

Even if you are doing well in your classes, it can still be beneficial to have a professor go over your academic transcript with you. They can provide valuable insights and recommendations for further academic success. It is also a good opportunity to build a relationship with a professor and seek mentorship.