Getting rid of noise in derivative?

In summary, the speaker is working with Current-Voltage data in excel and needs to compute dV/dI. They are encountering noise in their derivative and are considering using excel's SLOPE function or fitting a line to the data and differentiating it. They are also discussing potential methods for smoothing the derivative, such as a multi-point method or fitting a smooth function to the data first.
jadi929
Hey guys, I'm working on some Current-Voltage data in excel. I need to do some analysis with the data, and the first step is to compute dV/dI. I have to do this in excel so decided to use excel's SLOPE function (5 point slope) to compute dV/dI. However, it seems that the derivative has a lot of noise, especially towards the lower values. Since I am writing a program to automate this analysis, I would really like to get rid of this noise.

Another way I thought of was to fit a line to my initial data, and simply differentiate the fitted line's equation. However, I can't seem to get a decent fit for my initial curve.

Pic shows the initial data and my horrible looking derivative.

i_v_curve.jpg

screenshot app

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want a mathematically defensible way to smooth the derivative then you need to explain the nature of the "noise". in the data - e.g. can it be modeled as an independent random error at each measurement?

Another thing to try is a "multi-point method" for estimating the derivative. For example, see the "Higher-order methods" section of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_differentiation. (However, I don't know if that method has any "noise cancelation" properties.)

If you only want a nice pitcure, Is there some reason that you can't fit a smooth function to the data first and then plot the derivative of that function?

Related to Getting rid of noise in derivative?

1. How does noise affect the accuracy of derivatives?

Noise can significantly distort the true values of derivatives, making them less accurate. This is because noise adds random fluctuations to the data, making it difficult to determine the actual change in the signal.

2. What are some common methods for getting rid of noise in derivatives?

Some common methods for reducing noise in derivatives include using filters, smoothing techniques, and applying mathematical algorithms such as least squares or wavelet transforms.

3. How does filtering work to remove noise in derivatives?

Filtering involves passing the data through a mathematical algorithm that removes the high-frequency components of the signal, which are often associated with noise. This results in a smoother signal with less noise.

4. Are there any downsides to using filters to get rid of noise in derivatives?

While filters can effectively reduce noise in derivatives, they can also distort the signal and introduce errors if not used properly. It's important to carefully select the type of filter and its parameters to avoid altering the true values of the derivatives.

5. Is it possible to completely eliminate noise in derivatives?

Noise is an inherent part of any measurement or signal, so it is not possible to completely eliminate it. However, by using appropriate techniques and methods, it is possible to minimize the impact of noise and obtain more accurate derivatives.