Getting Planck's Law in terms of frequency from wavelength

In summary, the equation for Planck's law expressed in terms of the frequency f is:u(f) = (-8πhf3/c3)(ehf/kT - 1)
Kavorka
Show that Planck's law expressed in terms of the frequency f is:
u(f) = (8πf2/c3)(hf/(ehf/kT - 1))

from the equation:

u(λ) = (8πhcλ-5)/(ehc/λkT - 1)

When I do this algebraically by simply plugging in λ = c/f, I get:

u(f) = (8πhc-4)/(f-5(ehf/kT - 1)

which clearly doesn't involve the correct powers of c and f.

This is the same thing I get when going back and putting n(λ) = 8πλ^-4 in terms of the frequency and multiplying it by the average energy E bar = hf/(ehf/kT - 1) to get u(f).

Going through all of these equations is confusing and I am having trouble putting it all together, but I figure that the problem is I need to go back and differentiate somewhere, since n(λ) is found from n(λ)dλ which involves the range between λ and λ+dλ, but it hasn't been converted to the range between f and f+df. I don't know how I would go about doing any of this...please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Planck's law is a distribution function, so you can simply start by considering ##u(\lambda) d\lambda## (radiance per unit wavelength times unit wavelength), which you can easily convert to ##u(f) df##, for which you get ##u(f)##.

You would have to put dλ in terms of df then right? If λ = c/f, then dλ = -c/f2 df?

So I already found u(f) correctly (I think), so multiplying my equation for u(f) by df would get:

u(f)df = (8πhc-4)/(f-5(ehf/kT - 1) (-c/f2 df)

Dropping the df to get u(f) and simplifying:

u(f) = (-8πhc-3)/(f-3(ehf/kT - 1) = (-8πhf3/c3)(ehf/kT - 1)

Alright that is exactly the answer I need, except that my answer is negative because of the negative derivative. I'm not sure how to resolve that.

Kavorka said:
Alright that is exactly the answer I need, except that my answer is negative because of the negative derivative. I'm not sure how to resolve that.
If you integrate from wavelength ##\lambda_1## to ##\lambda_2##, with ##\lambda_2 > \lambda_1##, when happens when you convert that to frequency?

You'll integrate from f1 to f2 with f1>f2?

Yes, and considering that normally you want to integrate from low frequency to high frequency, what do you need to change?

Ah, I understand. So could I indicate this by writing that:

λ21 and f1>f2 thus when ∫u(λ)dλ → ∫u(f)df

f2f1 u(f)df = -∫f1f2 u(f)df

Thus u(f) = (-8πhf3/c3)(ehf/kT - 1) taken from f1 to f2 =
u(f) = (8πhf3/c3)(ehf/kT - 1) taken from f2 to f1

Or maybe a simpler way?

I don't think there is a simpler way to demonstrate it.

Thanks for your help!

1. What is Planck's Law?

Planck's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the distribution of energy emitted by a blackbody, a theoretical object that absorbs all incident radiation. It relates the amount of energy emitted at a certain wavelength to the temperature of the blackbody.

2. How is Planck's Law derived?

Planck's Law was derived by German physicist Max Planck in 1900. It was originally derived using statistical mechanics and quantum theory to explain the phenomenon of blackbody radiation.

3. What is the significance of expressing Planck's Law in terms of frequency?

Expressing Planck's Law in terms of frequency allows for easier comparison and analysis of different types of electromagnetic radiation. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the relationship between energy and wavelength.

4. How do you convert Planck's Law from wavelength to frequency?

To convert Planck's Law from wavelength to frequency, you can use the formula c = λf, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency. By rearranging the formula, we can express Planck's Law in terms of frequency as B(f) = (2hf^3/c^2) * 1/(e^(hf/kT) - 1), where B(f) is the spectral radiance, h is Planck's constant, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature.

5. How is Planck's Law used in practical applications?

Planck's Law is used in various applications such as in astronomy, where it helps to determine the temperature of celestial bodies based on their emitted radiation, and in thermal imaging technology, where it is used to measure the temperature of objects by analyzing their emitted infrared radiation. It is also used in the development of energy-efficient lighting sources, such as LED lights, by understanding the relationship between energy and wavelength of light.